My Single Vertical Cornwall Pictures

eq_shadimar

Okies you may know that I purchased a single Vertical Cornwall for use as a center channel in my system. It just came in today so here are some pictures.

Packing Pictures - Extremely well packed for cardboard. Good example if you are planning to ship Cornwalls

Picture of outside of box:

vertcornwallpacking.JPG

Opened box:

vertcornwallpacking1.JPG

Speaker uncovered:

vertcornwallpacking2.JPG

Some packing material:

vertcornwallpacking3.JPG

Finally inside:

vertcornwallstanding.JPG

Damaged bottom - This is the only major damage on the entire speaker. Any other damage is very very minor.

vertcornwallbottom.JPG

Shot of label:

vertcornwalllabel.JPG

Shot of the inside:

vertcornwallinside.JPG

Shot of crossover:

vertcornwallcrossover.JPG

Well that is all for now. I will post here as soon as I hook it up and I can report on the sound.

Laters,

----------------

On 12/4/2003 11:25:53 PM khorn58 wrote:

looks nice ,

Thats the one the was just on ebay right?

I thought of bidding but the $275 shipping scared me.

I have the mate for it in the same finsh/years ect.

mine is a right as yours is a left.

if you ever want to sell let me know
----------------

Well it was on eBay about a month ago but I didn't pay anywhere near $275.00 for the shipping, just a tad over $100 to TX. I will print out this e-mail and keep you in mind if I ever sell it 1.gif It may be stained black by then though. I am going to try and save the finish but if I mess it up too bad or can't fix it.....black it goes!

I am trying to get it hooked up right now for testing. It will be a bit before it is hung as I want to work on the cabinet a bit. I am a bit concerned on the mounting plan I was going to use. On the Heresy II I have now the back is solid not removable. Since I hang the speaker from the back I am concerned about the Cornwall's removable back. I don't know if the screws in the back will hold the weight of the speaker. I am also wondering how hard it would be to remove the cane grill. I was going to run it without the grill mainly for style purposes. I had forgotten that the older models didn't have a removable grill so that kindda throws a kink in the plans too. So I am fixing to do a bunch of figuring as they say here in TX.

Laters,

Some pictures of the speaker in a temporary location. It is about a foot away from the TV to prevent picture distortion because the Cornwall is not shielded.

First impressions are that it has much better bass (of course) and I dunno really seems more involving for lack of a better term. So it will be a great improvement I am sure. I realize that I should have posted this in the HT Section sorry about that.

Speaker in upright position:

vertcornwalltvup.JPG

Speaker on its side:

vertcornwalltvside.JPG

Laters,

Wow, great pictures! What shipper did you use? I'll have to find and post shots of the Cornwall's I sent to lshannon in Portland. Man, if Cornwalls make it OK with the packing yours received, then mine were about 10 times over-packed! Oh, well. A carpenter's gotta build...

BTW nice socks. Tom Adams will agree...

Fini - I will check the shipper tonight. I didn't choose it but it was Air something or other. Your box looks very very stout!! Doubt if anything would damage that!

Colin - I looked for some markings on the crossover but there was nothing obvious. The box after the "Type" looked empty but perhaps it was stamped. I will remove the crossover tonight for a closer look.

Before I bid on the Cornwall I did a double blind A/B comparsion between one of my other Cornwall's and the TV speakers. I used a newly developed zero switch time selector, hid everything behind a curtain, had my ears cleaned, and accounted for differences in time phase alignment (as well as tidal gravity flux 'cause speakers have magnets ya know).

Even though it was very very close, in the end the Cornwall had a slight edge so I decide to buy this one 1.gif

Laters,

Colin... 1,400+ posts and you want to use the TV's center channel.. Shame on you. KLIPSCH, KLIPSCH, KLIPSCH, accross the front if at all possible. Makes 4 a fantastic sound!!

Ed, I am sure you will be very very happy with the center on its side, older Klipsch Cornwall II. I feel semi responsible (By chatting about it, and helping others to discover it too) for the re introduction of this speaker for those with older "Heritage" type ears. It is a Fantastic Center (look at the specs) for the k horn, La Scalas or Cornwalls in a HT.

I will be looking forward to your own ears over time proving your great addition to your system.

Roger

First, it is 2400 posts, I lost a thousand when we switched BBS services,

second, my room is only 14 wide, no space for center channel,

third, with Khorns playing the cable box sound, I bring the TV up to match the volume of the Khorn setting, at my seat I can only hear the center vocals anyway from the big ole horns, everything comes through the horns,

fourth, I have only 2-channel sound so far (anybody know a cheap six-channel tube SACD/DVD/CD player or cheap 5.1 tube pre-amplifier?)

fifth, the cable sound is not good enough for me to expend anymore money trying to make it much better it sound like quality FM, but not CDs or the old style 12 black vinyl analog discs

sixth, I get great stereo imaging with just the two loudspeakers so far, even on cable movies

seventh, Ive heard six channel DVDs on cheap home movie and music reproduction system and I dont think I am missing much in the QUALITY of sonic 3D holographic reproduction, yet

;)

Guest Anonymous

Boy oh boy,

the speaker should make a fantastic center, your system is awesome! I am waiting to get my hands on the pair of 1967 verts I just bought, Craig is picking them up for me in Detroit this weekend, but I am going to use the verts for my fronts, for better imaging and move my 1985 cornwall II's to the rear. Than I have to choose between taking my chorus I's and using 1 for the center or looking for another vertical single just like you did.

Do you know any one who has used a chorus as a center for cornwalls? The reason I am thinking about it is they have almost the same drivers, and they are a little bit more efficient, so for the center it may give a better sound(my thinking may be off, if you have an opinion I would really like to hear it) any way I already own the speakers and I feel it may give a better sound than the heresy 1's I am using for the centers now!

I do believe that YOU now have the setup that I REALLY want, and I am SOOOO jealous but am happy9.gif for you.

Please tell us how is sounds

Smiles Miles

Shapeshifter -Thanks for the response! Actually that letter is a "C" so it is from 1965 I think. Any idea what type of crossover that would be?

Smilin - Yeah I can't wait to mount it and everything. It will be awesome. I will sell you my entire system lock stock and barrel for $100,000.00 USD. You interested?
1.gif

Laters

That 15 is a K33J (j=JENSSEN)

I think the jennsen might be the last Anico speaker klipsch used. It is a smooth sounding speaker.

I have 2 khorns loaded with the k33j they have goood stroung bass.My 62 cornwall had this driver and it sounded smother than the one with the k33e.

Here are some answer to some of the questions asked earlier.

The shipping company was Lynden Air Freight and here is a picture of the crossover tag showing it is a Type 2RB which I guess is some version of the Type B mentioned earlier. My '76's and 79's actually say Type B on them with the B in red ink not stamped:

vertcornwallcrosstag.JPG

Thanks for all the comments so far!!

Laters,