Fortes in the house.... heartbreak ensues.

Thoriated_Tiger

Yep, Call Klipsch.

I recently broke one of those tiny wires while dynamating the horns in my Forte 2's. Cost about $20 each with shipping. Had new ones in a week, and installation took about 20 minutes. Piece of cake!

I'd also recommend to anyone changing these to replace both to make sure they are the same. Plus, if one's bad the other probably isn't far behind.

And they are cheap fixes too.

And I thought I was confused 1.gif

Went to a local spkr repair shop (Lakes Electronics in Pompano Beach FL). Guy had one new diaphragm, one old diaphragm.. so I didn't get 'em. I did however get to see the thing dismantled. The k-75 diaphragm is one-piece, integrated voicecoil, diaphragm and terminals. No soldering required, it is keyed so it is real tough to screw the install up.

Called Klipsch, they're 17.95 each, got a pair coming to me.

Thanks to all the posters. Now another long wait starts... 5-10 days is too long! 1.gif

"All are intact, they actually survived UPS shipping."

UPS is notorious for destroying shipments. I've had two amps completely destroyed by the time they reached me. It seems the "FRAGILE" labeling on the packages is of no corcern to the UPS package handlers. I'd hazard a guess that since they figure that most packages are insured anyway so who cares. Well, they lost their business quickly from me.

It sounds like your on the way to an easy repair.

I was going to point out that you just unscrew three nuts at the front of the driver, or just behind the horn. Out will come an assmbly which includes the two electrical terminals, the diaphragm, and the fried voice coil. That is exactly what gets replaced.

I noticed that there is a wad of soft fiberglass about the size of a nickle sitting behind the dome of the diaphragm. It is just in the voice coil former (the thimble the voice coil is wound upon). I fished it out of the old assembly with a pair of tweezers and put it in the new.

The only other thing to note is the wiring. Green is positive and black is negative.

Let us all know how it goes.

Gil

----------------

On 12/11/2003 3:46:01 PM neo33 wrote:

"All are intact, they actually survived UPS shipping."

UPS is notorious for destroying shipments. I've had two amps completely destroyed by the time they reached me. It seems the "FRAGILE" labeling on the packages is of no corcern to the UPS package handlers. I'd hazard a guess that since they figure that most packages are insured anyway so who cares. Well, they lost their business quickly from me.

----------------

I really, really pestered the seller about proper packing. I shot for double-boxed with bubblewrap around speaker, and first box. He couldn't do double-box (claims it would have exceeded UPS max dimensions.) but he did board up the drone (as requested), and bubble-wrapped the beejeesus out of 'em. Even with a puncture in one box, they arrived without a scratch.

UPS demolished one monitor we ordered at work (21" Sony). Its replacement dissapeared Dec. 23 at the Hialeah depot (Guess it went under someone's xmas tree.) The third monitor made it.

I was really, really, really nervous about UPS handling these. I know they're famous for reducing speakers to sawdust.

Got lucky, I guess.. but still am miffed about the burnt out tweets. Oh well. Can't win 'em all...

----------------

On 12/11/2003 3:56:40 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

It sounds like your on the way to an easy repair.

I was going to point out that you just unscrew three nuts at the front of the driver, or just behind the horn. Out will come an assmbly which includes the two electrical terminals, the diaphragm, and the fried voice coil. That is exactly what gets replaced.

I noticed that there is a wad of soft fiberglass about the size of a nickle sitting behind the dome of the diaphragm. It is just in the voice coil former (the thimble the voice coil is wound upon). I fished it out of the old assembly with a pair of tweezers and put it in the new.

The only other thing to note is the wiring. Green is positive and black is negative.

Let us all know how it goes.

Gil

----------------

Yeah. Once I saw it apart it was blatantly obvious. As for the wiring, my Forte I's are diff: The white wire is gnd, the red/white is hot. I'll post my impressions of the Forte / Dynaco / ARC marriage once I get 'em going. 1.gif

While I got y'alls attention, any way to remove light (barely visible from say more than a foot away) water stain on the top? These are oiled walnut, if that makes a diff.

I can sling solder, but I'm totally ignorant about wood -- I've seen references here to steel wool (!) and other abrasives.

Anything, ahem, less gritty y'all can recommend? My boss said rubbing compound. Yeah, the same stuff used on cars..

I just dont' want to wind up having to have 'em re-veneered.

Hi Thoriated_Tiger, sorry can't help you with wood finishes but I have replaced quite a few voice coils. Voice coils should be the color of shiny new pennies not burnt and black. Pro horns not only sound great but are easy to fix. Just be careful not to crush or bend the new coils when you place them into the gap in the magnet and when replacing the horn tighten them as you would a tire on a car. All the way around evenly, they only need to be snug not torqued like a car tire/wheel. You'll see how easy it's going to be when you disassemble your horn.