FOR SALE 1976 CORNWALLS DESIGNER SERIES $850.00

playntheblues

----------------

On 12/10/2003 10:33:28 PM playntheblues wrote:

I just purchased these from the original owner and I hate to say it but they are just not for me. They have a medium brown stain. All original, Alnico Type B crossover. They have Klipsch Grills and name plates. Condition is 9.8

----------------

Can you post pics please?

Thanks!

Did you try different equipment setups/sources etc? I found the CW sensitive to things... and I mean everything. They can be unforgiving with poor rock recordings, especially if something up in the chain is not satisfactory in the mix.

I also find they do not like rooms that are TOO live or bright sounding already. In many ways, when you get a system with horns, it's almost like adding an instrument into the mix that needs to be tuned to get the best from it. It really does reward good synergy with all. I would rate it one of the all time best speakers with vinyl and tubes.

kh

Hey Mobile, Guys, Yeah I am fortunate to have what I feel to be a VERY good inexpensive set up. I run my SATV box and CDP digital outs through a Theta Digital decoralator and then into an ack industries dAck. This dac is battery powered. No background noise what so ever, it is 16/44 with no upsampling. Sounds very close to vinyl. The system in powered by a Cayin TA-30, which has no noise at all.

The sound I get from my GR research P-3's (91.5 db eff.) is very clear and articulate. These are a transmission line speaker MW-TW-MW. The bass is -3db at 35 hz. and with the two 6.5 mid woofers it is extremely fast and articulate.

I feel this is just a preference thing. My ears and those are the key words my ears feel like the cornwalls have a rag over the tweeter and midrange. The bass all though fun is not clear.

My neighbor is a regular here and was kind enough to come over last night and help with speaker placement. He has 3 sets of cornwalls. We listened four a couple of hours, his CD's and mine. Jeff thought that they sounded great and that's how cornwalls sound. Again I want to emphasis that I'm not knocking the speakers its just a taste thing. I am use to a different sound. I define it as clear and articulate, but that is my definition and reflects my tastes. I am certainly open to all thoughts as this is a journey and a GREAT hobby. All the best, Guy

RAg over the tweeter???? Something is DEFINITELY not right over there in TX. The Cornwalls positively dont sound like a rag is over the tweeter.

The bass when driven by very good power is very articulate as well. I have several sets of speakers here to compare, one of which is the ProAc Mini Towers. I find the Cornwall bass the most natural of the bunch but it really does depend on a number of factors. Something in your setup or the CW is not mixing well. The CW top end is VERY open and revealing and a strength with the right setup.

Some puzzling findings. I would have a close look at all of the above before a sale.

kh

Guy,

I suspect that you haven't gotten used to their sound yet. You are familiar with the sound of your old setup and should live with the new one for at least 2 weeks till you really start to be familiar with it. I can strongly suggest that you do so, and than switch back to your other speakers and see how you like them.

Well I was the lucky guy who was there to help test and setup the Cornwalls. We did play around with the placement and did get them to a position which I felt was ok. I did recommend to Guy that he play around with the placement some more just to see the dramitic difference that a couple of inches could make.

I gotta say that his orginal speakers did sound very nice but it was a different sound for sure. To me the tweeter had what I can only describe as "sizzle" but that did seem to fade after about an hour of listening. I am not sure about the bass. To me it seemed about equal with the nod going to the Cornwalls on some of the music. When we listened to some Techo on his orginal speakers the bass was like bam, on the Cornwalls it was Bam, on my system with the subwoofers it is BAMM. On this type of music the Cornwall did reproduce bass notes (tones if you will) that I did not hear on his orginal speakers.

I don't claim to be an audiophile just a computer geek that likes good sound. Guy's orginal speakers were great!! I would put them in the class of an audiophile sounding speaker. We can all agree that a Cornwall will not sound like that. Guy does want to come over to my house to hear my setup and watch a movie, an experience which he will not forget I assure you 1.gif So if he can fit that in before he sells the Cornwalls perhaps the Cornies will get a second chance.

I am sure that we will contiune to hang out even if he doesn't keep the Cornwalls ('cause I want to be invited when his band plays hint hint) but the bottom line is that he already has a good setup. I can understand if he does not want to tweak this or move that or try this to get the Cornwalls to sound better because if ya don't like, jive, get off on the active Cornwall sound nothing much will change that.

Laters,

BTW Guy that blues CD was awesome. I am going to rip it and apply some cross fade between the songs to blend them better before re-recording. Let me know if you want a copy modified like this.

This is very interesting to me, as I have a pair of GR Research Paradox 3's and one of Paul Grzybek's Vintage Iron amps. I have been dying to hear/purchase a pair of Cornwalls, thanks to all the enthusiasm found here.

eq_shadimar, I too hear that bit of "sizzle" you described, especially when compared directly to my Maggie MG12's. The P3's are certainly a great speaker. It's just, as you guys say, a matter of taste.

----------------

On 12/11/2003 6:07:29 AM playntheblues wrote:

I feel this is just a preference thing. My ears and those are the key words my ears feel like the cornwalls have a rag over the tweeter and midrange.

Are you sure that the diaphram in the tweeter is not blown? It's pretty common and easily repaired.

Joshnich

----------------

On 12/11/2003 6:22:08 PM smilin wrote:

Awwww, they ARE sold? and I tought I bought those too
11.gif

16.gif
----------------

Hey Smilin....are you bidding on these 75 Cornwalls?

They look to be a really nice pair. The owner sent the following info to me today about them:

The serial numbers on the back are 7N816 and 7N817. I am betting the

speakers originally were unfinished. However, the previous owner finished

them with what looks like a medium tongue oil. They look very good

considering they are ~30 years old. No structural damage, just a few very

small (almost imperceptable) scratches.

Check this out. This pair of 77's Cornies just sold for $1100??? I hope they were really nice!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/12/2003 12:53:14 AM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 12/11/2003 6:22:08 PM smilin wrote:

Awwww, they ARE sold? and I tought I bought those too
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif">

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/16.gif">
----------------

Hey Smilin....are you bidding on these 75's?-->

They look to be a really nice pair.

The owner sent the following info to me today about them.

The serial numbers on the back are 7N816 and 7N817. I am betting the

speakers originally were unfinished. However, the previous owner finished

them with what looks like a medium tongue oil. They look very good

considering they are ~30 years old. No structural damage, just a few very

small (almost imperceptable) scratches.

----------------

Piranha Man, I am thinking about it, Guy emailed ne with the sellers phone #'s but I hate to pay the shipping so I am thinking about buying the zebrawood cornwall's here in chicago. I found out they are 1979, alnico, in near mint, and can be delivered to my house no extra cost2.gif3.gif10.gif This guy mark Really does seem to know his stuff! and they do look cool, than I can make garymd nutz with a similar sig heh heh heh whatcha think?

Smilin and Thinkin

Guest Anonymous

Piranha Man,

I was mistaken with my last post, I tought you were talkin bout the cornwalls in this thread. I didn't even see the link you gave me, duh, pretty stupid of me6.gif I may have to email him, but I relly like the idea of the zebrawood's, oh well more to think about3.gif

Smilin is getting confused and tired2.gif