RF3 problems...I need advice!

Olaf

Hmm..this thread was started a long time ago, but here's my 2 cents:

I don't know much about Yamaha amps. I always try to steer the demos I hear toward the Denon, Adcom (totally different from the Denon, but I'm familiar with it) Rotel or Krell amps. What I do know is that when the local Klipsch dealer moved the RF-3s out of the "Hi End" demo room where they were connected to a top of the line Adcom system through Monster cables, they sounded one He11 of a lot better than now. Now they are connected to any number of components through a digital switching device. The wires at the back are small gauge electrical wire (the type you would wire a light switch with).

I would say that the problem is more likely to be speaker wires than equipment (though if you don't like a particular piece of equipment's sonic qualities, no speaker wire will cure that failing). Old speaker wires become oxidized over time. Oxidization creates more resistance in the wire. Furthermore, certain frequencies can be more greatly affected than others. It could be that your speaker wires had these problems all along, it just took the efficiency and clarity of a Klipsch speaker to point it out to you. New Zip cord will work fine for a while and is a cheap fix. If you find that this helps, you may want to invest in more expensive speaker cables. When a local dealer let me take a pair of what was almost their most expensive cables home for an audition, I was stunned by the difference they made (I had been using Monster 12ga. wire). My amp sounded more powerful. All frequencies seemed clearer and well defined. Imaging was improved. I'll never go back to normal audio grade cable again.

I own a Yamaha and we are looking for a change as it or the speakers is harsh, shrill, etc. I would like to know, of the people who favor Yamaha; how many of you have them coupled to the RF-3's?

------------------

Mains: RF-3

Center: RC-3

Rears: RS-3

Sub: KSW-12

A/V Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5250

DVD Player: Yamaha DV-6280

CD Player: Yamaha CDC-506

VCR: Toshiba

TV: Toshiba 55" Projection

This message has been edited by buylow on 07-27-2001 at 11:45 AM

It has now been almost 2 months since I bought my RF-3's and these are my latest observations...

Since my last post on this thread I have bought 12 gauge Acoustic Research speaker wire and have biwired the RF-3's. The improvement is quite good with the Onkyo receiver. As time goes on,I like the RF's more each time I listen to them. I don't know if it because of the controversial 'break-in period' or my ears adjusting to them,but the whole audio spectrum has improved. In a few more weeks,I'm going to reattach them to my Yamaha and see if the harshness has subsided. If not,I will be looking for another new reciever. I have been researching for the past few weeks and decided I will give the Denon DRA-775RD a listen to. I was going to just buy the Onkyo-8511 but it does not lend itself to bi-wiring with the cheap push-terminals on the receiver.

If I were to describe the RF-3 sound it would be like this...Crisp and airy with live sounding presence with very good depth,punch and sound staging.

I'm very pleased with them, even using them with a 21 year old reciever. They are worth every nickel!

I was late getting here. I was going to suggest letting them break in. I see you did!

Does the harshness go away or do our ears get accustomed to the clarity? I recently added Infinity dome tweeters to my car (with a low bass cut-off to the my sqawkers) while many reviews were saying "shrill, harsh." I'm saying HF clear and greatly improved.

Yes, I've got 40-something year old ears and they do have a HF roll-off. Maybe I don't hear what others do...

Just a plug for Yammy here from my point of view.

I have had a 2095 for quite some time and now own a 3000. I have to be honest. I think there

is a big diff. between the high end Yammys (RX-V1, 3000 and 1000) and low end ones.

I think yammy is you get what you pay for. I think Yammies higher end models can not be touched by anything but there lower end models you kind of crappy. I have heard this from other people as well.

Maybe I am wrong?

By the way I just ordered a pair of RF-7's and a RC7. Can't wait

------------------

Paul Graber

gedwyn@mpinet.net

I would agree. My RX-V1000 sounds great with my RF-3's. Not to long ago I replaced my Denon AVR 3801 for the yammie based on listening to my freinds system using his RF-3's and to the sound that came out of his just sounded more "live" to me and that is what I realy liked. Dont get me wrong the Denon sounded great to but it was just a little to warm.

------------------

Panasonic CT-36HD40 HDTV

SONY DVP-S530SE DVD

SONY CD-210 CD

SONY VHS PLAYER

YAMAHA RX-V1000

MONSTER REFERENCE INTERCONNECTS

MONSTER CABLE Z2 BIWIRE

RF-3 BIWIRED

RC-3

RS-3

KSW-12

Olaf,

If you are still looking to Yamaha, I can offer you a very good deal on a DSP-A1. I purchased it brand new back in November 1998 along with the the TX-950 Tuner. I used it all of a few months, as I purchased a Denon AVR-5700. Call me crazy, but I replaced the 5700 with a 5800. I still have both units sitting around. I would be willing to part with the DSP-A1 if you or any of the others on this BB are interested. Email me.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 side surrounds

KG 3.5 rear surrounds

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Gentlemen,

I have not a doubt that the higher end of Yamaha's amps are very excellent. I must agree that the lower end do sound bad because the RX-596 I have sounds like s**t. (I will give it one more chance after the "break in period" with the new cables)

I appreciate everyones suggestions and info about the Yamahas,but I am just looking for a straight 2 channel reciever to replace what I an using now. I have my HT in a separate room from my 'stereo' and the 'stereo' is what I do my critical listening on.

iluvhifi

I'm glad you mentioned about the Denon being 'too warm.' That is what I'm looking for in a reciever so you just about sold me on a Denon!...:-)

Olaf ------ I'm waiting to hear your verdict on the Yamaha vs. Denon, or any other receiver. I have one foot out the door to dump my Yamaha HTR-5250. My wife says it sounds shrill; I temper that to harsh. Both are unacceptable.

P. S. I now know I went "to cheap". Am prepared to bite the bullet but don't know what will solve the problem.

------------------

Mains: RF-3

Center: RC-3

Rears: RS-3

Sub: KSW-12

A/V Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5250

DVD Player: Yamaha DV-6280

CD Player: Yamaha CDC-506

VCR: Toshiba

TV: Toshiba 55" Projection

This message has been edited by buylow on 08-01-2001 at 01:26 AM

buylow

As you can tell by my previous posts,I've been using a 21 year old Onkyo TX-3000. That old fossil totally destroys that Yamaha. I would buy another in a N.Y. second if they had decent speaker terminals on the new 2 channel models. They're lousy for bi-wiring. The good folks here on the website gave me alot of suggestions and I'm still considering a new Onk.,but it has moved down below the Denon.

When I first turned on the Yamaha with the RF's it sounded like somebody scraping their nails on a chalkboard,...absolutly awlful sounding!!! It will be awile until I buy a Denon because I would like to hear one first,but there are no local dealers.

Yamaha RX-596--Harsh,shrill,tinny, overly bright and on and on....

Discuss politics and current events on 'Pipebombnews.com.