My dog ate my speaker!?!

mototramp

Actually it was my new room mate's dog actually pulled off the grille and ate the woofer out of the cabinet. I freaked! My room mate says he's willing to pay for repair so.....

1. How do I go about getting a 20 y/o pair of Heresy I's repaired?

2. Can I get just the one woofer replaced?

3. What sort of repair facility do I want to trust with my old friends?

4. Since I've added a subwoofer to my system, should I look into crossover upgrades at the same time?

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated as I don't have a clue as to where to start other than this forum.

You can get that woofer reconed for < $75 at most speaker servicing outfits. It was made by Eminence. There should be a code number on the back of the cone to use ordering the replacement parts. No other upgrades are needed. However, if you want to, ....

I'd put rope caulk on the outside of the squawker and tweeter horns. If you are goos with an iron, you can replace the caps with polyethylene film and foil types like Hovlands. Look at Partsexpress.com or madisound.com. Replacing the woofer inductor with an air-core of the same value would help, too.

my lab pictured as my avtar did the same thing to my klf-30's and rsw-15 during thunderstorms as he was frightened by thunder. he had a heart attack during an especially bad t-storm, and died.

my speakers are fine now, and you can get yours fixed. if this was t-storm related, your roommate may want to ask a veteranarian for advise.

i would trade ALL my ht gear to have my dog back.

avman.

Thanks for the info. By the way, the day the dog chewed up my woofer, rather than beat the dog senseless, I took a deep breath and put the dog in the back yard. As fate would have it, the dog escaped from my fenced yard and hasn't been seen since. Coincidence?

Anyway, I've looked on Ebay and can probably get a used 8 ohm K-22 for under $100. About the same price as John says I can repair. Are there any thoughts as to replacing versus repairing? Should both woofers be replaced or upgraded with new cones at the same time? How does one find a competent audio shop for cone replacement?

Thanks again for all your input, this is a big help.

You'd be better off to repair yours. They are a known. You could end up buying one in worse shape and spending more for it. IMO you would be wise to do both speakers at the same time. They are 20 years old. The upgrades to your crossovers would be a fun thing to do while you are waiting for your local speaker repair business to do their thing. Look in the yellow pages for speaker repair or ask your local Buddy Rogers or equivanlent who they would reccomend, Randy

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 12/15/2003 12:37:51 PM mototramp wrote:

As fate would have it, the dog escaped from my fenced yard and hasn't been seen since. Coincidence?

------------------

Sounds like dog intuition. Better to get the He11 out of Dodge while you still have a chance.9.gif