Cornwall BS dating EBAY live auction

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Sometimes I just get SSSOOOO pissed off!!!!, On December 7th I won a pair of "1960" vintage cornwall speakers from the treadway gallery live auction on ebay, I wanted to collect this early speaker even if it did not sopund as good as the 62's and later(according to Trey Cannon) when I called before paying for the speakers(850 plus 22% premium)I asked for the serial #'so I could give them to my insurance co.(they were to busy before the auction, but verbally guaranteed 1960) and they give me the serial # 12R244, I look at my S/N list and see 1977! Well I was real pissed OFF If ya know what I mean7.gif And very depressed14.gif Cause I was so exited about WINNING them. At that point I was not sure what to do, cause I have perfect feedback on ebay. I emailed them a note that they misrepresented the speakers and that actually the speakers were made in 1977, and I offered 500 for them. A couple of days later I recieved a Fax from THE Owner of the gallery named DON(fool)who told me taht in fact He bought them himself in 1967, and he bought them from the factory in Hope Ark. He went on to explain that he IN FACT knows that they are from 1967 or befor and when I told him I had talked to Trey Cannon from the forum he tells me I am wrong, Klipsch is wrong, He dont care about the serial#'s cause he remembers from his collge dayz exactly when he bought the cornwalls! What unmitigated audacity7.gif What does he take us for, FOOLS?

I personnaly don't believe a word he is saying

aWhatcha guysa think?

What should I do?

Smilin an wanting early cornwalls2.gif3.gif9.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smilin'

ask the owner to obtain a certificate of authenticity (referencing the date) from the Klipsch factory. Send Trey a twenty to provide you with the expert assessment, and if the owner balks, remind him gently that misrepresenting an item for sale over interstate boundaries may constitute fraud. Involving greater than $500 would throw it into a federal felony.

Stay away from making offers other than what you agreed to in the auction. If the Cornwalls are not as represented year-wise, first you must get the deal voided. Neither of you has any consideration given at this point, so get this deal negated FIRST. Get it in writing or e-mail from him.

AFTER you get this, then you can try to move on and purchase them.

Steve,

First- take a deep cleansing breath! Now you have to decide, regardless of the SN# and the years, are they exactly what you want? Are there any other problems with them....

Price wise, they seem to be inline with current sales of the same type of speakers.

Have you already paid for them? and if not will the seller let you back out with only the stigma of a bad sale on Ebay on your record.......if so its not a big thing.

At least you didn't receive them broken in pieces............ Just my 2 cents worth!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/15/2003 12:33:34 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Smilin'

ask the owner to obtain a certificate of authenticity (referencing the date) from the Klipsch factory. Send Trey a twenty to provide you with the expert assessment, and if the owner balks, remind him gently that misrepresenting an item for sale over interstate boundaries may constitute fraud. Involving greater than $500 would throw it into a federal felony.

Stay away from making offers other than what you agreed to in the auction. If the Cornwalls are not as represented year-wise, first you must get the deal voided. Neither of you has any consideration given at this point, so get this deal negated FIRST. Get it in writing or e-mail from him.

AFTER you get this, then you can try to move on and purchase them.
----------------

Dave,

Don says He is the autority, not Klipsch Heh heh heh, What a jerk, i SENT OFF THE INFO TO AN ATTORNEY and told him so. I think he will back away, but says at least at this point No release. Worst case I will have 1 negative, and so will he. Has this ever happened to you before? I have bought 5 pair of klipsch off ebay already6.gif without a problem until now.

Smilin and pissed off about DON2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/15/2003 12:39:29 PM Bill H. wrote:

Smilin,

First- take a deep cleansing breath! Now you have to decide, regardless of the SN# and the years, are they exactly what you want? Are there any other problems with them....

Price wise, they seem to be inline with current sales of the same type of speakers.

Have you already paid for them? and if not will the seller let you back out with only the stigma of a bad sale on Ebay on your record.......if so its not a big thing.

At least you didn't receive them broken in pieces............ Just my 2 cents worth!
----------------

Bill H,

The speakers are not terrible, just stained tops from plants and some very rough edges, but the price is not 850, it is 1022 with the premium! That way too much! I will try and talk with him later today of we will both suffer the consequences if we cannot get this settled amicably.

Smilin

Guest Anonymous

J

----------------

On 12/15/2003 12:41:08 PM Jon Anderson wrote:

Right, Klipsch is wrong... Could he be misreading the serial number and that R is actually an F? Just trying to give this scoundral the benefit of the doubt.
----------------

Jon,

I have had them check 3 times, each time they tell me R, just don't know, bottom line they were advertised 1960, THEY SOULD NOT EVEN HAVE A LETTER FOR DATING7.gif

Smilin

Steve,

Thanks for the quick response.........I forgot about the stupid up charge! Ouch! Just myself- since you already have them, and have heard them - (there ok?), I'd just chaulk this up to lessons learned...........by the time you try to use an attorney,fees, and such you will have much more time, heart burn and misery than its worth..............life is too short ......Best of Luck to you.

Tell him to take off the backs and take some pictures. Also have him tell you what the drivers are. Easy enough to tell the year from the type of drivers and crossover. There are other ways too like all of the early models did not have removable grills. Post all of that information here and we can help you out.

Hope this helps!

Laters,

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/15/2003 12:49:06 PM Bill H. wrote:

Steve,

Thanks for the quick response.........I forgot about the stupid up charge! Ouch! Just myself- since you already have them, and have heard them - (there ok?), I'd just chaulk this up to lessons learned...........by the time you try to use an attorney,fees, and such you will have much more time, heart burn and misery than its worth..............life is too short ......Best of Luck to you.
----------------

Bill H,

NO I have not heard them, Don the seller(and auction house owner) swears they sound perfect, but he also says he bought them in the 60's and STILL ADVERTIZED them as circa 1960 not circa 1967 or 68 when he says he bought them(it just pisses me off)6.gif and I want to scream at the ahole, I guess if he will take considerably less I will buy them and honor my contract, but damnit I hate being lied to!2.gif BTW you are right not to get an attorney involved, it's just MORE money and aggravation down the POOP shoot.

Thanks for the words

Smilin a little more cause you guys care1.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/15/2003 12:51:48 PM eq_shadimar wrote:

Tell him to take off the backs and take some pictures. Also have him tell you what the drivers are. Easy enough to tell the year from the type of drivers and crossover. There are other ways too like all of the early models did not have removable grills. Post all of that information here and we can help you out.

Hope this helps!

Laters,
----------------

Thanks, I will try, but I just called him and gort voice mail, I will keep you upto date.

Smilin a little more

Klipsch forum members are the BOMB3.gif

• Klipsch Employees

Steve, what is the S/N from the speakers. I will look them up for you to make sure that the number given is a good one.

There could be a unit with the S/N the same but for the Letter. but I dont think so.

Look at this thing another way. You can put together one hell of a HT with all thoes Cornwalls.

You definitely got the shaft. However, I have had a few different pairs of cornwalls and from experience those 1977s are some of the best sounding corns you can find (in and around '80 were the best for me).

I'd say to just keep them but the price was WAY up there. So now I don't know. I like the "certificate of authenticity" post. The speaks were clearly misrepresented. Even if you just stiff the guy, it is explainable and should not tarnish your ebay rep.

Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/15/2003 1:07:20 PM trey cannon wrote:

Steve, what is the S/N from the speakers. I will look them up for you to make sure that the number given is a good one.

There could be a unit with the S/N the same but for the Letter. but I dont think so.

Look at this thing another way. You can put together one hell of a HT with all thoes Cornwalls.
----------------

Trey,

YOU ARE THE BEST! The serial # is 12R244, 45. Just let me know ASAP so when I talk with Don I can put this to rest6.gif BTW I already have a great sounding HT, with cornwall front, 2 heresy I center, chorus rear, 2 heresy II rears center, sounds great, next I will have the 67's in front, cornwall's in rear, 2 chorus I for center, 2 herey 1 rear center/sides.3.gif

Trey what do you think of using the chorus I's for center?

Thanks for all your help

Smilin is starting to smilie10.gif again

Guest Anonymous

Mark, I'm

----------------

On 12/15/2003 1:15:50 PM mark1101 wrote:

You definitely got the shaft. However, I have had a few different pairs of cornwalls and from experience those 1977s are some of the best sounding corns you can find (in and around '80 were the best for me).

I'd say to just keep them but the price was WAY up there. So now I don't know. I like the "certificate of authenticity" post. The speaks were clearly misrepresented. Even if you just stiff the guy, it is explainable and should not tarnish your ebay rep.

Good luck.
----------------

Mark,

I concur with everything you said, my real issue for now is that I found a MINT pair of 1979, cornwall's, alnico with the damping in zebrawood a half hour from my house. now I am in a real quandry, and my head is splitting! Ya now what I mean!14.gif If I have to I will buy them all IF the PRICE is right. Listen tothem for a while and resell what I do not want, but this scenario has WAF written all over it15.gif Even though it's a blast for me. My wife wants me back to work, oh well it's the end of the year and 2004 is around the corner.

Smilin3.gif And trying to have fun

Smilin, I can see that you are upset, but I dont see what the big deal is. First, Cornwalls sell anywhere from $400 to over a 1,000, with one primo pair going for $1,800! The difference between 60s, 70s and 80s models are obvious to tweaking audiophiles, but they are not major. Any Cornwall is still a big ole horn with 15 woofer. Even if you think the different difference IS major, the Cornwalls are worth correcting, though it will cost you more. I posted some luke-warm comments about purchases I made on eBay and the sellers posted nasty ones about me in return. Never made a difference in any recent purchases. Now I just dont say anything.

Fact of the matter is, you probably will have to change some of your front-end equipment to higher quality units anyway, so how can one decade or another truly matter? If it was cone drivers sure, that might make a big difference. But the big woofer on the big ole horns barely moves. It lasts decades before it needs work. Same with the horns themselves. Unless they are abused, they should last a good long time.

5.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/15/2003 1:28:00 PM mark1101 wrote:

Smilin',

You will be the cornwall king. You could start a cornwall museum.

I'm just having a hard time swallowing that price.
----------------

Mark,

I'm not trying to be king, just Happy2.gif

Smilin

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/15/2003 1:31:57 PM Bill H. wrote:

Steve,

With your comment that " wife wants me back to work!" pretty much sums up the situation..........LOL Good Luck with the tribulations...........
----------------

Bill H.

She will just have to wait till I'm done!11.gif

Smilin