a pair of klipschorns walnut for sale

jazzmansound

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q-man

I apologize for not fully explaining in my post. But yes, I totally agree with you as far as a marriage between the different manufacturers is concerned. An Altec/JBL top end along with the Khorn bassbin would in fact be the ultimate!!! I was thinking more in terms of the upper mids of the 515B in a reflex/horn loaded enclosure such as the 816, 828 or JBL 4560 verses the upper mids of the K33 in a Cornwall/ported cabinet. The low end is where the Khorn really sings, IMHO. Personally, once again, just my opinion, a fully tweaked VOTT, along with a quality crossover (important key) and good upstream tube gear (another important key) will run circles around a "stock" (another key word) Khorn. With of course the exception of the low end. Which is something I failed to mention before. Once again, I apologize for this.

Khorns or VOTTs? Two of my favs... I have not found one to be exclusively "better" than the other, they are intended to have different applications and therefore, different results outside of those applications.

Well I guess its all in what you want, massive gut-level mid-bass punch or real shake-the-world lows with albiet less punch... Khorns will go lower and are more efficient than VOTTs and that's a fact of physics. I have had BOTH in my house, and I like them both. The VOTTs are not as efficient, but have better large-format projection qualities and can really handle larger spaces than Khorns are intended to do, it seems to me. The ONLY (and-I-repeat) - ONLY problem that I have with VOTTS is that they take about TWICE AS MUCH ROOM in a space as corner horns (being rectangular, they don't fit into a corner very well), but don't sound definitively twice as good. I like 'em, but they are simply too big for my "taste imposed by limited space".

In the right space, corner horns will out-class the VOTTs bass output using less watts than the VOTTS - but most people don't have that magic space. Pant-leg flappin and the rest, but only in the right space (only experienced it once) and I definately don't have it now. I notice that with the resurgence of interest in horn speakers that ALTEC is newly manufacturing A-7s again for 4 grand ea. painted black. Now, I ask you, whose wife wants those in the living room? Maybe in the home theatre... with the lights off...

The one design that I always wanted and still do was to create the "Voice of the CORNER" speaker, which I have not done as of yet... Oh, to be young(er) and rich...

DM2.gif

----------------

On 12/23/2003 12:51:06 AM NOSValves wrote:

Heck I'm still in love with my Lascalas to tell you truth ! There stunning realism never stops to amaze me.

Craig
----------------

I would love to own a pair of LaScalas myself. Now I'll just have to wait patiently for a pair in So Cal to come up for sale that are reasonably priced. That way I can go look at and listen to them before I but them. I better at least do that given my luck recently.2.gif

Piranha,

I'm sure for a slight consulting fee plus food, travel and lodging Craig will come out to sunny Southern Cal to help you set up your Lascalas. He might do it real cheap in January to get out of the freezer for a bit.

Just make sure that you have an old set of kitchen cabinets waiting for him when he comes. I don't think that new ones from Home Depot have the same magic as well seasoned cabinettes.9.gif

Does that sound like a good deal to you Craig?

Rick

Rick,

That was great !! I truly believe my cabinets really do make a difference. I was invited to setup some gear at a meeting in Detroit for another forum I frequent and I'm deathly afraid the bass of my Lascalas is going to disappear completely. To safeguard this possible disaster I'm going to twist Audioflynn's arm to have his Chorus II's waiting in the van outside the hotel.