Cartridge suggestions?

fini

I am thinking the Shure cartridge on the Black Widow arm/ Kenwood KD-500 TT may be part of the problem on my vinyl quest. As some may recall, I've gotten a lot of acoustic feedback, and am waiting for materials to arrive with which I will build an isolation platform. The cartridge is a V15 type IV (used---I know---) fitted with a new type III stylus (replacement from Shure: they were out of the type IV's). I have a virtually new Grado Black (which exhibited the famous "Grado dance" while fitted on my Pioneer PL-41). I'm not sure if that's a good match for the Kenwood/Infinity rig or not. The trouble with freely swapping them out on the Black Widow is, mounting them is a PIA, especially with those tiny, very easily broken wires, and the absence of a headshell. Anyone have a suggestion?

Fini,

I am not enough of a tech to talk about possible wrongs when it comes to the arm on your TT (and I am sure you current cartridge fits to the arm's parameters), but if you are looking for an excellent MM cartridge I can still recommend the Garrott that Gary is using as well. I think for the price it's a real steal!!! Good luck sorting your problem.

Wolfram

I didn't think that any other styli would work with a V15-IV. At least that is what is said on Shure's web site:

http://shure.custhelp.com

Search:Why is the V15IV stylus no longer available? Or as I did: V15IV stylus.

That may be part of your problem fini. Maybe you could send them an email.

I'm with garymd on this. I really like my V15 IV. I just bought another one because my first one lost it's tip.

Rick

"Where did you get a type IV? Was it the whole cartridge, or the stylus?"

Ebay. I thought it was just a stylus and bid accordingly. Turns out it was a NOS cartridge. I think it came to $82 with insured postage.

I have informed my wife that I need to get a new TT. I am thinking that the Music Hall MMF-9 might be in my future:

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/sh.pl?0&1&adlr&Underwoodwally&1&

Any opinions?

Rick

Regarding the Garrott P-77. I got it at Needle Doctor. $200 (reg. $500). I think it's a great cart and excellent bargain. Sounds excellent with the scott. My marantz is having some phono section problems so nothing sounds good on that right now. It's a steal at $200 if they still have some and just as easy to work with as the shure. Tracks very well also.

Would going the MC route be barking up the wrong tree? I had a high-output Sumiko Blue Point MC that didn't require a MC stepup transformer (can be used at MM setting on your preamp/receiver)...it kicked major butt and sounded so "live"...more so than any MM I owned previously.

Just a thought...

There seems to be rather more to arm/cartridge matching than most think. I know neither your arm nor your cartridge but I found a fairly useful formula for establishing the resonant frequency of an arm/cart combo as follows:

Resonant Frequency = 1000/<6.28*square root (M*C)>

Where:

M = the combined mass of the arm and cartridge (arm mass also expressed as apparent mass for some arms), and

C = the Compliance of the cartridge.

The resultant range for the resonance should be in the order of 9 to 15 Hz with anything between 9 and 11 described as ideal. Lower than this and you get problems with warped records causing the needle to jump, higher than this and the bottom end of the music itself starts to interfere with the playback.

YMMV...

----------------

On 12/29/2003 5:09:22 AM maxg wrote:

Resonant Frequency = 1000/<6.28*square root (M*C)>

----------------

Max, just to clarify: One thousand divided by 6.28 times the square root of the product of M times C? Now I just have to do some homework, finding the M & C of my rig! Thanks!