NEW La Scalas

Tube-Sound

I have several questions about La Scalas;

Why don't they (and all Heritage speakers) get reviewed by mainstream and/or esoteric Hi-Fi magazines anymore? I am told they are still highly regarded in Japan.

Why are there so many 'fixes' for Heritage speakers. Shouldn't they be optimum right out of the box?

Are the most recent La Scalas in need of any 'fixes' or are they good to go?

How well will new La Scalas match up to my McIntosh 240? How about some of the new integrated tube amps?

----------------

On 1/3/2004 5:27:47 PM Tube-Sound wrote:

I have several questions about La Scalas;

Why don't they (and all Heritage speakers) get reviewed by mainstream and/or esoteric Hi-Fi magazines anymore? I am told they are still highly regarded in Japan.

Why are there so many 'fixes' for Heritage speakers. Shouldn't they be optimum right out of the box?

Are the most recent La Scalas in need of any 'fixes' or are they good to go?

How well will new La Scalas match up to my McIntosh 240? How about some of the new integrated tube amps?
----------------

Hi TS. Welcome to the forum.

Here's my two cents on your questions.

RE: few mainstream magazine reviews: Heritage speakers have had few changes over DECADES. These magazines are driven by advertising revenue. There is an inherent gravity toward reviewing new type stuff and not the same old excellent gear.

RE: Heritage 'fixes'... Heritage speakers do sound great straight out of the box. Heritage design lends itself to easy modifications and there is a tweak and tune culture, kind of like the hot rod automobile culture. Some people, and a number of heritage fans fit this, just love to fool with their speakers.

RE: recent LaScalas... can't go wrong with LaScalas. at 104db efficiency, they need very little power for amplification. Just make sure it's good clean power. You will be very pleased with LaScalas and tube amplification.

I'm kind of repeating what DaddyDee said.

There isn't any need to tweak the Heritage speakers. There really isn't a thing wrong with them. They still are the best bang for your buck speaker to be had. It's just that they have been around longer then some of the Forum members, and this means that many ideas have been exchanged among us about them. The design of the LaScala and Klipschorn also make them easy to work on, the LaScala the easiest of them all.

I bought my first pair of LaScalas around 1974 and never felt a need to do anything to them untill finding this Forum in 1999. It would take me days to tell you all the things that I tried. My latest changes to a pair of Klipschorns cost about $2,000.00 for the pair. Klipsch could have also done this to their speakers, but remember that I said that they are the best bang for your buck speaker to be had. Mine arn't. Sure they sound better then a stock Klipschorn, but would they sell? It would be an interesting project to have a stock pair of Klipschorns and mine in a showroom together where people could A/B them. Would they pay $2,000.00 more a pair for mine? Remember too that this is my cost, Klipsch or any manufacturer would charge a lot more for this mod. These Heritage speakers arn't a cost no object speaker. They were and are made so more people can afford them.

In Japan there seems to be more of a horn and tube following then in the states.

Many will tell you that McIntosh tube amps will go well with the LaScalas. I use McIntosh SS for my multi channel system and like it a lot.

----------------

On 1/3/2004 7:48:48 PM Q-Man wrote:

My latest changes to a pair of Klipschorns cost about $2,000.00 for the pair. Klipsch could have also done this to their speakers, but remember that I said that they are the best bang for your buck speaker to be had. Mine arn't.

----------------

Just curious, what was this $2k mod?

There were a few post about the mod under Odds and Mods, and I will be starting a new one soon to show my center channel Klipschorn above the RPTV. I also want to show the new network for this mod.

The mod is a different top section consisting off these drivers and horns.

JBL 2404H tweeters $500.00

Altec 290-16K 300Hz midrange drivers $250.00 to 350.00 a pair, Altec 311-90 300Hz horns $600.00 to $800.00 a pair, and the networks cost about $500.00 a pair for the parts.

I'll find a picture and post it.

looking at upgrading to new LaScalas this year.

only problem is that I need fo find someone/place to hear some first before I order anything.

I have not heard LaScalas for some time now.

need to refresh my memory.

anybody in the Chicago area?

really do not want to driver all the way to Indiana to the closet Heritage dealer that my have some.

I can tell you that the 240 mates well with heritage speakers. I've had mine hooked up to less efficient cornwalls and even lesser efficient altecs and either way it knocked my socks off along with a couple pictures hanging on the wall. Very nice, deep soundstage. More power/headroom than you will ever use with the lascalas.

Welcome to the nuthouse, ehem, I mean forum!9.gif

mbajner, I can sell you a used/refinished pair of La Scalas for less than half the cost of new, shipped to your door.

They'll be custom for sure, pick the veneer, the finish, new custom grilles over the upper horns and bass horn braces with custom grilles in them like the Belle Klipsch. I can install custom or ALK crossovers, I have your choice of K-43 or K-33 woofers, and the rest of the drivers are the much sought after Alnico mids and tweets with metal horns.

Let's see, Brazilian Rosewood with cane grill cloth . . . . sounds nice to me. Not an option through Klipsch.

I have three pair just waiting to be refinished and lot's of ideas on how to produce a one-of-a-kind pair of LS's.

Greg

garoberts@earthlink.net