Vintage Tubed amps

I am starting to gather I can't go to wrong with some of my considerations for a vintage tubed amp.

Sherwood S-5000

Scott 299A or B

Fisher 500B

Heath AA100

I was leaning towards the Scott but the Sherwood may be easier to come by at a lower cost and a few people havementioned it's a real sleeper.

I am seeking to get the best sound and the best possible phono stage is very important to me as I will be listening and archiving my vinyl records.

Thank you for your time & input,

Jonathan Catuccio

Ryan,

Good post but the 299B has the exact same wattage as the 222C/D about 20 to 21 WPC. I think your were thinking of the 299A which also has a great versatile phono stage but 17 WPC. But really if the PEC (integrated RIAA device) is in good shape on the later models they seem to sound just as good with RIAA mixed records.

Craig

Yep, I think "can't go wrong" is a good take on your options. I think the choice would have to do with price and condition. If you can find one that someone else has already paid the freight on a rebuild that can be a good bang for the buck choice. Also, as long as you are getting gear that could be serviced well by some forum members in the biz you've got a winner.

Ryan,

That is almost true ! There are at least 3 versions of the 299B and they all run the voltages different and with 3 different transformers. Some run them just about Identical to a 222C some 222D and some a good bit lower. But all on the scope put out at least 20 watts RMS ! In all actuality so does the 299A second addition I have one here now 408 on the plates 360 on the screen and it puts out 20 watts with sine waves pretty much flat from 20hz to 20Khz.

One thing about Scott that seemed to get more and more frequent as the 60's progressed is undocumented circuit changes with as you know the 299C having the most ! Is it seven different versions now LOL !!

Craig

Given I have little experience with none other than 2 tube phono sections in past years.

My Scott LK-48 stock phono is more than adequate for my needs.

I really did not like the Dynaco PAS I had borrowed for a couple of months. Line stage was nice; Phono was lackluster at best. PAS phono was bland and uninvolving compared to the LK-48.

I still think Craig should just quit avaoiding the subject; engineer a Scott phono rebuild strategy; and quote me a price.

What a whiner.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/9/2004 4:32:21 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Given I have little experience with none other than 2 tube phono sections in past years.

I really did not like the Dynaco PAS I had borrowed for a couple of months. Line stage was nice; Phono was lackluster at best. PAS phono was bland and uninvolving compared to the LK-48.

I still think Craig should just quit avaoiding the subject; engineer a Scott phono rebuild strategy; and quote me a price.

What a whiner.
----------------

Audio Flynn

I do agree with you, Craig is a Whiner2.gif

Guest Anonymous

JC,

Great dealon the sherwood, right noe there are some real nice heresy's going cheap on ebay. Try to find a pair you can pick up yourself2.gif remember if you love bass, you may need a subwoofer with the heresy6.gif but they are GREAT speakers.

Smilin

----------------

On 1/9/2004 4:32:21 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

What a whiner.
----------------

Well Rick quit whining and engineer a solution yourself 2.gif There has to be a problem to find a solution. But hey if you have some serious cheese burning a hole in your pocket I'm sure I could figure something out.

Craig;

There is no time for phono engineering.

I am actually off off the tuner mod kick.

Last night I started my resonance and EMI control mods to the Onkyo Integra DX-706 cd player i picked up before Christmas off of E bay for $ 60. Research says the DX-708 to be a good find cheap; dual power supplies and some other goodies. Integra stuff is built very solid.

Only so I can give you the MSB DAC to play with for a while.

I am planning on 2007 to be the year I can start learning about phono sections. Maybe you will have a handle on it by then.

Jon, are you sure you don't want to wait and hear the Cornwalls, La Scalas, and Khorns before you buy the Heresy's?

I know a guy here in Maine that has a pair of natural birch La Scalas for sale that aren't too far out of your budget. I also got another call from someone else tonight who has a pair of La Scalas for sale, but I haven't talked to him yet.

Greg

----------------

On 1/9/2004 5:52:53 PM doctorcilantro wrote:

Looking the Heresy's now on ebay.......the most I am looking to spend is 600$ on speakers, the lower the price the better of course.

JC
----------------

You can get Heresy's for a lot lett than that. You might want to bump up a C note or two and land some Cornwalls though. Maybe even some LaScalas?