car sub-home sub

psypathic

There are some very good car subs. There are many more very bad car subs. Almost any car driver can be made to sound good if placed in the right enclosure, sounding good at high levels is entirely different though. There are a number of manufactures with subs targeted for DIY home use that are exceptional. Typically the good car subs cost more than the ones of equivalent or better performance that are geared for home use.

Car subs typically have a higher Fs which is not good for home use. They count on substantial cabin gain of a car cabin to make up the low end. In a house this gain isn't present at the same levels. They are also typically designed for use in small enclosures. This makes porting difficult (ports that can handle the air the driver can move end up longer than the enclosure can fit). Working in small boxes also means the sub will need lots of juice, unless it really lacks the low end.

The most popular drivers in the home DIY market are from Adire Audio, Stryke Audio and the Dayton drivers from Parts Express.

$150 will get you the Adire Tempest with a Vas of 320L, an Fs of 18hz and 2.55L of Vd. $205 will get you the Stryke AV15 with a Vas of 140L, an Fs of 22hz and 3.8L of Vd. If you've found a car driver that can come close to these specs for a similar price let me know.

Let's break some of this down for the new guy.

"There are a number of manufactures with subs targeted for DIY home use that are exceptional. Typically the good car subs cost more than the ones of equivalent or better performance that are geared for home use."

DIY = Do It Yourself.

"Car subs typically have a higher Fs which is not good for home use. They count on substantial cabin gain of a car cabin to make up the low end. In a house this gain isn't present at the same levels. They are also typically designed for use in small enclosures. This makes porting difficult (ports that can handle the air the driver can move end up longer than the enclosure can fit). Working in small boxes also means the sub will need lots of juice, unless it really lacks the low end."

Car Audio subs factor in the small area in which they are going to be used when spec'ing total output. The less area you have to fill up with bass, the higher the ouput will be. It's a lot easier to fill up a car than a room. In other words, they are somewhat cheating the specs. I personally believe car audio subwoofers are simply over-engineered for competitions -- where the only thing that matters is extremely high output. No one in their right mind sits in a car while that crap is going on.

"$150 will get you the Adire Tempest with a Vas of 320L, an Fs of 18hz and 2.55L of Vd. $205 will get you the Stryke AV15 with a Vas of 140L, an Fs of 22hz and 3.8L of Vd. If you've found a car driver that can come close to these specs for a similar price let me know."

In other words, these reasonably priced drivers, put in the right box -- will go extremely low, and generate enough output to make you want to pull your testicles up.

Very rarely does a driver that looks cool actually perform well. It's kinda like the kids who put the big spoilers, big exhaust pipes and snazzy tires on their Civic. Looks from not too bad to butt ugly, but does nothing besides slow the car down. And just like the car sub drivers, there are the few exceptions who do it right, with the required weight cutting and engine/suspension/transmission tweaking to actually make the car fast, rather than just look fast.

My favorite Audiobahn spec is PHAT 2" surround on a driver with +/- 8mm of excursion. My Tempest does 16mm and uses a 1" surround.

Some of their top drivers are posting decent specs (most have an Fs and Qts that are too high for home use). And I'm positive the ones that could compete with the Adire's Shiva/Tempest and Stryke's AV series would be selling for significantly more than $200.

----------------

On 1/18/2004 1:57:00 AM sesquim wrote:

how about audiobahn subwoofers? i think they could be good for home sound... and all car subwoofers.. look good! i wish they make home subwoofer speakers look as good and as powerful...

----------------

Audiobahn's Alum series baskets are a joke...they have tons of problems with shipping them. During shipping the baskets keep cracking even though they have a wooden shipping container. If this is an indication of the quailty of the rest of the Audiobahn's lines, I think I'll pass.

----------------

On 1/18/2004 7:57:22 PM psypathic wrote:

check the audiobahn immortals. i think they would work good but then again i know nothing about specks on speakers.

----------------

The Immortals are pricey at $465 for the 15" and $419 for the 12"...almost the price of a the Adire Tumult. Actually after shipping I wouldn't be surprised if it meets or exceeds $500 for the 15", which is the shipped price of the Tumult from www.acoustic-visions.com. The Immortals are beefy drivers but they are definitely not suited for home use...the Fs is way to high which means it will next to impossible to get clean bass at high SPL's in a home environment.

If you want the single best DIY driver out there I think the Tumult is it. It will be able to move more air(with enough power) and do it will lower distortion than the Immortals. For a lower cost alternative you could do dual Stryke AV15's around $400 and displace even more air than a single Tumult. I'm running dual vented AV-15's with 750W to each in a 1500ft^3 room and I can max out the RS SPL meter around 7 ft away.

I am using a Kicker L5-15 DVC as my second sub with a DBX BX-3MkII bridged to 400W+ in a big ported enclosure made of 1" HDF made by R/T Enclosures. The funky square 15" has the displacement of a round 18". This thing can certainly generate some nice smooth bass and compliments the Velodyne nicely. It performs in the 80 - 25Hz range and then the Velo can take it into the teens. So I think a good car subwoofer in a proper enclosure with good amplification can perform well in a home environment.

----------------

On 1/20/2004 1:41:59 PM Frzninvt wrote:

I am using a Kicker L5-15 DVC as my second sub with a DBX BX-3MkII bridged to 400W+ in a big ported enclosure made of 1" HDF made by R/T Enclosures. The funky square 15" has the displacement of a round 18". This thing can certainly generate some nice smooth bass and compliments the Velodyne nicely. It performs in the 80 - 25Hz range and then the Velo can take it into the teens. So I think a good car subwoofer in a proper enclosure with good amplification can perform well in a home environment.

----------------

It definitely can work, I've had good results with a CV car woofer in my home, but if you haven't bought a woofer yet, it is best to buy a woofer suited to home use. The brands to check out are:

Adire

Stryke

Dayton

Blueprint(audioliquidators.com)