How to Pick a Woofer?

JohnA

I found some HDPE woofer enclosures at Parts express that are made for 8" woofers, cheap. I want to use them to build a pair of garage speakers. How do I use T-S prameters to find a driver that will work well enough with a 0.3 cu.ft. box?

I would ask if I hadn't loaned out my Loudspeaker Cookbook.

Unfortunately most software I've tried will calculate the box volume based one the T/S parameters and not the opposite.

John... if you need the formulae, you can look around at the The Subwoofer DIY Page... it's got pretty much all the low frequency enclosure formulae. Are the enclosures sealed? If so, check out The Subwoofer DIY Page's Sealed Systems: Box Calculations ... which has Vb = Vas/((Qtc/Qts)^2-1) .

Hope it'll help...

Rob

That Vb equation was what I was looking for.

Gil, I didn't know about the selection wizard. PE does recommend 3 drivers, but the Eminence coaxial full-range they recommend would be too expensive to put in the garage after you buy a horn, compression driver and build a crossover.

----------------

On 1/19/2004 12:08:40 PM John Albright wrote:

That Vb equation was what I was looking for.

Gil, I didn't know about the selection wizard. PE does recommend 3 drivers, but the Eminence coaxial full-range they recommend would be too expensive to put in the garage after you buy a horn, compression driver and build a crossover.

----------------

Hello John - Do not know of a reverse calc either, In the past I used BoxPlot and WinISD. I had a situation for my center that was maximum height restricted, and I had to try a bunch of speakers to get a box match - After a few you start seeing a similar T/S that will get what you want. Abit of a PITA but effective none the less.

Just an idea.

I go to ebey and the local pawn shops and buy some rather cheap good speakers

every now and then. I use them in my garage and outdoors. They are always cheap enought to replace every few years if needed.

Unless your doing this for the fun of building something.