HornEd?

Chris Robinson

I too will extend a sincere welcome back HornEd. It's good to hear from you - especially the very positive things that are happening in your life.

Speaking of which....from the projects/events/tinkerings/etc. that you've done in the past plus these recent endevours you've got going, methinks it's your Swiss Miss that had better get in shape to keep up with you! 2.gif

Tom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add my "Welcome Back" to the long list. Glad to hear things are going well out CA-way. You'll have to take that Swiss Miss to some of the great Ren Fests out there. SCA-Society for Cleavage Awareness! 9.gif

And JT...If you got some young 19-yr-old cutie after you, don't knock it. Just don't knock it up. 11.gif

HornEd,

My two cents worth on the 2,000-seat ampitheater:

One question for you...Is the physical location of the amphitheater in a natural "bowl"? I hope you get my meaning on this! Just as the Romans found out...a natural "bowl" is highly conducive to the audio end of things for an amphitheater!

As for sound for that amphitheater...looks like MCM Grande is the way to go, as far as I am concerned. You may be able to find enough sets of complete units show up on eBay and such of the older MCM 1900 system...but in an amphitheater setting, the MCM series is DEFINITELY the way to go...especially if you like the idea of the equivalent of 16 K-horns doing their thing for the audio portion of things! Holler at me if you want more info...I have heard the old MCM 1900 in a natural "bowl" and there is NOTHING like it!

Yep, as you suspected... it is indeed a natural bowl. I am terracing the natural bowl with large grassy areas and retaining walls to create areas that people can sit on the grass or bring chairs. We will sell picnic lunches, wine, beer, soft drinks, etc. at the concerts. Concert goers will not have access to the main resort. There are two other venues in this area that sell concert tickets in the $50-75 range per ticket for name acts. I have the contacts to bring the same caliber acts to this venue... and I have a prettier location that is somewhat easier to get to.

At the bottom of the bowl I will build an elevated stage with a large bowl behind the band. There will be a large "sunken" dance floor that can be used as "up close" seating for special acts. My idea came from visiting Greek and Roman amphitheaters in Europe, the bucolic atmosphere of Ravinia (the Chicago Symphony's summer home), and the tiered seating of the River Walk Theater in San Antonio, Texas. The way I am building it, there will be "box sections" tiered and tickets will be sold on that basis. The grassy boxes will allow some very casual listening potential.

I would sure like to get a line on the speakers you spoke of, so if anyone knows of one hiding somewhere at a great price... put in your two cents... please?

You would be surprised at some of the national names that have expressed a preference to perform here. Also, a major show which made Esquire's top ten things to do in 2003 will be opening there new version here later this year. That festival has its own sound system and the festival will be the first of this summer's large concert series. We also have a great lawn with a stage under a huge oak for groups of 800 or less for which we have I have built a custom PA system for about $14k. It sure would make me smile to have a tree studded natural bowl filled with Klipsch sound! Life is getting exciting again... sure wish I had a bit more energy. More later...

-HornEd

Looks like Andy beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest something like the MCM Grand, especially for an outdoor venue that large.

Anway, glad to hear you are still doing good. You are definitly living one of my dreams in the owning of a resort as well as operating an amphitheater for big-name acts. I wish I had the capital, the business acoutement, and expertise to be able to do something like that.

Anyway, still plugging away with my trusty old Reference 7 theater, although I did add a B&K 7-channel amp. Sounds friggan awesome!

Again, glad to hear from you. Please, at least try to drop in and say "hi". There was a bunch of us here that was ready to write your eulogy, fearing for the worst, but hoping for the best. Turns out, it is the best and not the worst.

HornEd,

In just the last year or so, at least half a dozen MCM 1900 systems have sold on eBay...at relatively low prices...for your particular application, without actually seeing the location, I would go for two channels, with each channel consisting of four units...two MWM woofers(dual driver folded horn units) side by side, two more atop them...four MSSM (sub-squawker)units laid out atop the MWM stack in a radial array....four MSM (Squawker)units atop the four MSSM units, and one MTM (tweeter unit)unit centered atop each MSM unit. These would need to be under permanent cover unless you planned on moving them to storage after each concert.

You may find a theater upgrading in the California area that has these to sell reasonably...keep your eye out for them. The current version of the MCM1900 is called the MCM Grande...it can be found on the Klipsch website under theater systems....it is currently the "BIG DOG" of Klipsch systems. That may change in the near future though...I have heard rumors that one of PWK's last efforts will be upsized to become its replacement as the "Big Dog" in the Klipsch line-up.

As for old Roman amphitheaters in use in Europe...the one most commonly used for outdoor major concert venues is in extreme northeastern Italy...not very far from Trieste...the town is Udine (pronounced "ooDEEnay"), and I am quite sure your lady has heard of it...it would be hard for her NOT to have heard of it! It is a stone's throw from Switzerland, after all! In the old days they had three-day concerts up there with all the popular big-name rock bands. It is actually an old Roman stadium, not a true amphitheater...but those stadiums were elliptical and designed to carry the human voice in normal conversation up to the highest seats...and it is situated in a perfect natural bowl in the small mountain valley there! It is not easy to get to, but thousands managed to find a way to get there each summer for the big concerts!...they always do! Also, the bands just loved playing there...a perfect sonic location! Just imagine a small mountain town of maybe 500 people becoming a town of well over 5,000 people overnite! Kinda like a Euro-Woodstock! Those were the days!!

How about a "drive-in" amphitheater, with Quintets on posts right outside the car windows? If you can time it right, the good old San Andreas should provide enough low rumble.

Ed, you MUST have taken pictures of the place by now! Can we please see??

Yes, Andy, even I have been to Udine to marvel at those acoustics. Actually, I was thinking about four MCM's to better effectuate the sound stage for the farthest seats. It is surprising how well sound caries just in the natural bowl with brush, grass and trees. In addition to the natural upslope... the gentle prevailing wind sweeps over the reservoir and up the slope where the amphitheater is being built.

Some of my latter day audio engineering friends scoff at Monster Klipsch installations... but mine have always pleased me. Even the pro stuff that I have acquired that is other than Klipsch relies heavily upon horns to make things right.

Fini, I have lots of photos and even have one of me that was taken by a pro who will use it in a second edition of a best selling coffee table book called "Odd Jobs." The photographer/author is from NYC and seems to think that my influence on this place is something worth writing about. I'll have to dig up some shots of the Clubhouse Restaurant, pools, spas, sauna, tennis, volleyball and petanque courts, sundecks, hiking trails, "Little Village", the flowing creek... or even the view from the top of the mountain and the 87,000 gallon water tank that provides "bottled water quality" branch for your bourbon Fini.

Hmmm, I'll just have to reacquaint myself with the photo uplink after my long absence. It may take awhile this is a particularly busy week. -HornED

Ed,

If you need help with the photo thing, just PM/email me (or phone me). I've gotten fairly proficient at posting images!

Does your property have an "online presence?" I can't wait to see it! Is it close to the old Paul Mason Winery (a great venue, I saw Grisman and Grapelli there)?

Thanks wheelman. My participation on this Forum has covered a wide range of subjects from definitive timbre-matching, through stacked and inverted subwoofer arrays... and untold political, religious, and bigot busting banter. I would never have thought that there would be over a thousand "hits" and fifty postings over my health or continued existence.

The big story really is that as people, we all have something to contribute... something from which others may learn... even if they learn to do the exact opposite! Paul W. Klipsch may be gone, but "Uncle Fred" has allowed the spirit of a "No B.S. Forum" to grow and prosper... a place where we can help each other along our individual "sound" paths... and on the path of life that we each must walk. Your post helped me feel better about this particularly difficult day in which I must walk my walk in the best way I can... to make it to tomorrow. Thanks for being a friend to someone you have only met by the comments of others. -HornEd

----------------

On 2/18/2004 12:35:59 PM HornEd wrote:

The big story really is that as people, we all have something to contribute... something from which others may learn... even if they learn to do the exact opposite! -HornEd

----------------

Amen, Ed, and very well said, as always.

No thanks necessary for starting this thread, either. We've all been wondering and praying; I was just the guy that started the thread first.

A journey always begins with the first step...

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, just thought I would add a comment about the Yamaha vs. Denon controversy of a couple of years ago. It seems my fiancé comes complete with about $8k of sound systems... but nary a Klipsch. But there is a late model 7 channel Denon that I am going to try with the Klipschorn rig.

Seems she bought the speakers because they had a really good piano finish... and sounded good. The redeeming factor is that she singled me out after hearing "Hell Freezes Over" in my KLF-30 Legend Theater... she found that Klipsch is better than good... and if she wants to look at a piano finish... she just has to trot up to our restaurant and enjoy our grand piano.

Yep, looks like there are going to' be some shiny speakers available around here someday soon... I just doesn't seem right to have to change my avatar to read "7.1 HornlessEnergy"... 14.gif Of course, now I have to build a new Heritage House to fit my two loves... Kassandra and Klipsch. Okay, the order is just in case she takes a peek at this thread! -HornEd

PS: Hmmm, maybe I need to move up from this "No Life" image. I guess I ought to consult fini the shrink/rap guru and minestrone tester. He's got more experience with girls even if two of 'em are daughters. Maybe I can say "No Life" is what I had BEFORE she walked into the Klipsch Legend Theater instead of after I heard her Energy speakers!