Opinions on Tuners?

space_cowboy

You can pick up a used Scott tube tuner for under $200 that has been refurbished and had the tuning checked. Not really a match for the black ASL look, but good value for the money.

Putting a yagi antenna on the roof will pull in stations from a long distance away. You run RB-6 coax cable from the antenna to the amp. You need a converter at each end to change 75 ohms into 300 ohms. Well worth looking into.

I would second the Scott suggestion. They come up on e-Bay a lot. The 350/350B are generally in your price range. They seem to be universally held in high regard for sonics.

And they do not need the re-build work like a vintage amp--usually just an alignment.

Only question: ask someone who knows more than me if it would have any impedence incompatability with your more modern amp.

Mark

www.fmtunerinfo.com

I have used 3 digital tuners in the past 15 years.

My 1974 Yamaha SS analog is so much more full and detailed in the mids it is amazing,

I have a Sansui also.

If you can get a "FMTUNERINFO" top 50 list tuner for $ 50-120 off e bay they are sure to be a sound purchase with good resale value.

The tuner info site posted above is mandatory reading for anyone shopping for tuners.

Another spot I would suggest looking at is: www.antennaperformance.com. These guys take classic tuners, align them, tweak them, and sell them for a fair price for what you end up getting: a classic, well built analog tuner with improved performance that has been serviced and aligned by pros. The challenge with Ebay is that you're really not always sure what your getting. That may not matter if you're comfortable poking around inside of the unit and can do an alignment yourself If not, at least the Antenna Perforamnce guys guarantee their work.

You'll sometimes find tuners pop up in the "For Sale" section of this site that have been serviced prior to sale:

http://www.classicaudio.com/

There is another guy who collects vintage Fisher tube tuners and rebuilds them, and sells them for slightly above your stated price range. The results of the rebuild are supposed to be wonderful. If I can find his site again, I'll post it here.

The Sherwoood tube tuners are real sleepers IMO. I have an S-3000 (mono) for which I paid $30 in near-mint condition in its original box. Before you decide you have to have stereo, listen to a good-sounding mono tuner. The S/N is better and the distortion is lower. If you really want to go stereo, you could get one of the later, stereo tuners or add an outboard MPX decoder (the S-3000, e.g., has a pre-deemphasis output for an MPX decoder).

The S-3000 is the best sounding tuner in my house, besting my Yamaha CA-610, CR-1020 receiver, and Sansui TU717 -- not to mention the other, lesser, tuners and receivers hanging about :-)

I have 2 Sony ST-5000FW's and would be willing to sell one of them for $100.00 plus shipping. The 5000FW is considered a real sleeper by the tuner crowd. It was way overbuilt by Sony to compete with the megabuck tuners coming out of Japan and the US. I also have an Accuphase T-101, Sansui TU-919, Scott 300, and Kenwood 8300 along with Sony's. I know that's a little overkill, but I get them cheap from a guy that cruises estate sales and knows of my interest in tuners. Anyway, the 5000FW sounds better than all my tuners except for the Accuphase. It's been my experience that tube tuners (while VERY cool looking) do not always sound as good as the better solid state units available. BTW, tuner performance can be an extremely location subjective concept. A Marantz 10B (probably the most sought after tuner and usually costing over $2,000 on eBay) may not sound it's best if you have location issues that it cannot handle (sub-carriers, etc.).

Here is the Tuner Info link for the 5000FW - http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/reviewsO-Z.html#sony

Good Luck,

Chris

PS Almost all of the tuners listed above will work fine, but the most important thing often is what type of antenna you will be using and what issues your exact location may have.

If you decide on the Tube Tuner route check out Foster Blair for the alignment he is listed on wwww.fmtunerinfo.com first page about half way down or so. Great guy and reasonable prices.

------------

My Scott tuner was bought from Foster Blair and he was more than willing to talk and answer questions. The tuner arrived as advertised and works well.

Don