1967 Decorator Vertical Cornwalls - $1000 - Save Them!

Frzninvt

The seller that just posted the five auctions on eBay to cannibalize them is willing to sell them complete for $1000. S/N's are 1F034 & 1F035 they are the decorator series and will need some refinishing. The all alninco drivers look perfect as do the crossovers. Help save these things from being cannabilized. Maybe you could work them down to $900 or less if you are good haggler I don't know but is certainly a shame to see them parted out. His name is Jess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3074283269&category=3276

The cannibals only got the hearts, the networks. Actually, I've e-mailed the buyer of the networks, and he seems amenable to selling them after he has done some research with them. So for now, I will consider them to be "still" alive.

Can anyone identify a problem with me running them with AA networks for the time being? I expect that I will lose something between 500 Hz and 600 Hz, but would I harm anything?

I also have a line on some other "B" networks that I could buy this weekend. Could I harm anything by using these other "B" networks of a different vintage? Pardon my ignorance, and thanks for your help.

Chris

Four hours of driving for my new "B" networks, and these babies sound awesome! The cabinets are actually in very good shape. The faces have been painted , but only a slim shade from the original factory black. The only real scratches are on one long side of each of the speakers. There are still metal "feet" on one of the short sides, but no protection was used on the long side. There is also subtle marring where someone pried off the emblems, and turned them 90 degrees, but didn't re-install them in a manner that covered the old nail holes. All the corners are square and crisp, and the cabinets look like they have never been exposed to daylight. Other than my re-finished Shorhorns, these are the cleanest cabinets I own. The labels read C.D.15-FB. Cornwall. Decorator. 15" K-33-J (looks NEW). Fir? Black. (Flat Black?) It looks to be the same paint as my '73 La Scala type K-447's that have woofer access from the TOP.

It turns out that I had met the seller before. He was the brewer in a small town pub in Oregon, 2 miles down the road from my sister's house. He purchased these from the original owner who had them built into his retirement house in Hood River. When the man I bought them from brought them to his home, he (and his wife) decided that they were too damn big. Just my luck.

Now I guess I need another amp to play with. This addiction is giving a new meaning to the term "home stereo" for me. The modified Khorns are in the living room, the Shorthorns are in the dining room, and I have La Scalas running in Center (mono?) with one each in the TV/Guest room and kitchen. I believe I will leave that as is, and add the Cornwalls in the TV room with the La Scala Center as the beginning of a HT setup. Thanks for the tip about these wonderful '67 vertical Cornwalls from the year of my birth.

Chris

I am glad someone was able to get them intact, it bothered me to see them parted out. Hence my plea here on the forum for someone to rescue them. I have led many folks here on the forum to Heritage speakers. I find them listed all over and bring the links here for all. Way to go Chris, I know the feeling on the Cornwalls made the year you were born, hence my reason for purchasing the '62's that I have. The '62's original drivers are still in like new shape as well, amazing after 41 years soon to be 42. Awesome! I am glad someone got hooked up with them. 9.gif