Sony SACD XA777ES VS. XA9000ES/better?

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 1/27/2004 8:33:35 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Please remember that these hundreds will not sound as good as if played through a high quality CD player. Most SACD players, still doesn't sound so good with redbook cd's. Unless you plan to buy many SACD titles and forget about redbook cd's.

----------------

Guy,

My 555ES plays redbook cds very well. Maybe not as nice as a dedicated high end cd player but better than a standard $200 cd player or dvd player for sure. If Smilin gets an SACD player, it's a good bet that by the end of the week the SACD shelves at his local BB will be empty!

Smilin,

Here is an interesting post over at Audio Asylum:

Just an initial impression mind you, and for the fact that all my gear is fresh out of the box, take that into consideration, however...

To compliment the XA9000ES I have a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista tube DAC. When I compared the 5900 redbook to it, there was not contest, the Tri-Vista was more detailed, dyanmic and musical, in fact the best player/DAC component I've ever heard on redbook in my system. Last night I a/b'd the XA9000ES redbook to the MF DAC. No difference whatsoever. Identical twins even. I'm still a little shocked, as we're talking a dedicated tube DAC vs a pure solid state component, but no matter how hard I listened the only variences in sound charcter were so minor as to not be worth notine. I'm giving both components many more hours to break-in before making a final decision, but it looks like the XA9000 may end up being the top and only dog on both redbook and SACD in my system.

I wouldn't be concerned about its ability to play CDs!

As to which one of the two you mention, I guess it depends on how much a little improvement is worth to you in terms of money. There probably isn't a huge difference. Looks like one of the key selling features on the new model is the Firewire connection, and you don't need that.

2 months ago I had a chance to audition a Sony 9000ES sacd player, and a Meridian 588 cdp. The system components were: VTL Ultimate preamp (that used to belong to me), HK Citation 2 amp (with full Jim Mcshane mods) Sonus Faber Cremona loudspeakers. Interconnects were VDH MC-Silver ($1800 pr) and Audioquest Dragon speaker cable ($$$$$$$$$).

When both players played redbook cd's, the Meridian was better in every aspect. It sounded much fuller and had better imaging, while the sony sounded like a very cheap entry level player. It was more 2 dimensional and lacked the sound stage depth and it was also very harsh. When we used the Sony with SACD and compared the same title on cd played by the the Meridian 588 (the lable was different), it seemed that the Meridian lost a little bit in resolution to the Sony, but the Sony was very fatiguing and not as involving as the Meridian with redbook. It also seemed that the performance lost all its weight in order to get that extra resolution, and that the sound was too dry and lacking air.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/27/2004 7:55:16 PM Piranha wrote:

No you sure don't
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

What's wrong with the Denon 2900 you have? I was thinking about buying one. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

----------------

There is nothing wrong with the denon 2900, it's great, but for exclusive 2-channel it's a pia, menue goes to TV not needed with tube 2-channel, dvd-a, not need for 2-channel, sacd needed for 2-channel and great redbook playback need for 2-channel.

3.gif I would recommend that for HT/2-channel the denon is great, unless you want fabulous sacd 2/channel2.gif3.gif11.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

Please remember that these hundreds will not sound as good as if played through a high quality CD player. Most SACD players, still doesn't sound so good with redbook cd's. Unless you plan to buy many SACD titles and forget about redbook cd's.

----------------

Guy, I dont want to argue here cause i do not know yet, I just want info. and suggestions

Do you really think the sony SUCKS for redbook?6.gif I have read reviews, and they say it's GREAT, as I have not heard either as of yet, I will know mor after I demo both tomorrow, and my ears will tell me.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

----------------

Guy, I cannot believe you can tell me these are not high grade players, please look at the audiophiles on audiogon and what they have to say about these players

Smilin

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/27/2004 8:39:27 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

----------------

Guy,

My 555ES plays redbook cds very well. Maybe not as nice as a dedicated high end cd player but better than a standard $200 cd player or dvd player for sure. If Smilin gets an SACD player, it's a good bet that by the end of the week the SACD shelves at his local BB will be empty!

----------------

2.gif2.gif2.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif12.gif12.gif12.gif13.gif2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/27/2004 8:42:09 PM paulparrot wrote:

Smilin,

Here is an interesting post over at Audio Asylum:

Just an initial impression mind you, and for the fact that all my gear is fresh out of the box, take that into consideration, however...

To compliment the XA9000ES I have a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista tube DAC. When I compared the 5900 redbook to it, there was not contest, the Tri-Vista was more detailed, dyanmic and musical, in fact the best player/DAC component I've ever heard on redbook in my system. Last night I a/b'd the XA9000ES redbook to the MF DAC. No difference whatsoever. Identical twins even. I'm still a little shocked, as we're talking a dedicated tube DAC vs a pure solid state component, but no matter how hard I listened the only variences in sound charcter were so minor as to not be worth notine. I'm giving both components many more hours to break-in before making a final decision, but it looks like the XA9000 may end up being the top and only dog on both redbook and SACD in my system.

I wouldn't be concerned about its ability to play CDs!

As to which one of the two you mention, I guess it depends on how much a little improvement is worth to you in terms of money. There probably isn't a huge difference. Looks like one of the key selling features on the new model is the Firewire connection, and you don't need that.

----------------

Thanks Paul, that seems to be a common feeling of these sony's by audiophiles...just want toknow if any of you guys have listened to one or both on Klipsch speakers/with tubes so I can get apple to apple opinions

2.gif and I would much rather spend less $$$$ unless the 9000 is WAY WAY better.

Smilin

Nice review BTW16.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/27/2004 8:42:57 PM Kudret wrote:

Smilin,

If you decide to pass up the XA777ES, can you let me know. Thank you.

Kudret

----------------

Kundret, what do you know about the XA777ES, have you heard it? what is your opinion, and if you tell me than I will make sure you get it if I don't

Smilin2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/27/2004 8:36:50 PM MarkBK wrote:

Guys,

I would still look real seriously at the 2900. Even though Craig raises a valid concern about playing all the formats - the 2900 has been praised for it sonics in SACD and I belive it does do 2 channel.

Smilin - ya got one - just hook it up to the Scott and listen before ya pull the trigger - ya may be surprised and save a few bucks in the process.

Also - remember - CES just happened - that means new models - new features - lower prices on existing models....
2.gif

----------------

Mark the 2900 IS a great multifunction unit, but not real good for 2-channel w/o tv2.gif

Gary/Smilin,

I'm not saying that the sony can/does not sound nice. I think that it's more of a matter of different tastes and different standards.

I've lived/owned some very high end Cd players like:

Theta Data basic II tranport and Apogee DA1000E-20 or Theta Pro generation 5a or DPA PDM2 mk2 dacs

Bow Technology ZZ-8

Burmester 939

Marantz CD-7

Wadia 861

CAL Tempest II se

and have auditioned some others like the Meridian 588 and Symphonic line reference.

These are all top of the line cd players. I also think that the qulity of sound reproduction of these machines, did not improve that much, over the years, and I was always happy to get back to my few years old Theta/Apogee combo.

I think that SACD sound still fails to keep its promise regarding the quality of reproduction and the similarity to good analog setups (good joke) and I'll repeat that to my ears, it is lacking involvement and very mechanical sounding. I'm listening to a much cheaper setup, these days, but manged to achieve, great results (that are equal or better than my previous cdp's) with my Marantz transport and Apogee dac.

Man Guy, I see an uphill battle here on this one. Although I have to agree with you in some ways. While stopping short of calling SACD mechanical, I will say that it is less involving as I would have hoped and seems more buttoned up without invoking emotion in me. I think the differing levels of participation and experience is counting for some of these differences. SACD is surely NOT as intimate and involving as analog. IS SACD an improvement over most digital? YES... and no. I dont think the SACD I have heard have really brought out the same feelings I have had with vinyl.

While listening to a Song SCD-777es, I felt at once slightly removed, admiring the sound but somehow more apart then even the same system via the little Tjoeb 99. I hope to be hearing the 777es in my own system very soon to get more input here.

Before that, I thought cheap SACD players hadnt surpassed some of the more refined mid cost machines ala Rega, Tjoeb, Arcam, etc. I realize this is counter to much of the regular audio press here as well as the prevailing opinion. But there are quite a number of souls who are less than happy... ,a few are going to single bit, zero oversampling machines, NO DIGITAL FILTER options ala AudioNote and Sakura Systems. I was already preferring some 20 bit machines I heard to 24bit. SACD has a smoother top end yes. AND I will say I think SACD wins the RESOLUTION award too. Yep, I think there is more resolution and a BLACKER BACKGROUND on the GOOD SACD like the 777es.

But there is something missing in even the best machines. But I have avoided talking too much till I listen some more.

I expect some more time with the excellently built, solid as the rock of Gibraltar, Sony SCD-777es.

kh

"When both players played redbook cd's, the Meridian was better in every aspect. It sounded much fuller and had better imaging, while the sony sounded like a very cheap entry level player. It was more 2 dimensional and lacked the sound stage depth and it was also very harsh."

It must of have those crappy $8000 interconnects, because you are the FIRST and ONLY person on the whole planet involved with this hobby to describe the sound of this player in this way.

You might want to check out my review: http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=10846

Since your building a two channel system, you really don't need video capability, and the 777 is supposed to be an awesome player. Considering the price you can get it for -- I say go for it.

Snap, crackle, pop, snap, crackle, pop -- c'mon Kelly.9.gif

I really think there is huge gap in experience and reference. I see this getting more and more noticable. Lately, it's been a whirlwind here. The reference point is just not the same so peope are talking right past each other. Music, experince, systems, sensitivity, reference points are all so varying. Conjecture is getting hard when one person's pot of gold is another's park bench.

kh

ps- snap crackle pop? I could say 0s and 1s ... Numbers are easier to remember, right? It seems so these days.

I like the park bench, the view is nice and it relaxes me. The pot of gold is fleeting, and isn't worth the pot it's sitting in.

I work with binary math every day. You'd be amazed at what those zeros and ones can do. You should see what an IP address really looks like.