Replace Heresy with RF-3...Crazy??

jelliott100

Well, here goes. This has been bouncing around in the back of my mind for a while now and I thought I would solicit opinions.

My current setup consists of Heresy II mains and an RC-3, with some old RS Minimus 11's for surrounds. I had a total meltdown one night a few weeks ago and purchased another pair of Heresy II's (ebay) to replace the radio shack rears. Now that I've had this second pair of Heresy's in the house for a while, I beginning to realize that integrating them into my room is going to be a tremondous hassle. I'm either going to have to mount them to ceiling and thus figure out some way to get wires up there, or, buy new (smaller) furniture so that there will be room to mount them on stands, on the floor. Both of these options are really un-desirable to me.

There are two plans floating around in my head. One, sell the second pair of HII's and buy a pair of RS-3's and just keep my Main's. Second, I could sell all four Heresy's and pick up both RS-3's and RF-3's so that I would have a matched system.

RS-3's would be so easy for me to mount with no extra shelf building or ceiling hanging and the wires are already in place to the current surrounds. Plus, the RF-3 being so much thinner than the Heresy would allow me much greater placement latitude in my smallish (11 ft wide) room.

The other thing lurking in my evil (according to my wife) mind is selling one pair of Heresy's, using that money and my tax refund to buy RF-3's and RS-3's, keeping my original pair of Heresy's and building a 2 channel only, all tube setup in another room. Don't tell my wife. If she knew that was even IN my mind....it wouldn't be pretty.

I guess I'm just kinda thinking out loud here but I'd be interested to hear any opinions anyone might have. I've auditioned the RF's and I like the way they sound for HT but I haven't really listened to them analytically for music/2-channel.

------------------

--Elliott--

This message has been edited by jelliott100 on 06-21-2001 at 11:21 AM

....... while your on Ebay, pick up a ring or something for her.....

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Elliot,

Typically die-hard Klipsch fans tend to buy houses to accommodate their Klipsch speakers (especially K-horns), not vice versa.

However, you can't just say "Honey, this room just doesn't cut it when it comes to ideal Klipsch speaker placement, so we need a new house."

It needs to go something like "if we were to buy a bigger/different house, you could have that sewing room you've always wanted. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and I just want you to be happy..."

I'm obviously tongue in cheek here, but when I bought my past two houses, I made darn sure they had good corners and room for my Cornwalls. (Anybody else do something similar?)

I hope this helps (somehow I don't think it will).

Klipschguy

• 1 month later...

OK Elliott,here is what you do.Upgrade to the 3801 and get 2 more Heresy IIs!!!!cwm35.gif

Sell the RC-3.

Then you will have 6.1 and matching speakers,no question about it.The NEO6:Music sounds very good if you are into multi-channel music.

Or keep the RC-3,add to it and move the 2801 into the bedroom.cwm1.gif

I would also go with option 3. I love my Reference series for HT & music, but I always regret not keeping my Heresy II's for 2-channel.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

-------------------------

Family room:

RB-5's (Mahogony)

Receiver: Denon AVR-2000 (2ch.)

CD Player: old Sony (vintage 1986 - needs replaced)