Dean is right!

Daddy Dee

Well, have been on the phone with the good people in the Klipsch parts department.

Asked to clarify the cost for the Klipschorn upgrade, which amounts to three new parts: tweeter, mid-driver, and crossover. $900 (aprox) EACH. So it would cost $1800 to upgrade a pair of Klipschorns or LaScalas. I suppose it was just my wishful thinking that made me think the price for a pair was only $900.

Also, and I'm scratching my head on this one, the K-505 horn lens for Belle is $137 ea. The price on the K-401 horn lense for LaScala or Khorn is $49 ea. Go figure, but it is a fabulous price for the K-401. I am pretty sure that a year ago they quoted me a $200 ea. price on the K-401.

Greg is one of the guys in parts I've talked to a couple of times. Very decent guy, knows his stuff and good to work with.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't think anyone needs to worry about me becoming an amplifier "expert". But hey, I have learned several different ways to have the sh!t shocked out of me, and that's gotta count for something.

Yeah baby, loving that old dirty gritty pentode sound. Bring on the grunge!

I've been overdosing on vintage integrateds the last three days with a bit of respite with the Moondogs while out in the main room. It's been interesting and I havent even dragged the beasts into the CW room!

I about lost my eyesight trying to compare the 10000 samples of Scott 299 in existance! Lord, I have TOO many pictures on my HD!

kh

Probably a supply/demand thing on the 505. They probably are not too much in demand so the price is higher.

Just a guess. BTW I dampened my K500's in my Belles with dynamatt but ended up takeing it off as I liked the sound better without it. I'm a drum freak guess and like the sound of drums much better undampened.

hoggy

----------------

On 1/30/2004 6:41:47 PM hoggy wrote:

Probably a supply/demand thing on the 505. They probably are not too much in demand so the price is higher.

Just a guess. BTW I dampened my K500's in my Belles with dynamatt but ended up takeing it off as I liked the sound better without it. I'm a drum freak guess and like the sound of drums much better undampened.

hoggy

----------------

Yep, I think I was surprised at the difference the dynamat made. When I first did it, I was thinking I'd lost too much, but got used to it.

Due to the limited production rate for the Belle, the K-505 horn is produced by a different process than the others. It is more expensive per unit, but has vastly lower tooling cost.

I noticed the difference during the trip to Indy and ask. Ay $50 each, I need to find an excuse to buy some K-401s!

----------------

On 1/30/2004 9:31:26 PM John Albright wrote:

Due to the limited production rate for the Belle, the K-505 horn is produced by a different process than the others. It is more expensive per unit, but has vastly lower tooling cost.

I noticed the difference during the trip to Indy and ask. Ay $50 each, I need to find an excuse to buy some K-401s!

----------------

Thanks for the info John.

excuse to buy some 401's indeed. I was thinking of the 505's for a Heresy on Steroids project, inspired by Al K. But, don't know what I'll do for mid horns now. 401's are the right price o.k., but will have to think of a different name for that! Maybe "Heresy AFTER YEARS ON Steroids".

2.gif

Max,

Your mind must be in the gutter. I bet you are the only person on the forum who looked at that post title and thought of Howard Dean.

BTW, I'd sure like to have a wave file of his screech in Iowa. Thought it was kinda cute. It would make a nice option to add in to my windows sound files. Maybe a good alternate for system error.

Edit: p.s. well maybe it was because you couldn't imagine our Dean and "right" being used in the same sentence. 9.gif

"...his views go against the "accepted view" on amplification on this forum..."

Sure about this? Should we take a poll? Since PP owners, in both SS and tube, probably outnumber the SET users 100 to 1 -- you might want to rethink what the "accepted view" on this forum is!

Dean and Paul,

agreed - but the SET amp owners are rather more vocal.

100:1 - that I am no sure about, 5:1 maybe - on the 2 channel forum.

you want a poll - have a poll - prove me wrong.

FWIW - I am as into the PP camp as you guys are with my only reservation being that I am yet to hear a good SET amp for any period of time.

Push pull and SS are at least 100 to 1 over SET there are only a handful of SET owners on this forum. But like mentioned earlier there are very vocal and present ! I have at least 200 PP amps being used by forum members. Many of these people refrain from posting ! Now if you want to talk highly active poster the ratio drops dramatically.

Craig

DEAN HAS NEVER BEEN RIGHT IN HIS LIFE !!!!