I'm In Shock..RF-7 vs Chorus IIs NEED Input !!!!

norcuron

I have owned a set of Chorus IIs for 13 years. It was a great when I put down 15 $100 dollar bills on the counter and took them home. I have loved those speakers since day 1.

I went out today looking at upgrading my Marantz Receiver and wound up at Good Guys. I noticed they had a pair of RF-7s and decided to demo them...Loud.... ;)The sales guy had to finish up another sale so his exact words were "Do whatever ya like, and see if you can Blow them up" I laughed and decided to put some serious Rock and Roll through them. My one concern was that the room that they had them in had two large door openings that led out to the rest of the store (without Doors attached, so it opened right into everything). I put in an old Winger CD, that has a great intro and some serious bass. I had 4 different sales guys from different parts of the store run into the room freaking out about how loud I had them. My sales guy just laughed and said don't worry about them, if you are going to spend $2200 ya have to know what they will do. He said that they had never had anyone demo the speakers like I did. My goal was to test them to their limits, but never have them distort or start to "bap" the woofers.

I can honestly say I felt they were cleaner and louder than my Chrous IIs. My Wife agreed and both of us are a little shell shocked.

Has anyone else here done any serious comparing? The Mgr offered to sell me the pair on the spot for $2k even, but I told him I wanted to wait until my SVS PB2+ arrives. What do you guys think? What advantages do you think the Chorus IIs have over the RF-7?

Thanks for info and input.

Mark

You are right on that price point...I always like to get a good deal and will definately look around for other dealers. I will also most likely bring home a set where I can truly compare the 2 side by side. It is hard to compare at your home vs. the store.

Mark

The RF-7s are a two way design and should be a bit smoother due to the two way design. The Rf-7s weigh 90 pounds each. The ChorusIIs are a three way design and weigh less than the 7s.

You might want to post your experience on the 2-channel forum. There is a constant debate there on the merits of the RF-7s versus the Heritage speakers. Both sides have proponents. One poster believes that the RF-7s are hard to beat by anything less that the K-horns. Some folks on the 2 channel forum are "conditioning" the capacitors in the crossovers of the 7s and reporting excellent results. Conditioning helps "form" the capacitors via the use of DC current.

Bill

HMMM. If you truly love the Chorus's Heritage sound, I personally find it hard to believe you would be happy with the RF sound. The two sounds are very distinct to me.

The store will sound different than your home. That is a given. You really won't know untill you get them home and run side by side.

To me, the Chorus is one of my all time favorite Heritage speakers. Very flat curve and detailed response and definetly has the large PWK Heritage sound.

If you want bass slam and overall loudness spend your $2200 on used Khorns, Belles or LAS, which IMO would be a more significant upgrade than Reference.

JM

I am going to bring a pair of the 7s home today and will compare. It could have just been the room and different equipment than I am using. I will definately let you guys know. I appreciate the responses. I am also curious as to how my first sub is going to sound. SVS emailed me yesterday and my PB2+ shipped :)

Mark

----------------

On 1/30/2004 9:50:36 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

The RF-7s are a two way design and should be a bit smoother due to the two way design. The Rf-7s weigh 90 pounds each. The ChorusIIs are a three way design and weigh less than the 7s.

Bill

----------------

See, I suppose this is where personal taste comes in (or maybe I have tin ears?)

I've always found three-way speakers to be much smoother and more personable than two ways. I can very nearly hear the struggle in the mid regions of a two-way as the tweeter tries to reach down and the woofer tries to reach up, ever so slightly out of their comfort ranges. With a good three way, I hear balance, and a sense of ease, as each speaker is driving exactly what it was meant to drive, no more, no less. Hell, even my S-38's, which have a terrible crossover network, still sound smooth as silk compared to two-way bookshelfs that I have auditioned side-by-side with them. The two-way units just sound like they're straining to reach the bottom of the frequency range, and straining to output sufficient midrange.

Test report,S&V-since the 7's were intended to hold their own as a stereo pair I started out listening to just them.I was quickly struck by the 7's clarity and definition,especially through the midrange and low treble.I heard impressive detail and timbral precision on elements like the hand percussion on All roads to the River.Direct comparison with 2 pairs of excellent,conventional two way speakers I use for reference were intriguing.The 7's didn't produce more detail or heighten the detail,everthing I heard on them I heard on the others as well.But the 7's made inner elements somehow more immediate,more clear edged.Its hard to articulate,though something I have noticed from excellent horn speakers like the inwall monitors in big studios costing $50k a pair.The 7's were far from warm or laid back in the treble,but were never strident,aggressive,or hot sounding.The 7's encouraged my ears to listen into the midrange.We are talkin' big time performance in a big way.S&V May 2002.I guess we do all have our own personal taste,but we're not the only ones.I don't want to try to convince anyone this Klipsch is better than that one,just makin' the point the 7's ain't kids stuff.

I wanted to give you guys my update as well:

Hi All,

I just spent the last 2 solid hours comparing these side by side, one Chorus on Left and an RF-7 on right, vice a versa, both RF-7s, then back to both Chorus lol. Here is my honest opinion: I will be returning the RF-7s. This was a great reality check as to how great the Chorus IIs are. As far as music goes, there is no comparison in the highs, the tweeter on the Chorus bring out more. I do hear the tinty bright part on the higest part of the spectrum and may try some of the mods I have read about. As for Bass, I think the RF-7 was a little better, but I will have my new SVS PB2+ this Wed by 5pm. I would say that they are closest in classical music. Country, Rock, and old pop like Chicago all sounded better to me and my wife on the Chorus. My wife said she felt the Chorus IIs sounded more alive and that the voices seemed blended into the music more on the RF-7 to a point of almost losing the voices compared to the Chorus (hope that makes sense). The Chorus IIs are also a little louder at same volume (not better in that aspect, just an observation). I was surprised, because I honestly thought I was going to be keeping these as I drove home. I think if anywhere I need to upgrade from the Marantz receiver. I think could help the slight tinty sound on the Choruses.

This truly shows that you cannot make wise decisions without comparing the speakers side by side. Thanks you Klipsch for making great speakers and thank you forum for throwing your opinions my way.

Norcuron,

I do not notice the loss of voices in the music on my RF-7s. The RF-7 is designed to work with a center channel in a multi-channel setup. The center usually does most of the vocals and the towers are designed not to step on the center channel.

Room acoustics and components may have an impact on the outcome. Since it is your room and components, there is little doubt that you made a good decision.

Enjoy the new subwoofer. You will have more than enough bass.

Bill

SteelsFan..good point...I have been tweaking with them more and more and have them adjusted much better than before. I tried to keep everything as flat as possible, but after adjusting things..they are sounding better...I am undecided now.

Mark

nocuron,

The RF-7s do break in to a noticeable degree. I had assumed that you had floor models. If your 7s are brand new, they will get better over time. Placement is also important. The RF-7s have huge rear ports that should not be too close to a wall.

If you are headed in the direction of home theater, the RC-7 works well with the towers. Multi-channel music also sounds excellent through the 7s.

Bill

Bi-wires seem to help a little. Plain 12 ga. stranded copper wire works well. The benefit seems to be from lowered resistance and better contact with the speaker terminals. If you bi-wire, the jumpers should be removed. Plain copper does oxidize, so tinning or banana plugs on the ends should help.

An RC-7 would match the RF-7s and give a seamless front three.3.gif

Bill

At least you're goin' about it the right way,take some time to do a good audition.Whether you keep em' or not at least you'll know you made the right decision for you.On the biwire ?,it may (note may)make a very slight difference,but don't base your decision on what may be.If you are using good 12 guage cable its not gonna be much different.

Is the difference/improvement in the sound worth the difference in price to you? I would audition any SS receiver that you may buy with the Chorus II's. For 2 channel it will be tough to beat the sound you will get from the Chorus with a tube amp.

Keith