heresy veneering project

klipschaholik

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It helps to fill any dents or chips to the base you are applying the veneer to. Overlap the veneer sheets 1/4 inch on all edges, and after the glue sets I hand trim the edges with the exacto knife down to 1/16 inch or so then hand sand with a sanding block keeping the block flat as you cross the edges of the speaker so as not to round over the cabinet. I rough sand with a 150 grit and next with a 220 and finally down to a 600 grit. I did pull the 600 grit sheet across the edges without the block holding the ends of the sheet and pulling it back and forth over the edge. This paper removes very little wood. I used a wood conditioner and fine steel wool before before staining. I'm working on the finish now. more pics to come.

----------------

On 1/31/2004 2:03:41 PM klipschaholik wrote:

I purchased the veneer from Ebay, where else? There's a seller who has different varieties listed all the time. This was some walnut 16X24 that was a perfect fit. Its not backed. Being wide like that you have to be carefull from spitting. After applying the glue I layed the piece down on a flat surface and held it in place.

----------------

Good work, and your thread is a fabulous resource. Nicely done. Can you share the seller's name? I see a lot of veneering in my future, some of choice and some of necessity.

Yes, if you have the time. It makes handling the speaker much easier and you will have to move them around. I just didn't want to take the time to remove the components, but these speakers only weight in at 45 pounds. The C's are going to be heavy even without the components so if your not rushed you may save yourself a trip to the chiropractor. If you leave them in, be sure you use a heavey paper; I used shelf paper and masking tape. You certainly don't won't trash getting inside your horns. I'm thinking about refinishing my C's after I get through with the Heresys. Good luck

Great pics of great work! I am going to be building a Flexy rack out of walnut plywood and will veneer the edges, so this is good motivation for me. I will have to try the alcohol trick to see how the finish matches up with my K-horns. If I see the grey/green coming through, then I'll certainly look at one of the color stains. That cherry looks pretty close to what my walnut K-horn finish is.

Finally finished. I applied a 'BLO', boiled linseed oil finish and they look pretty nice, if I may say so myself, for an amateur. Now if I can just find some badges. Anyone have a spare pair laying around? I'll throw up a few more pics to follow.

The worst problem I had with the veneer was some splitting while applying the hot iron to the surface. I may not have let the glue set up long enough, but a little wood filler blended with some walnut stain fills the cracks and doesn't show up much. But, don't be afraid to try this if you've been considering it. 2.gif

post-14322-13819251881808_thumb.jpg

Niiiice! Good job Rick. Did you put any stain on the walnut? They have a nice redish glow in the picture. I applied a second application of BLO this weekend outside in the warm FL sun. I am really pleased with the appearence. Starting to think about re-doing my Corns to get back to that original brownish walnut. Mine have turned that orangish color over the years. Wonder what everyone thinks about that.