DRD 2A3 will comes on monday

lorcoll

My Welborne DRD 2A3 will comes from USA to Italy on monday.

The amps will stay with me only if them sound better than my GTA SE 300B.

What do you think about?

I invite anyone that have bought a DRD 2A3 to tell his opinion.

Thanks.

My system:

Cdp Lector 0.5T

Pro-ject RP9 with Denon DL-103 and step-up Audio Innovations 1000

CJ PV8

GTA SE-300B (mid-high)

CJ MV-50 (bass through a potentiometer)

Khorns 1982 (ak2 for now - ALK will arrives the next week)

Altec 511B not installed (for now)

Hi Lorenzo,

I don't have a DRD2A3 but have the DRD45. I also have the 2A3 Moondogs. When I got my 2A3 moondogs, I prefered them over my 300B amps. The 2A3 amps were more lively and dynamic than my 300B. Also the DRD design is the quietest SET amp that I have heard. No hum at all! - I am betting that you'll love them.

What part of Italy do you live in? - I visted there a couple years ago and went trout fishing near the Swiss Border in a town named Sondrio. We then stayed at a Villa overlooking the Med. Sea in Ligura. Overlooking the town of Portofino. Wonderful food! Not a bad meal in the whole country!

Hi Cut,

I work in a great Bank and now I live in the south (Salerno)but tomorrow.....

My Gta are totally quiet and I hope my new amps are like you say.

I have ordered the Sovtek 2A3 (for now) but I love the Fullmusic 300B mesh plate that I use.

Do you think I have to change the Sovtek for the TJ 2A3?

Many peolpe think TJ is better than Sovtek.

I can buy the TJ mesh for about 155 euro (I think it's a good price).

Ciao.

First, the DRD 45 amp seems to have garnered a bit more praise and feedback online from the various forums. We have ONE forum member here that has a DRD 2A3 which was heard by 3 members. IT seems to need a low impedance preamp to sound its best and has had some problems mating with high Z pres. Rather poor results have been achieved with a Cary SLP-70 and an Arthur Loesch Custom phono/line stage. At the least, be aware of preamp matching in the equation. I have Welborne 2A3 Moondogs and found no matching problems at all with the Cary SLP-70 so not sure what is up with this version of the DRD 2A3. You might have opted for different options as well.

The best thing is to give it a listen without too many preconceived notions. Judge it with an open mind in your own system. As with many forums, people recommend what they own...until they sell it! heh...

On the TJ Meshplate 2A3, I have not heard the latest, pure 2A3 version. I have heard the "original" TJ Meshplate 300B/2.5v version in several amps and systems. Compared to the Sovtek 2A3, I thought the 300B/2.5v sounded more lush and full, but was not near as focused in the midrange. This tube seemed to have a rich, large presentation. I just didnt think it had great inner detail. There was an amorphous quality about it, this in the Wright Sound 3.5 or my Moondogs driving three different systems. I also noted a slightly slower presentation vs other 2A3 on hand. My buddy with the Wright 2A3 has Sovtek, vintage Cunningham Meshplates, RCA Black Plates, and the original TJ 300b/2.5v 2A3 sub. The TJ gets played the least of the mix.

I would probably go with the dedicated 2A3 version but note that the new 2A3 from TJ is recommending LOWER PLATER voltage than others at 250v. I actually notice a slightly lower plate voltage rec for the original as well. The Sovteks can actually run at pretty high voltage and take it like a champ. It's not the best 2A3 I have heard but one of the most rugged and a good percentage of the quality you get with something like the better NOS RCA Black Plates. btw, I have not heard the later gold pin, ceramic base 300B/2.5 2A3 sub, but based on my experience with the original, I would want to audition first. The TJ tubes are BEAUTIFUL to look at and are a great light show.

Try your DRD 2A3 and let it break in before drawing too many conclusions. As for the bass, the 2A3 has excellent DETAILED bass, perhaps more detailed and engaging than the 300B but not as full tonally. I tend to prefer its presentation.

kh

Thank you Mobile for the detailed infos.

My CJ PV-8 has an output impedance of 200 ohm and that is a low value (good match with the DRD?).

If I have understand right do you think the TJ 300B/2.5v is better than the new TJ 2A3 for this amp?

If it's so, I have to expect for others opinions before I buy another tube.

I'll use the DRD 2A3 alone and then coupled with the CJ MV-50 (for now this last solution is far better than others on my Khorns and 300B).

I think I'll write my first impression in this forum next week.

You have it exactly opposite. I DID NOT particularly care for the "original" TJ 300B/2.5v. It's a nice tube to have around but I would not have it as my first choice. I have not heard the more expensive "ceramic-gold pin" version. I said, if you were wanting to get the TJ Meshplate, I would try the ST glass 2A3 Meshplate...their latest 2A3 offering over the others. To be honest, I would do some research in the SET Asylum and elsewhere getting more comments on this tube.

I would choose a handful of other 2A3 before the TJ but again, this is just my opinion. To be honest, since amps have different operating points and voltages, sometimes comparison is difficult. I did audition the TJ 300B/2.5v in several amps in several systems. I am going to listen to it again the next time Tad comes down here. My comments, again, are pertaining to the original tube.

On the Conrad Johnson PV-8, that is lower output impedance than either my Cary and WAAAY lower than the High Z Arthur Loesch pre constructed by Jeff Lessard (Painful Reality). In that aspect, you are looking good. As for the sound, all is conjecture here. You need to do some listening, let the amps and tubes get some time, and see how it goes. Dont draw too many conclusions right off the bat. IT will definitely be a different presentation than your GTA 300B.

kh

ps- JMON, the black plates actually have plates that are either black or very darkish grayish black. The RCA Gray Plates are a much lighter shade. Then there are also different versions of Black Plates.

"I would choose a handful of other 2A3 before the TJ but again, this is just my opinion. To be honest, since amps have different operating points and voltages, sometimes comparison is difficult."

Yup. If only aural memory was like olfactory memory.

The 5 volt TJ 300B, and 2.5 volt 300B wannabe(2A3

replacement)both run 300 volt plate voltages at 60 mils.

These are the data I could find for the mesh plates.

(I can't find data for my solid plate TJ 2.5 volt 300B, though it's probably the same.)

I do notice that they do a have a actual 2A3 replacement, with 250 volt plates at 60 mils.

Lorenzo,

Congrats on the Welborne DRD 2A3. I'll look forward to hearing what you think of it.

On tubes, I have been very well pleased listening to Sovtek 2A3 on my Wright 2A3's. Also have TJ Mesh 2A3 and think it is o.k., but don't like it as much in the Wrights. What I have found to be a wonderful 2A3 tube in the Wrights is the AVVT 2A3 Mesh from Jac's Music. They are more expensive than the TJ's, but to my ears and in my Wright amps, they are the clear winners. In terms of bang for the buck. Can't beat Sovtek and RCA blackplates are also very good. I wouldn't feel deprived if Sovtek and RCA were all I used.

Daddy,

many people have told me very good things about the AVVT 2A3 Mesh tube but others think that at least part of the AVVT mesh plate's exciting sound and big soundstage derives from the tube's microphonics.

It isn't a problem for me (I want only a good sound) but I don't want to have excessive problems with room interaction.

Can others members tell us more about these tubes?

• 3 weeks later...