Here goes....the best HDTV?

stream

I can tell I'm going to have to buy the unit based upon what I'll be using it the most for. Here are the main things it will be used for, in order of importance:

1. DVD's - DVI signal

2. HDTV (if we can get it in our apartment in St. Louis)

3. Regular TV if we can't get HDTV - either cable or satellite

4. Nintendo 64 and super Nintendo :)

5. VCR, plain old composite video signal

We definitely want the HDTV capability, even if our apartment next year doesn't have it, as I'm sure we'll get HDTV eventually. Especially with the mandate that all cable be HD by like 2006 (2007?), we want to be ready for it.

As for audio, I'm running a Cayin TA-30 tube amp into RF-7's, which I love. So, I just need analog stereo outputs, which I'm sure all units have. Although, Spdif or optical/digital outputs would be nice to have in the future in case we ever decide to buy a receiver and get a surround setup.

Thanks again for the help.

-Jesse

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go here and do lots of reading... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php

If picture brightness is one of your main concerns, then the current DLP and LCD sets can definitely meet your needs, with no burn-in issues. Picture quality is subjective... there are lots of great sets out there, with an opinion to go along with each one. You should pick what looks best to you.

1. DVD's - DVI signal

2. HDTV (if we can get it in our apartment in St. Louis)

3. Regular TV if we can't get HDTV - either cable or satellite

4. Nintendo 64 and super Nintendo :)

5. VCR, plain old composite video signal

Humm Samsung....DLP HLN models...

1. yes

2. yes

3. no burn in issues...Meaning unlike almost every other HDTV you have to watch it in the stretched mode or cause a burn in the picture and ruin your TV... Often a fact most dealers downplay on mitsubishi HDTV's look for the tag only like 15% can be in regular mode.... My neighbor hates his 6 grand purchase runied in about 3 months...Regular tv is fine and can play on it too.

4, again playing games on this TV is fine...or your computer too.

5. with frudja (sp) and "D-nile" processing, even your older videos will look great too.

Sounds like a winner.

I can hardly believe my eyes reading all these posts proping up DLP's as a " decent " option !!!

DLP has come a long way " but " has a longer way to go in order to come remotly close to a 7" used CRT !!!!

I do realize that alot of guy's are " newbies " to front projection , mainly due to the recent decrease in price, now your seeing LCD & DLP entry level at a point thats almost affordable to the masses.

I've been into CRT projectors for 15 years now, believe you me a 9" CRT is still the

"king " of the hill, no DLP of any price point will come even remotly close to the black levels and resolution of a CRT . ( crt's don't have a " fixed " resolution )

LCD and DLP projectors belong in board rooms and office towers doing data and graphic presentation. Exactly what they were designed for !! DLP's are takeing over this market from CRT's due to the higher light level and most importantly there ease of setup and mobility .

HOMETHEATER deserves nothing less than a CRT . Even a used $1500.00 runco 852 with a built in line doubler will kick the sh@t out of a $12,000.00 new DLP . !!!

END OF STORY . do your homework !!!

half of the 40" xbr tube tv's i have seen(and that's ALOT of them) have red/blue convergence problems at the left and right of the screen, and 'shading' by the speakers.

imo-the BEST picture is on the kv34xbr wide-tube tv's.

having said that, i really like the sony lcd grand vvegas.

avman.

Dale...You said..

I've been into CRT projectors for 15 years now, believe you me a 9" CRT is still the

"king " of the hill, no DLP of any price point will come even remotly close to the black levels and resolution of a CRT . ( crt's don't have a " fixed " resolution )

================================================================

Hmm so a 9 inch TV is better than say a 50-55 inch for home theater...

I know what your trying to say. I think no one in their right mind would think even a "broadcast quality" 9 Inch "perfect" 100K dollar CRT is anything like a 95-99% (as good as IMO) fantastic Large screen HDTV DLP in a home theater situation under any circumstances. Especially in a big room where everyone is going to enjoy it.

As for the price, like I said, they are dropping. A good 50- 55 inch even availiable at Sears is close to your ballpark. Hey it is not for everyone. Some people do not even like Klipschorn speakers too. (If you have the space and $$$ shame on them!!) LOL

Pioneer has stopped making RPTV's to concentrate more on Plasma's. I have an older PRO-99 Elite and it's a great RPTV.

Their new 5040 plasma (504CMX- commercial version same plasma display but you need to supply the input card) has a 3:3 pulldown that eliminates artifacts in fast moving scenes. The've adopted the 72hz internals where everyone else is still using 60hz.

Go take a look at one and have them pop in "the Matrix". you may be impressed. Fujitsu is alos a great plasma but never any discounts.

Good luck

INDY : 9" CRT is the size of the projector tube .

there are 7" 8" 9" and even larger CRT TUBES . There are 3 in each projector 1 green 1 blue and 1 red . The price of the projector goes up with the size of the CRT . Some 9 inchers are in the 100k range !!!!!!!!!

a DLP has 1 lamp that reflects onto micro plates and thru a colour wheel.

CRT tubes are basicly the same as the picture tube in your normal television.

HAWK92 : The best guy around is curt palme as far as crt known how.

I strongly suggest reading his CRT primer , it will tell you eveything you will ever need to know about CRT's who makes them what ones to buy and what ones to stay clear of .

http://www.monroe.net/~alyle/palmeCRt.pdf

Any problems with that link just let me know and i'll send it to you another way .

Curt sells on E-bay under the handle AUDIOVIDEOTECHNICIAN he always has sets on e-bay and will offer lifetime support. Curt is a projector technician.

Also used and warrentied sets can be bought from eisemann-theater and hammerhead.com

The olny thing you " must " have for CRT is a perfectly dark room in order to get the perfect picture. See thats where DLP "s come into play , they are brighter and can be seen in a room with more light.

PS: If you ever get a chance to see a 8 or 9 inch CRT projector on a 10 or 12 foot screen you will sh@t your pants . lol

Way better picture than a theater.

I knew that, I was having fun with you.(9" tv) But were also talking about projection HDTV's and not ceiling mounted units or I thought we were.

My Parents have a 1992 Sony in its day a very high end CRT. Up till maybe a year or so ago I would agree with you. I am sure that same unit with a line doubler or some other "engineering" tricks might bring it into 2004. Maybe not high def....but very very nice!

From 2500-3k you can find a 50-55 inch at Sears Samsung DLP HDTV which was what he was looking for in this post under his criteria is all.

Btw please don't send your dogs after me... They look like they could handle anyone you don't like..LOL.

Brap-

Say it isn't so...I was looking at Pioneer as one of my RPTV choices. Really like the PQ on the Elite series. Oh well.

Dale-

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I couldn't get the PDF to load. Feel free to send it to my home email addy. I will be very interested in all the details and will check out his eBay store. My HT room will be dark, as it is in the basement and will be in an area without windows. Good to know that CRT would work out fine there. From what I have read, CRTs will give the best black output, though DLP is getting close. I was thinking about LCOS for a RPTV, but I may not have enough room to get a good sized set down the stairs and around corners.

Are there places to get used screens as well? My HT, once finished, should be about 12.5' by 17-18', with 8' ceiling. One of the local HT installation showrooms said I should be able to get a 90-100" screen, which would be pretty cool. Would a good used Runco work out in this situation? Would you mount on the ceiling or the floor? Is the 852 a 7" CRT?

The dogs would'nt hurt a fly , unless it landed on my kids . There job is looking after our 2 kids when there outside. ( we live in the country )

The olny real reason i'm mentioning CRT's right now is there price point, Used surplus projectors are popping up from $1500.00 to $4000.00. These are projectors that were selling for 14k to 40k olny a few short years ago.

DLP's and LCD's are going into board rooms and office towers like theres no tomorrow. They are small compact light weight easy to set up and relitivly cheap. So the older heavy big bulky CRT's are being recon'ed and sold at a real steal .

The " scan rate " is high enough for HDTV

Right now curt has a 852 runco HDTV with a built in line doubler on e-bay for $1700.00 !!!!!! this is a 7" crt machine. Now buy yourself a 7 or 8 foot screen and away you go , instant home theater .

That 852 sold for $14995.00 usa bucks back in the mid 90's .

I like the idea of getting a great CRT projector for a "steal." It would make the renovation of the HT a little easier on the wallet. Glad the scan rate is good for HDTV, as I'd like to be able to have full access to HDTV. Checked out eBay and he's got some pretty good looking units up there. Shot him an email to get the FAQ and ask some more questions.

JHawk--

Do you have Tweeter B&M's down by you? Tehy may still have some left. Pioneer stopped making them, but stores still have them. Maybe you could nego a great deal somewhere.

Regarding PQ, I've had my Pro99 for 5 years, moved it twice and only had to adjust it once! Great PQ and even though HDTV is super, Mama still asks me why I need to get a Plasma when our RPT is still so good. To be honest, I have a hard time not agreeing with her at times................

Brap,

Pioneer still makes RPTV's, but they are concentrating there advertising on plasma. The HD730 is now the HD730i, 530, 530i, ect. BTW they are THE BEST for my money!!!

They also are giving 1000 rebate on the 730, and 500 on the 530. I reccomend getting the 530 about 2900-500=2400 from tweeter.