Need Advice for Starting Purchase

smartling

Hi Guys - brand new guy to the forum.

Looking for your best advice with a starting purchase with a few parts. I have recently purchased the RSW-10 and was looking for a best match for the additional pieces. I was considering the RF-5's but was wondering if their would be a match issue or power issue.

Also I am clueless in the reciever area and have been told that I should not spend any more then $500 on a reciever to get what I need. Would this be true?

Any recommendations on a nice reciever?

Thanks for all of your help!

Bill in Tampa

The 5's would be nice,any of the ref.line should work well w/rsw's.For $500 you get some choices of decent avr's.The HK and Denon avr's do well w/Klipsch imo.A good refurb/used 3802 for your price would be sweet,HK 525 would also be very good.You can get by easily with less power than these if you want new,they're just alot of avr for $500 range.

----------------

On 2/10/2004 3:25:55 PM smartling wrote:

Hi Guys - brand new guy to the forum.

Looking for your best advice with a starting purchase with a few parts. I have recently purchased the RSW-10 and was looking for a best match for the additional pieces. I was considering the RF-5's but was wondering if their would be a match issue or power issue.

Also I am clueless in the reciever area and have been told that I should not spend any more then $500 on a reciever to get what I need. Would this be true?

Any recommendations on a nice reciever?

Thanks for all of your help!

Bill in Tampa

----------------

Nothing wrong with going 5's as a start point. If you can, go a little further, however. The speakers will be around a long time after the receiver has been changed out for something more sophisticated, refined, and generally better sounding.

Yes, you can jump into an HT receiver for $500 and walk away with something decent. There are a mountain of them out there in that range - so I'll just tell you what to avoid rather than what to choose.

Sony STR-DE995. It's a piece of overrated junk. Ironically, it's the entry level Sony discrete powered amp, but standing next to its ES brethren, it looks like a boombox without the speakers.

Kenwood 7070. Again, a hopelessly overrated piece of crap. THX certified - whoopie! The DSP is Motorola garbage, the phono stage is trash, the amp itself is cheap looking, and the power ratings are exaggerated. What more is there to be said?

Make a smart choice using your own ears - and you'll find something great for that price in a Yamaha, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Denon, or many other great brands.

Of course, gear lust will bite you in a couple years and you'll upgrade, but at least you'll enjoy what you're hearing until then! 9.gif

----------------

On 2/10/2004 9:47:55 PM smartling wrote:

Also Fish you had mentioned that you could get by with alot less power- is there anything that you recommend - say for $300? Am I going too low on that price for the performance I want with these speakers?

----------------

Yes, you are. $300 doesn't buy much in the way of an amplifier. What you need to realise is that power output doesn't really change that much until you get into the multi-thousand dollar range. Just about every amp under a grand puts out between 80 and 100 WPC (actually, I think there are a couple of HK's that only do 50, but that's the exception)

What you start getting into in the sub-$400 range is integrated op amp circuits instead of discrete transistor power, really cheesy low-grade DSP, poor DAC circuitry, limited digital input options (most below $400 have 2-3 digital inputs, no more) and a host of other problems that will really just ruin your enjoyment of those speakers. Remember, we're not just talking about power output when we talk about an integrated receiver - there are tons of other issues.

Believe me, friend. I used to sell these shoddy low-dollar receivers at Best Buy, and it took every fiber of my being to follow the company policy and not let loose about how crappy they were. Don't make a $300 mistake that you'll have to eat later (those receiver don't do very well on the used market, either) when you can spend a couple of bills more and get something you can enjoy for a lot longer.

Welcome to the forum!!!

I have a Yamaha RX-V2095, I got it second hand off my father, and IMO it is a great receiver. You should be able to get one less than $500 on ebay. Very powerful receiver 5.1 surround and I think it is 100x5 plus two discrete front surrounds (50x2 I think). So it can handle 7 speakers total plus a subwoofer (but it is not a 7.1 receiver). IMO, it is a great receiver for the price, and I am sure I will hold on to it for a number of year. Take a look for the price it is a good deal, unless you want to buy new. Then I would look to pay around $500 for a nice Denon or H/K.

Ah - Jangajee brings up a point I always forget - it is possible to buy used and get some really nice kit for that price.

Of course, what you lose in used gear is features - and as fast as the technology is changing, a two year old model receiver that sold for $800 new has about the same featureset as one that you can buy off the shelf new for $500. Keep that in mind as you look.