Did I Do good RF-3 II's

mtbiker

I started my cherade last week looking for new speakers. Last week I thought I wanted the Synergy SP-1's ($179 each), last night I heard the SF-15's($279 each) and ended up taking them home. Today I found a set of RF-3 II's for $250 each, RS-3 II's for $279 per pair, and RC-25 for $250. I pick them up tonight. Am I headed in the right direction. Are the RS-3 II's a much better speaker than the other's I've mentioned?

Denon AVR3300

Mitsubishi 65611

Yamaha C920 DCDI DVD player

D-VHS VCR 30K

Zenith SAT520 DirecTV HDTV

Replay TV showstopper 60 hr

Present speakers

Mains: Boston A60's (had these babies since high school)

Surrounds: JBL bookshelfs 2 for $100 I think I paid

Sub: 10" Difinitive Technology

Center: Klipsch C-1 Synergy

I got the RF-3 II's from Ultimate electronics. I got the last pair in the Denver metro area. So far (about an hour), I will say that the 3 II's do everything better than the RF-15's except for voices. I demoed "lost in Spaces's opening explosions, and T3. Wow are these things impactful and smooth. I'm very happy so far.

Nice score on those RF3IIs & I thought getting mine for $600 for the pair was great! The RS3IIs & RC-25 are a good match for the RF3IIs ... if/when you go for a sub you'll probly wanna look @ the RW-10 or RW-12 or RSW-12 depending on your room size, listening tastes & budget. The RF3IIs will loosen up very nicely, as another person noted, with each listening. I let mine run for ~36 hours at normal music level & *personally* they sounded better to me than out of the box. BTW, r u running 12ga wire with gold plugs? I prefer banana pins. YMMV.

peace, mitch

The RF-3II's are an excellent buy, and it looks like you picked up a pair at a sweet price. Not only are the extremely efficient, the bass/midrange response is good (even when set to small) and the horns are not harsh at all. They are magnetically shielded so you can place them close to the TV if needed. Overall I have been extremely happy with mine over the past couple of years. 3.gif

Wow, if I had known there was a set of those speakers in the Denver area for that cheap... I probably would have gotten another set!

I got my Rx-3II system at floormodel/closeout prices at the Ft Collins SoundTrack (Ultimate Electronics).

I got the mains for $300 a piece (they are actually RF-3's, I got them when the RF-3II's came out). I just this last summer purchased the rest of the package from the Ft. COllins SoundTrack at closeout prices when the new RF-35 line came out. My surrounds were about that price but my center was a little more expensive I think. The mains were floor models and the rest were new.

Anyways, I have been extreamly happy with these speakers so far. I was a college student when I bought these so they pretty much maxed out my budget, but I am very happy with them. The RF-5's are way to expensive in my mind for what you get with them (the biggest difference with them is a larger horn... that is it). The woofers are the exact same model as the RF-3II and the tweeter is the same size (1"). If a person is going to pay that much more money over the RF-3's, the RF-7 would be a better price/performance value. Anyways, I think you made the right choice getting those instead of the synergy. Enjoy them!

-Adam

• Like 1

----------------

On 2/12/2004 11:18:15 PM Dome wrote:

Wow, if I had known there was a set of those speakers in the Denver area for that cheap... I probably would have gotten another set!

I got my Rx-3II system at floormodel/closeout prices at the Ft Collins SoundTrack (Ultimate Electronics).

I got the mains for $300 a piece (they are actually RF-3's, I got them when the RF-3II's came out). I just this last summer purchased the rest of the package from the Ft. COllins SoundTrack at closeout prices when the new RF-35 line came out. My surrounds were about that price but my center was a little more expensive I think. The mains were floor models and the rest were new.

Anyways, I have been extreamly happy with these speakers so far. I was a college student when I bought these so they pretty much maxed out my budget, but I am very happy with them. The RF-5's are way to expensive in my mind for what you get with them (the biggest difference with them is a larger horn... that is it). The woofers are the exact same model as the RF-3II and the tweeter is the same size (1"). If a person is going to pay that much more money over the RF-3's, the RF-7 would be a better price/performance value. Anyways, I think you made the right choice getting those instead of the synergy. Enjoy them!

-Adam

----------------

Dome your statement about the RF-5's isn't true...there is more to them then a larger horn. They use a different crossover, a different horn DRIVER, different cabinet, and to top it off they come in real wood veneer vs. vinyl. I know several who have upgraded to RF-5's from RF-3's and said that the difference was night and day. I have heard them both side by side and have to aggree. I personally own RF-5's which I run with an RSW-15 sub and Mcintosh amplification and it sounds great. 11.gif

----------------

On 2/13/2004 9:51:54 PM TIbor wrote:

6 avenue electronics authorzed dealer. rf3II 499 rc3II 199.

Guess there are gettting rid of old stock

I know there are about six locations in nj and some in ny, dont know about elsewher

----------------

Dang! Anybody in the NJ area want to pick up a couple and send 'em to me? 6ave.com says they can't ship them. 3.gif

On a side note, are the RF-5's horns as harsh sounding as the RF-7's?

----------------

On 2/14/2004 8:37:13 AM jephdood wrote:

Dang! Anybody in the NJ area want to pick up a couple and send 'em to me? 6ave.com says they can't ship them.
3.gif

----------------

Lol I second for asking someone to send me the RF3II

Is it RF7s really harsh??? I don't think so, I'd say it depends on amp more than that

----------------

On 2/14/2004 8:47:38 AM ccsakura wrote:

Lol I second for asking someone to send me the RF3II

Is it RF7s really harsh??? I don't think so, I'd say it depends on amp more than that

----------------

I've got a Denon 3803, which is said to mate very well to Klipsch. When I listened to the RF7s at the store they were running on a Yamaha receiver and they sounded pretty harsh to me.. MUCH more so than my trusty old KG 3.2's. I know going in that the reference speaks are "brighter" in general because of their large horn compression drivers.. which is good (to a point) in my opinion since in my case they're going to mainly be used for HT. But, on the other hand, I don't want to have to stop a movie mid way because my ears are bleeding.

Did I maybe run into a salesman looking to push a different pair of speakers (seemed very intent on selling me Monitor Audio gold series) or maybe Yamaha wasn't the best match for them?

Anyway, it's either RF3-II's (if I can find a pair somewhere-- already have an RC3 II) or a set of RF5's. I don't mind spending a little more to get something good. It's worth it to me. Heck, I've had my 3.2's for more than 10 years and they're still going strong and sound as good as ever.

----------------

On 2/14/2004 9:24:30 AM jephdood wrote:

I've got a Denon 3803, which is said to mate very well to Klipsch. When I listened to the RF7s at the store they were running on a Yamaha receiver and they sounded pretty harsh to me.. MUCH more so than my trusty old KG 3.2's. I know going in that the reference speaks are "brighter" in general because of their large horn compression drivers.. which is good (to a point) in my opinion since in my case they're going to mainly be used for HT. But, on the other hand, I don't want to have to stop a movie mid way because my ears are bleeding.

Did I maybe run into a salesman looking to push a different pair of speakers (seemed very intent on selling me Monitor Audio gold series) or maybe Yamaha wasn't the best match for them?

Anyway, it's either RF3-II's (if I can find a pair somewhere-- already have an RC3 II) or a set of RF5's. I don't mind spending a little more to get something good. It's worth it to me. Heck, I've had my 3.2's for more than 10 years and they're still going strong and sound as good as ever.

----------------

Some folks mentioned about the Yammy recievers are really bright, that's why it's not a majority here and the recievers comments lean towards Denon or H/K alot(H/K's receivers give really warm sound, great for classical musics in my mind. But a little too warm for me, I still have my rock/pop musics/action movies). There's few of them are happy with their Yammy recievers, but not much 2.gif .

----------------

On 2/14/2004 8:37:13 AM jephdood wrote:

----------------

RF-7s sounding harsh??!!??. Not to my ears, at least not through my Denon AVR-3802, and especially not through my B&K Reference 200.7 amp! I've listened to both the RF-7s and RF-5s through both of those pieces of equipment, and I find them to sound extremely clear and detailed, not harsh at all. Through the B&K Reference 200.7, I found them to sound very smooth and pleasing, with an incredible amount of detail and clarity. Not harsh, nor fatiquing at all.

I think it is that Yamaha that you indicated you heard them through that is making them sound harsh.

The latest update. I found the RC-3 II on ebay for $200 brand new. The RC-25 was getting drowned out by the other speakers. After a week of ownership. All I can say is wow does this setup sound great. I spent all day sunday mounting the rear channel's and running the wires through the basement. I can't believe that even regular TV sounds better. I've put in scenes from movies that I've watched 100 times, and I'm hearing details I've never heard before. Even at low volumes these things rock. I'm pissed that it took me this long to upgrade. Very happy. Hopefully the 30 pound center channel won't damage the top of my TV. Thank you everyone for your help.

Mitsubishi WS656111

Klipsch Rx-3 II speakers

Denon AVR-3300

JVC 30K DVHS

Yamaha C920 DCDI DVD-A DVD player

9.gif

----------------

On 2/17/2004 11:51:13 PM mtbiker wrote:

The latest update. I found the RC-3 II on ebay for $200 brand new. The RC-25 was getting drowned out by the other speakers. After a week of ownership. All I can say is wow does this setup sound great. I spent all day sunday mounting the rear channel's and running the wires through the basement. I can't believe that even regular TV sounds better. I've put in scenes from movies that I've watched 100 times, and I'm hearing details I've never heard before. Even at low volumes these things rock. I'm pissed that it took me this long to upgrade. Very happy. Hopefully the 30 pound center channel won't damage the top of my TV. Thank you everyone for your help.

Mitsubishi WS656111

Klipsch Rx-3 II speakers

Denon AVR-3300

JVC 30K DVHS

Yamaha C920 DCDI DVD-A DVD player

9.gif

----------------

Grats and enjoy that, I just keep turning it on when I was home most of the time(even I was doing my assignments 9.gif )