I got the Thorens spinning today (WOW!)

BigBusa

I finally got my TT running today! It's a Thorens td 126 mk3 w/series 3 SME 3009 arm and a shure v15v-mr cart w/new VN5MR stylus.

I bought it locally a couple months ago for almost nothing. 3.gif The stylus had no cantilever or tip so the TT sat for a while. Shure sent me a new stylus under their "stylus replacement program" for $50!

I just set it up today. WOW!

I'm listening to steely dan "aja" on mfsl through my klipschorns.

Absolutely fantastic! 6.gif

This setup rivals any source I have ever heard ...including CD.

15.jpg

Allan, you'd be proud ...I'm listening to jonah jones "muted jazz" right now. 3.gif

If you wouldn't mind I'd like a couple recommendations of jazz LPs that I could play during a party. Something everyone would like. I know that's a bit vague ...are there 2 or 3 staples to any jazz LP collection? I have the maxell jazz sampler already.

thanks

----------------

On 2/11/2004 7:06:00 PM Allan Songer wrote:

The Big Three:

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"

Dave Brubeck "Time Out"

Chet Baker "Chet Baker Sings"

----------------

Can't argue there.

2 more:

Sonny Clark, Cool Struttin'

Cannonball Adderly, Something Else

In case you decide you need 5.2.gif

BB,

Playing records at a party? Dump that demanding, single-play Thorens and get a record changer! Stack a few LPs and forget about it. You can still find a large selection of the better RCs (RCA, Motorola, Sears and Roebuck, JC Penney) at your neighborhood thrift stores (which coincidentally sell records as well!). Most come with their own amp and speakers and if you're lucky, you may score one with a radio. Just spit on the needle to get the dusk off, fire it up and you're off and running.

Have fun and you're welcome 9.gif -Bryan

----------------

On 2/13/2004 8:31:50 AM BigBusa wrote:

guys, how do I know if the lps are mono or stereo?

I don't think I want any mono Lps.

----------------

BB,

That is exactly what I said when I started out in vinyl. Now I have got so many of them I have lost count.

For some really weird reason a lot of these old mono's have sonics to die for - often better than their stereo equivalents.

Best to just pick your music on the basis of its appeal to you and not to worry too much about the label, number fo channels etc.

How bout some Ornette or Sun Ra? That'll get the party started.

I remember at what we deemed the end of our parties in college , we would put on Revolution #9 obnoxiously loud, on repeat. Place cleared out in minutes every time. We'd actually pack enough people in that dump that the car jack and railroad tie holding up the living floor would sway a bit. It was unreal to watch a bunch of college kids jamming out to our approximations of live jazz. The dilettantes in town actually referred to our house as (dig this!) The Blue Note. I'm cringing with shame as I type all this, but it makes me chuckle. You know, every time we jammed on Mr. PC, it hended up degenerating into the Spiderman theme song, with our piano player doing some insane half-shouted rendition. I guess a c minor blues always got him going. Am I digressing?

BB,

I completely agree with Max on mono records. I either avoided or ignored them until I picked up a few without realizing and gave them a spin. At first, I noted the image only as non-stereo, then the players became distinct and a soundstage "popped" into focus. Kinda like those "Magic Eye" posters - it seems odd until you adjust and then its, well... magical. I still have no idea how a soundstage is produced through a mono signal and it may all be in my head but its facsinating none the less and now I'm captivated by the image. Besides, if the recording was originally done in mono, the mono version sounds much better to me. I now look for mono recordings and while most of the LPs I find are jazz, I've also come across a few artists like the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix whose mono recordings are outstanding (IMO).

Have Fun -Bryan

What are you guys talking about?? Sound stage is better in mono?? WTH With a mono signal going through a stereo system you get identical information to both channels whitch puts all instruments dead center infront of you with no apparent stage placement at all??

AAAEEEEEE........(sounds of engineer running away in disbelief!!)

It is possible, if there were three or less microphones used to record a live setup. A mono recording played on a single Khorn would present a great soundstage. With two speakers and the listener sitting in the center sweet spot, you have two identical mono images playing. A well recorded mono record would correctly replicate the placement of the unamplified band, both in depth(due to slight delay of signals reaching the mic) and lateral(again the delay.)

Each speaker would put out the identical left/center/right, and front/rear spatial arrangement, which would be summed when played and result in a L, R+C, R soundstage combination and varied permutations for the lateral. The depth would be a similar nodal, summed signal. A good recording in mono with distinct soundstage will be fairly replicated with a good set of Klipsch speakers that are well placed. I hear it every time I play some Beatles Parlaphone CDs.

If the album is poorly recorded, or the mics were not well placed - good luck!