Are Klipsch replacement drivers available?

Treasure_Diver

----------------

On 2/15/2004 8:06:11 PM Malcolm wrote:

Klipsch sells replacement components for their speakers. But if you want to fix up your Advent speakers, there are probably better choices. There are sites that sell NOS Advent parts and replacement parts for Advent speakers.

----------------

Well Malcolm, it's seems you're right. Klipsch is only interested in selling complete packages. You must first show your allegiance to Klipsch before you earn the right to buy parts. I guess i'm no longer interested in Klipsch. Thanks for your help. I'm off to find another quality brand whose business policy might promote the sale of any part as long as it's at thier asking price. I kinda feel like i'm being told i'm not good enough for Klipsch. 1.gif

It is virtually impossible for a manufacturer like Klipsch to stock parts for other brands of speakers. It would be like asking Ford to stock parts for Chevy. If a Chevy pulls into a Ford dealer, the dealer buys parts from NAPA or Chevy.

I am quite pleased that Klipsch stocks parts for very old Klipsch speakers. They support their own products, and that is as it should be.

Bill

TD is seeking, I believe, to buy Klipsch drivers to put in his Advent speakers. I agree there are probably better sources for replacement drivers, inasmuch as the Klipsch parts department probably is oriented around part numbers (which TD probably does not have) or Klipsch speaker model numbers (which he certainly does not have) in order to supply replacements. I imagine most every "finished product" manufacturer is the same. Imagine calling Chevrolet (using the example above) and asking for a Chevy fuel injector to fit a Ford F150. I, too, find TD's reaction unusual.

However, TD, we would be happy to have you be a member of the Klipsch family, whether you own any or not.

TD, I AM genuinely curious to know what "finished product" manufacturer (a la Paradigm, B&W, Def Tech, or whoever) you find that is able to assist you.

DD

Hi Guys,

Actually, I have a very nice Pecan hardwood set of speaker boxes that I want to maintain. The original Advent drivers are now defunct. I have no desire to replace them with advent drivers. That would be kind of a stupid move since the first 4 went bad. Instead I would like to put some nice drivers into these great sounding hardwood cabinets. Much lake taking the Mopar stereo and speakers out of your vehicle to replace them with something better. I would hardly expect to be able to buy chevy parts from the ford dealer. I am a great craftsman and can adapt any 8" driver to these boxes. The problem I ran into with Klipsch is that they wont sell me drivers unless I am replacing them in a Klipsch box. That would be like Dodge telling me that they won't sell seats to me because I wish to put them in a Ford. It actually a great compliment. But Klipsch doesn't see it that way. Yes, I do have some part numbers. I've done some homework. I made it perfectly clear to the guy that I would like to put Klipsch drivers into my own boxes and he said "sorry". That, to me, is foolish. Just in case this fella misunderstood me, like some here did, i'll try again tomorrow.

Take care.

TD

Try Parts Express. They may have generic drivers for you. Any driver that you install may need a replacement crossover to match its frequency range. Matching drivers to cabinets (and ports) and crossovers is a job for an audio engineer, not most home enthusiasts.

If you want quality sound, you may need to buy new speakers.

Bill

TD,

Try looking here:

http://www.speakersupply.com/Advent.htm

Other possibilities are to replace the surrounds if that is all that is wrong, or have the speakers reconed to meet your needs.

FWIW Klipsch is in the business of selling complete speaker systems. They really have no interest in selling components nowadays. They just make replacement parts available as a service to their customers.

I 2nd the Parts Express idea, as you would be(if Klipsch sold to you)spending a bundle for all the internals, plus the fact that you don't know what the outcome will be. If you like the klipsch sound, you would be much better off buying a new or used pair. I DIY speakers, and would not plop in a box, somewhat expensive Klipsch drivers. In addition, design or use an exsisting cross-over to bring out the best sound.

Now what I would do, is find a another suitable replacement woofer, in terms of TS parameters, for your Advent enclosures. An internet search is sure to provide others findings in a simular situation with older Advents.

I do feel that Klipsch is actually doing you a favor, by not selling you a "square peg for a round hole"2.gif

Good luck with your journey quest of audio utopia 16.gif

I dont see the big deal on using Klispch drivers to replace advent drivers so long as the speaker parameters are close enouth to work. Such as finding a klipsch driver close to the following specs.

PARAMETERS

Re 6.80 <ê >

Fs 32.86

F1 21.75

F2 48.70

Zm 52.31 <ê>

D 162.00

Qms 3.43

Qes 0.51

Qts 0.45

Bl 11.49

L1K 3.01

L10K 1.07

Ms 48.19

Vas 28.87

dBSpl 85.66

Cms 0.49

Ma 48.00

FsMa 23.26

That is the point, you cannot just slap any other 8" woofer in that enclosure unless it was designed to perform in the particular dimensions of it, whether it be a sealed or ported design. Each speaker has unique Thiele/Small parameters so you have to replace the original Advent woofers that are in there with something equivalent or it will sound horrid. A better suggestion and a cost saving one would be to have the original speakers reconed (rebuilt) so they would be like new and perform optimally since that is the enclosure that they were designed to operate it. You can't just take any old speaker and throw it in a box and expect it sound good.