Need info on 7591s

mark1101

I'm looking at LK-72s and 299Ds. They use the harder to come by 7591s. The question is how hard are these to come by, really? How often do they need to be replaced? What substitutes can be used?

I have not replaced any tubes in either of my other amps, everything still going strong.

Final question. How much do they cost relative to the 7189 / EL84s ?

The damn 222Ds (which I would REALLY like) are going for MUCH more money.

Just looking for a little more power, love the Scotts, and see some potential candidates out there.

Thanks for the info.

I paid $209 shipped for a quad set of matched NOS Sylvania 7591A output tubes from www.audiotubes.com . You can go the Elektro Harmonix 7591A route which are current production tubes for $80 for a quad matched set and honestly to my ears, the EH and NOS Sylvania sound about the same to me to be quite honest. I was expecting a night and day diffrence and there isnt.

The NOS 7591 tubes are not hard to get just expensive. Some people say they sound better I say if they do you have bionic ears 2.gif The EH 7591 are a tight fit in the LK72/299C but fit great in the LK72B/299D. In either amp a stock case will not fit with EH 7591 tubes if that matters to you.

Craig

Perfect info guys. This is about what I expected. If I have to incur an $80.00 bill every couple of years, no problem. I would bet the things probably last many many years anyhow, as my amps came with some original tubes.

Well, I think I know what my next upgrade is going to be. More of the same.

Thanks

By the way, I do not use the Scott enclosures. I have my amps set up in semi-protected racks, and instead I made dust covers for them. I just take off the dust covers when I turn them on, and use them fully exposed. So, the fit shouldn't matter. I assume tight fit meant by height.

Holy Toledo, those are NICE cabinets. I just checked them out. If I was smart I would be trying to have prettier equipment. I am more for the GO than the SHOW right now. But I smell a possible WAF in the future which could cause banishment to the basement for sure. She has no idea about audio equipment. But if it was pretty......Nah. On second thought, I need a place I can spill a little homebrew now and then. Basements can be nice, no?

Enough said for now.

Thanks for all the info, and the fit and cabinet comments.