turn table isolators

spacelord2002

I just got out my old turn table and vinyl. Lots of great tunes there to just be sitting collecting dust. I made a nice heavy table to sit the player on but get bumps from the slightest motions. Does anyone know of a way to isolate it from being so touchy? I have all the recommended settings from the factory dialed in already according to the spec sheet supplied with the cartridge.

Try searching on "Feedback" -- There was a good thread started last year by Fini, but now I can only find his more recent "KD-500/Black Widow/ShureV15 feedback update". Others (and I) have solved it with a wall-mounted stand such as those made by Target. One person I know solved it with a Townshend air-bladder "sink" underneath. These, and similar platforms are made by other companies, are more expensive than the other approaches, though he got his used.

----------------

On 2/19/2004 3:06:04 PM larryclare wrote:

Try searching on "Feedback" -- There was a good thread started last year by Fini, but now I can only find his more recent "KD-500/Black Widow/ShureV15 feedback update". Others (and I) have solved it with a wall-mounted stand such as those made by Target. One person I know solved it with a Townshend air-bladder "sink" underneath. These, and similar platforms are made by other companies, are more expensive than the other approaches, though he got his used.

----------------

I'm the one who got the used Townshend sink for $125. It made a world of difference, not just for skipping issues. Isolating the TT has other sonic benefits. I think they still have some if you decide to go that route. I'd read through a few threads before spending the money though. Let me know if want any further info on the sink.

There is validity to the more mass the better aspect for TT support. However, the greater mass, also can respond to lower frequencies because the resonant frequency of the mass heavy support will probably also be lower & therefore be 'excited' by lower frequencies. To get around this, ideally, you need to distribute the mass into different sized smaller mass & isolate them. And the TT should not be coupled to that mass.

My approach was to use solid concrete patio blocks (2x6x12) bound together in different size groups (2, 3, 4, etc.) with silicone caulking. I would use these as ballast to weight the TT rack, about 300LBS. Each block was floated on ½ closed cell foam. The shelf the TT sits on is NOT weighted. It remains light & is NOT secured to the equipment rack. This breaks the vibration/resonance chain.

Also, if your floors are not stiff and stable theres not much that will help.

If you want, you might re-post in the 2-channel forum, where more vinylphiles hang out. I think someone ginned up an isolation platform by cutting two tennis balls in half and putting the halves up-side down under a board or platform for the TT. It would be best to get it from them, however.