need a new computer

iwillwalk

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand apple....

very avid computer user but I can't stand apple.... PLEASE READ ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apple is much better since they started using linux.... granted...

I honestly think linux is a much better system compared to windows... since apple is based on linux. I can't deny I think apple is a very secure and great system.

Problem I have with a Apple PC, is why not just go linux.... its free....

Secondly, why go Apple when all you get is less than one tenth the products that appear on a windows machine.... Apple's problems are not with its operating system or its hardware... it is with its software.......

I had tried using serveral macs in school....... the only answer came out is they keep poping one message of not enough memory. Gee I open a single pdf file or power point presentation that gave me such not enough memory, how much is enough for 500k files?

I'd stay with PC......... even you don't pick windows there's still more choices like linux. The hardware just much easier to be bought and cheaper

Unless one is in a very specialized profession requiring every possible software program to do his/her job, or simply a gamer who requires every single title to be playable, there is no software that PC has that Mac doesn't have; doesn't have the equivalent of; and in some cases, doesn't have something better. That is an argument made by many that stems from the days when Mac first came out in the mid-80's. It's an argument that barely holds any credibility anymore.

For example, for any sound editors out there, they live and die by Digidesign's Protools, which run on Macs. Being a former film student myself, I prefer AVID over the Mac-only Final Cut Pro, although AVID runs better on G5's architechture than it does on a fully loaded PC counterpart, say, a dual Xeon based workstation. Even the most demanding games like Dungeon Seige, Everquest, Unreal Tournament, or Quake run at neck-and-neck speeds between Macs and PC's btoh equipped with a Geforce4 or Radeon 9800 3D card.

Mac's are generally more user friendly, which people (as well as myself not too many years ago) translated as "computers for dummies." But it's not so. The OS comes presinstalled with the most up-to-date drivers for almost all peripheral devices, making it truly "play and play." Their help menu is as intuitive as it is informative. Instead of error messages like "err: ini. fatal error 38473932" which are Greek to most of us, the error messages are something that we can actually understand and attempt to fix ourselves. And for those who aren't as savvy, Apple's Phone Support is so friendly and helpful, you'll swear they were your best friends. In essence, Macs aren't for simpletons, they're just made smarter.

As for Sakura's point about "not enough memory," yeah that did seem to be a problem with the older macs running OS9. Not the case anymore though. In fact, most PC's top out at 2-4GB of RAM in terms of expandability, as well as their ability to remain stable with that much RAM. G5's are upgradeable to 8GB of RAM, so you won't be getting the "not enough memory" message anytime soon.

If it means anything, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University owns the G5 supercomputer which is something like the 4th or 5th fastest computer in the world (using 1100 G5's), yet costs only a fraction of what it's besters did.

Oh, and one of the best things about a Mac is that Mac users are a community, kind of like if you drive a lifted truck and pass another dude on the road in one (I heard it applies to Porsche and Corvette drivers as well). For this reason, there are a miniscule amount of viruses that are transmitted between Macs. It's because nobody who uses one bothers to create a virus to infect other fellow followers of The Great Steve Jobs.

BUT THE MAIN POINT IS: Mac's are so much damn sexier than PC's.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 12:31:08 PM nicholtl wrote:

If it means anything, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University owns the G5 supercomputer which is something like the 4th or 5th fastest computer in the world (using 1100 G5's), yet costs only a fraction of what it's besters did.

----------------

MY SCHOOL!!!!!

Sorry :-( Just a little proud of it thats all :-)

GO HOKIES!!

and by the way its the 3rd fastest in the world :-)

Cost them little over 5 million dollars, while the 4th fastest computer in the worls cost over 200 million dollars. If you would like to watch the video http://www.apple.com/hardware/video/virginiatech/

"If all you are looking for is most basic, cheapest, thing going, then perhaps e-Machines."

BAD IDEA !

I service computers for a living and trust me the E-machines are junk. They are unreliable in the extreme.

If you want a solid decently performing computer at a rock bottom price ---build it yourself or purchase it from a reputable independent distributor. As pointed out above it is a pretty easy task these days.

I use one wholesaler who typically takes my order for a PC and tells me the package will be ready in an hour or two. I have yet to arrive and find that the PC has required assembly or contained substandard parts. On several occasions he has upgraded from what was ordered because he didn't have the CPU or hard disk on hand and went to next up the line and at no cost. Suffice it to say he gets the lion's share of my business.

There are plenty of small distributors who give that level of service. You just have to do a little looking.

"

.... since apple is based on linux....Problem I have with a Apple PC, is why not just go linux.... its free...."

1. Apple in no way "uses" or is based on linux. Apple is based on BSD with a mach kernel. There is no linux code in Apple's OS X.

They are very different systems, although both are a "unix" workalike operating system.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 1:46:22 AM Thors1982 wrote:

I can't stand apple....

very avid computer user but I can't stand apple.... PLEASE READ ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly think linux is a much better system compared to windows... since apple is based on linux. I can't deny I think apple is a very secure and great system.

Problem I have with a Apple PC, is why not just go linux.... its free....

Secondly, why go Apple when all you get is less than one tenth the products that appear on a windows machine.... Apple's problems are not with its operating system or its hardware... it is with its software.......

----------------

Apple does not use Linux. Who told you that? They use Darwin, which is an amalgamation of FreeBSD, NeXT, and OSF 2.2 or something like it. Linus has nothing to do with anything in the Mac.

I know you're currently a computer major, so you're young and full of ideas. Let me give you a really useful idea. The machine is a tool. So are hammers and wrenches. There are some things for which a PC is better, and there are other things for which a Mac is better. There are other areas in which neither is clearly superior -- office apps, and basic email/web surfing come to mind. For that matter, those functions are handled just as well by a basic Intel/AMD system with $FREE_OS on it. Finally, you've got your high end apps -- big databases, big file servers, really high end vido (Pixar et al.) Now you're talking commercial UNIX -- Sun, etc.

All this platform and OS evangelism is just that. Mac vs PC, Windows vs Linux, whatever. It's a religious issue. Use the right tool for the thing you want to do. I use $FREE_OS. My wife uses Windows. My mom takes her eleven foot pole and shoves the computer out of her way, but if she HAD to use the Internet for some reason, I'd get her a Mac. It does the best job of making the computer transparent and exposing the usefulness of the programs a person wants to run. I wouldn't get a Mac for someone whose main thing is Quake or Unreal, and I wouldn't put a PC on someone's desk whose main thing is publishing with InDesign and Illustrator and Photoshop.

My US$0.02, FWIW.

Let me throw in my 2 cents.

I have a cousin who has had 3 Gateways, 3 not cause he likes them, but cause they keep screwing up and Gateway has replaced them. He will never get another Gateway. WAY TOO MANY PROBLEMS TO GO INTO DETAIL

I have an Uncle with a Compaq, had 2 actually, 1st one was pretty good, other was crap, always something going wrong, would crash repeatedly, sometimes afterbootup it wouldn't detech either the CD-Rom or the Sound Card. He will never own another Compaq.

My dad currently has a "customized" Compaq. We had nothing but trouble with it right out of the box. Wouldn't boot up straight out of the box, had Power Supply and Hard drive replaced by Compaq, 2 months later the modem went out. Video card died nearly a year later ( every dark image had shadow that went across the screen ). Has a new motherboard, Processor, Video Card, and CD Burner in it, so basically is no longer a compaq. He will never own another Compaq.

I built my own computer, cost me $1300 for parts = shipping a lil over a year ago. Only trouble I have had from it is when I upgraded my vid card and accidentally un-plugged the Hard Drive from the Motherboard, and couldn't get my computer to boot up afterwards, took me 45 min to figure out what I had done. I will forever build my own computer from now on.

I have heard some good thigns about Dell's, and Falcon Northwest Machines. I am not a Apple fan at all, I utterly hate them worse than I do Gateway and Compaq. I believe Alienware built a dual AMD processor maching that smoked a Apple G5 running programs that would run on both a PC and a Mac. Other than this I don't have much more input to add.

"At the foundation of Mac OS X lies an industrial-strength UNIX-based core operating system that delivers unprecedented stability and performance."

that quote is from Apples website... Mac OS X might not be linux... or unix... but they say the same thing about Mandrake and RedHat... Mac OS X is just a cool user interface slapped on Unix.

also....linx = unix = FreeBSD

FreeBSD might as well be Unix. All Free BSD is, is a more stable more updated version of Unix that was developed at Berkley. No they aren't exactly the same but. The commands are the same the CORE of the operating system is the exact same. File structure same.

I mean just go to http://www.bsd.org/

And in no way do I mean anything bad by that, I think combining Unix with Mac is one of the brightest things they could have ever done. I know more people who own macs now than everyone one of them bought it because of the new Unix based OS.

Support your local economy and be supported by your local professionals:

If you can't build it yourself, get one of your friendly neighborhood small computer shops to do it for you.

It'll cost slightly more than a pre-built, but the service is better, the systems are more stable, and you don't get any junk you didn't ask for, like "shopping assistants" and other such crap.

Plus, they'll put whatever OS you want them to on there - Red Hat, SuSe, XP, 2K, BeOS (if you're so inclined...) and support it.

"also....linx = unix = FreeBSD"

Not really. Try developing for all the different flavors of unix, BSD, and linux, then come talk to me. Not only are there technical differences between them, the ideological differences are great. Thats pretty much like saying honda=porsche=volkswagen=renault=geo metro. Yeah, they are all cars, but they really shouln't all be lumped in together with an "they are all exactly the same" quote, just because they have 4 wheels and an internal combustion engine.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 4:31:00 PM skeptic wrote:

"also....linx = unix = FreeBSD"

Not really. Try developing for all the different flavors of unix, BSD, and linux, then come talk to me.

----------------

Actually, I do develop for different flavors of Unix. I have application that I've written that runs flawlessly on HP-UX, Solaris, PowerMAX OS (a very pricy parallel-processing system used for real-time applications), and Linux. Yeah, they all have thier own quirks, but they are more alike than they are different. The code I had to write to account for the differences was very small.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 8:09:42 PM iwillwalk wrote:

is there any companys that sell klipsch with their computers

----------------

There are number of outfits that include the Klipsch ProMedia's with thier systems. I know Alienware and Northwest Falcon does, as well as HP does for thier "Media PCs". I cannot reemember off the top of my head some others. Do a google search.

Roger that, you most likely write good code to start with, and write to be portable. Posix compliant function calls, a good design, not too low level code. Depending on the code you are writing, they can seem more dissimilar than similar ,mostly annoying differences, but they still throw your code for a loop. (A text based proc directory on linux VS a binary system on solaris). I still would argue that anyone who says linux=solaris=irix=*bsd=unix is just off base.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 9:21:12 PM skeptic wrote:

Roger that, you most likely write good code to start with, and write to be portable. Posix compliant function calls, a good design, not too low level code. Depending on the code you are writing, they can seem more dissimilar than similar ,mostly annoying differences, but they still throw your code for a loop. (A text based proc directory on linux VS a binary system on solaris). I still would argue that anyone who says linux=solaris=irix=*bsd=unix is just off base.

----------------

I've been doing this for about 11 years (Longer (a good 20+ years) if I count all the programming I did before I entered the professional market), so I learned a few "tricks of the trade". Yeah, POSIX compliance certainly helps and most of the code, at least stuff that I want to keep portable, is written using the POSIX standards. There are a couple of procedures that I did have to write that would check what system the program was running on and execute the appropriate code.

I do agree that "linux=solaris=irix=HP-UX" is not entirely true, but it is pretty easy to move from one to the other, and if all these system are using a standard interface, from the user's standpoint, that does end up being pretty true. Hell, for that matter, if using a coherent UI, any system will pretty much be the same, be it Linux, Windows, MAC OS, etc. EDIT: That is probably one of the big reasons why a lot of things are going "web-based". Everybody's got a browser and hopefully, they all know how to use it, thus all the talk in the various trade journals that I've read about "web-services".

Once you learn one system, is is very easy to learn the others.

Now, trying to write something that was supposed to work on both VAX/VMS and Windows PCs was another story 14.gif. I am glad that project got canned in the end - what a friggan nightmare that was!

Just like I said...

"No they aren't exactly the same but the commands are the same the CORE of the operating system is the exact same. File structure same."

Windows File structure is totally different and so its even the way it loads applications in general. Windows is also different on the way it handle the readers/writers problem.

But Unix,Linux,BSD, all of those handle it the exact same way. I don't think its coinsidence that those opperating systems all do it the same way unless they were formed from each other.

Let me repeat no they aren't EXACTLY the same, but I still feel that Mac got its core OS from Linux/Unix.

The Core is what makes an OS!!! Its not system calls, or User Interfaces. At least in my book, but I guess Programmers look at things differently :-/