New 2A3 is in the house!

robforst1

Never had the pleasure of listening to Klipsch through the venerable 2A3 or 45 output tubes (I know I'm missin' out), but I did get to hear the EL34s through my Cornwalls, and I was floored by the sonics! Can't wait for my 300B amp to arrive from Hong Kong...then at least I'll know first hand what all the excitement is about concerning Klipsch and SET! Enjoy your new ASL.2.gif

Cut-Throat

I've already accepted that what I like in the 2A3 is most likely stronger in the 45. Am listening to the 2A3s now (Steve Morse material that Chris turned me on to), and I know the 2A3s are loafing .. 45 would do just fine for power.

Actually the "2A3s" are 2.5V TJ meshplate 300Bs which have come to life with the SET Ultrapath, parafeed, and conditioned crossover caps.

So much good stuff and so little time.

Leo

Leo, I am glad these tubes came to life somewhere as in every system I heard them in, from dynamic speakers to horn, they sounded slightly confused and less refined in the mids with a general thick quality that would not go away no matter what the amp or material.

So these beasts came into their own just recently? I hope to try them again along with some vintage Cunningham Monoplates. Are Friends Electric and I are going to have another Amp-o-rama soon to listen to the various 2A3, 777es digital, and whatever else we can get into.

kh

Kelly,

Do you have any idea how many hours were burned on those TJ's 2.5 300B's you listened to?

I've listened to vintage 2A3's of Dan's, and the TJ 300B does have a different sound to it.

Explaining what differences is hard to say.

I like the TJ's in my amp, but I haven't rolled any different output tubes.

Perhaps when I'm more flush in a couple months.

This triode amp has some power, or sounds like it does.

It's comparable to a 15 watt puss-pull.

Mike, dont you have the regular TJ Meshplate 300B and use it in a 300B amp? There is actually suposedly a big difference between this tube run at 300B voltage and the 2.5v in a 2A3 amp. I would consider them different animals. My discussion is in relation to the 2.5v version only. I have never even heard their regular 300B.

kh

These TJ's are a solid plate 2.5 volt 300B.

300B wannabe's!

The only 5 volt 300B I have ever listened to, was the Electro-Harmonix.

My amp uses 2.5 volt filament transformers.

So I guess my amp is pretty much a 2A3 amp, it was biased and put to life with a vintage RCA 2A3.

I had Heidi's twin sister's ex-boyfriend over the other day. He loved the sound.

He asked me if I could crank it up, to see if he could hear distortion.

I turned the passive attenuator to about 3/4ths all the way, the farthest I have pushed it.

I asked him if he was hearing distortion. He say's no.

It wasn't clipping yet from what we could hear.

Clean and loud.

The late night listening at lower levels is what is nice.

It's like the Cornwall's are strapped to your head.

----------------

On 2/20/2004 10:44:31 PM robforst1 wrote:

Wow! The ASL Orchid is awesome. I have it hooked up to the Heresy's now. I think I will try it with the K-Horns tomorrow. It is amazing how much volume and clarity you can get out of 3 watts! PWK was a genius.

----------------

robforst1,

Congrats on joining the 2A3 world.

Klipsch out.

Kevin,

I had an opportunity to spend a few minutes last week listening to a 45 SET amp, and it was SMOOTH. Without hearing it on my Khorns and the rest of my components, I'm not sure how I would compare it with my current system, but I plan to explore it further.

Our 2A3 systems, other than "similar" amps are different with selections of other components and tube wise. I'll send you an email. It will take extended auditioning to determine if a serious move to the 45 is ahead. The builder of the 45 will be contacting me soon to discuss possibly building something for me, or maybe the owner of the amp I listened to will sell his in the future.

Klipsch out.