Just picked up a copy of SuSe Linux.

Griffinator

----------------

On 2/22/2004 1:04:35 AM ccsakura wrote:

Me neither lol........... wait there's one........ DOS
9.gif

----------------

No, that's an IBM product - which happens to be the reason why Bill Gates hounded his programmers to death trying to get them to create a truly standalone Windows product - so he could stop paying IBM a licensing fee for basing their software off the DOS platform. Every version of MS-DOS, no matter how superior to the IBM version, and every version of Windows from 1.0 right on up to ME, cost him money and made IBM money. Now that all Windows systems are on the NT platform, DOS is no longer a required component - they only offer a command-line DOS plugin for convenience's sake, and IBM can no longer claim their fees.

uh, Griffinator...

You've sort of got the Bill Gates / IBM relationship backwards.

In 1980, IBM first approached Bill Gates and Microsoft, to discuss the state of home computers and Microsoft products. Gates gave IBM a few ideas on what would make a great home computer, among them to have Basic written into the ROM chip. Microsoft had already produced several versions of Basic for different computer system beginning with the Altair, so Gates was more than happy to write a version for IBM. As for an operating system (OS) for the new computers, since Microsoft had never written an operating system before, Gates had suggested that IBM investigate an OS called CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers), written by Gary Kildall of Digital Research. Kindall had his Ph.D. in computers and had written the most successful operating system of the time, selling over 600,000 copies of CP/M, his OS set the standard at that time.

IBM tried to contact Kildall for a meeting, executives met with Mrs. Kildall who refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement. IBM soon returned to Bill Gates and gave Microsoft the contract to write the new operating system, one that would eventually wipe Kildall's CP/M out of common use. The "Microsoft Disk Operating System" or MS-DOS was based on QDOS, the "Quick and Dirty Operating System" written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products, for their prototype Intel 8086 based computer. QDOS was based on Gary Kildall's CP/M, Paterson had bought a =CP/M manual and used it as the basis to write his operating system in six weeks, QDOS was different enough from CP/M to be considered legal. Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS for $50,000, keeping the IBM deal a secret from Seattle Computer Products. Gates then talked IBM into letting Microsoft retain the rights to market MS DOS separate from the IBM PC project, IBM believing that the majority of the money to be made was in the hardware. Gates proceeded to make a fortune from the licensing of MS-DOS.

In 1981, Tim Paterson quit Seattle Computer Products and found employment at Microsoft.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 10:22:06 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

uh, Griffinator...

You've sort of got the Bill Gates / IBM relationship backwards.

In 1980, IBM first approached Bill Gates and Microsoft, to discuss the state of home computers and Microsoft products. Gates gave IBM a few ideas on what would make a great home computer, among them to have Basic written into the ROM chip. Microsoft had already produced several versions of Basic for different computer system beginning with the Altair, so Gates was more than happy to write a version for IBM. As for an operating system (OS) for the new computers, since Microsoft had never written an operating system before, Gates had suggested that IBM investigate an OS called CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers), written by Gary Kildall of Digital Research. Kindall had his Ph.D. in computers and had written the most successful operating system of the time, selling over 600,000 copies of CP/M, his OS set the standard at that time.

IBM tried to contact Kildall for a meeting, executives met with Mrs. Kildall who refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement. IBM soon returned to Bill Gates and gave Microsoft the contract to write the new operating system, one that would eventually wipe Kildall's CP/M out of common use. The "Microsoft Disk Operating System" or MS-DOS was based on QDOS, the "Quick and Dirty Operating System" written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products, for their prototype Intel 8086 based computer. QDOS was based on Gary Kildall's CP/M, Paterson had bought a =CP/M manual and used it as the basis to write his operating system in six weeks, QDOS was different enough from CP/M to be considered legal. Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS for $50,000, keeping the IBM deal a secret from Seattle Computer Products. Gates then talked IBM into letting Microsoft retain the rights to market MS DOS separate from the IBM PC project, IBM believing that the majority of the money to be made was in the hardware. Gates proceeded to make a fortune from the licensing of MS-DOS.

In 1981, Tim Paterson quit Seattle Computer Products and found employment at Microsoft.

----------------

Wow. I stand corrected.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 12:34:50 AM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 2/21/2004 5:25:46 PM heretic wrote:

Please do. I've yet to find a linux I like, but I never tried out Suse. I'm very happy with FreeBSD, though.

----------------

Never found an OS other than MS that I liked.

----------------

Well, to each his own. Frankly I think they all suck. The learning curve for anything Unixy sucks. There is little that doesn't suck about Mac OS < X, and there is plenty that still sucks about X. (We could start with file system organization.) Windows has a new security problem every few days -- almost everything my firewall blocks is either a compromised MS machine looking for new victims, or someone trying to compromise an MS machine and create a new victim.

You just have to find the one that is least bad for you. I make money working on all of them. Variety is good for me. 1.gif

----------------

On 2/22/2004 1:20:58 AM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 2/22/2004 10:22:06 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

----------------

Thanks for the history......... whoa wait I was not yet born at that time even this segment of history is finished 3.gif .

At the age of MS-DOS 6.X and windows 3.1/3.11 it dominated some period of time tho, no blue screen at least 3.gif

I've used, uh, wiping dust off back memory tier...

MVS

VM/MVS

VM/CMS

VMS

Wang OS

TRS/DOS

MS-DOS

PC-DOS

UCSD-PCode

CPM

CPM/86

BeOS

Q-DOS

OS/2

WARP

Apple DOS (Apple II OS)

Apple SOS (Apple "Sophisticated Operating Syste on Apple III, aka Apple Sauce)

Mac OS (various flavors through X)

NeXT

System 5 UNIX

AT&T UNIX

Berkeley UNIX

HP/UX

AIX

Solaris

Linux

Lisp (sort of an OS...)

Windows 1.0 (tiled only, no overlap)

TOPS (IBM early Windows compeditor)

Quarterdesk (Early Microsoft compeditor in windows OS arena)

Windows 3.x, 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000, XP

and probably a few others lost in some tetra hydro cannabinol haze from the early 80's...

Of all of these, Apple SOS was easily, and by such a large margin that the nearest compeditor is not even visible in the mirror, the absolute, unequivical *WORST* operating system ever devised.

Of all the rest, the various flavors of System 5 UNIX are the most terrible, awful, hideously obtuse, cantankerous, evil, wicked, unfreindly and dangerous OS but they're better than anything else.

:)