Which Klipsch sub?

Euell

I am interested in getting opinions on which Klipsch Sub would match best with my system. I have a pair of '86 Heresy II's as mains, and recently upgraded to RC-3II Center and RS-3II surrounds.

I currently use 2 Yamaha YST-SW105 subs - mainly because their small size had a high WAF (Wife Approval Factor) but I am ready to add something with more punch.

What can you experts suggest? I would like to stay with Klipsch, but am not opposed to looking outside the line if there is a better sub for sound vs. price ratio.

What is your budget for your upgrade? Obviously is WAF is high on the list, so you'll need something in a small attractive cabinet?

- RSW12 or RSW15 are subs that can fill your needs, wood veneer, but aren't inexpensive...

- HSU VTF3 is another option which is less expensive and comes is a nice gloss black finish.

- I believe SVS has announced that they will be offering wood veneers on some of the smaller models... but there is no mention of this on their site yet. The PB2 and B4's are huge... with a low WAF

- Acoustic visions can build you a beautiful and powerful sub based on the Tumult driver... and should be priced competitively with the RSW15

Given you are using Heresys as mains... and the need for a good WAF, I'd look at the RSW12 and the HSU VTF3... unless moneys is no object.

Rob

----------------

On 2/22/2004 4:58:41 AM 007 wrote:

PB1 Plus, Its wood, look at the site but its $1099 with 500 watts. I'm not sure how it stacks up againts the RSW-12

----------------

Thanks for the heads up... I hadn't visited their site in quite some time. Both the PB2-Ultra and the PB1-plus in wood are available for order, but like you said, they are quite a bit more expensive than their "flat-black" counterparts, which are true bargins.

I'm also surprised that the PB1-Plus is 4" to 5" larger than the PB1-ISD in two dimensions... I know it doesn't sound like much, but given my HUGE sub is 2" to 4" larger than the PB1-Plus, it's quite a size increase.

Rob

----------------

On 2/22/2004 3:20:18 AM formica wrote:

What is your budget for your upgrade? Obviously is WAF is high on the list, so you'll need something in a small attractive cabinet?

- RSW12 or RSW15 are subs that can fill your needs, wood veneer, but aren't inexpensive...

- HSU VTF3 is another option which is less expensive and comes is a nice gloss black finish.

- I believe SVS has announced that they will be offering wood veneers on some of the smaller models... but there is no mention of this on their site yet. The PB2 and B4's are huge... with a low WAF

- Acoustic visions can build you a beautiful and powerful sub based on the Tumult driver... and should be priced competitively with the RSW15

Given you are using Heresys as mains... and the need for a good WAF, I'd look at the RSW12 and the HSU VTF3... unless moneys is no object.

Rob
----------------

Rob -

I don't really have a budget in mind - Although I have done pretty well buying new Reference Series stuff on EBay for a fraction of the cost. The WAF factor is changing a bit since I upgraded the sound with speakers that are complimentary to the Heresy's. She's really impressed with the DVD / DTS audio disks, so I'd like to grab a sub an SACD player while the iron is hot. I even talked her in to re-decorating after doing some speaker placement. I'll check out the other subs you suggested.

Thanks!

Euell

----------------

On 2/23/2004 8:21:10 PM Euell wrote:

The WAF factor is changing a bit since I upgraded the sound ...

----------------

Hmmmm... if you can stretch the WAF... I'd look at the SVS PB2-ISD at just under 900$. It'll easily outperform the PB1-Plus (as well as many others) and save you a couple of hundred at the same time... but it's big, it's textured, and it's black.

Rob

I've found one of the best compromises tends to be the SVS PB2+ as it has one of the best bangs for the buck. It'll level most any other sub (and your house) you can buy but it doesn't come in at the hefty price that the SVS PB2-ultra or the massive B4+ do.

In general, however, your very best value will probably be with SVS. The HSU folk have some great deals, too.5.gif

Looks like most folks are leaning towards the SVS, but I am currently trying to find a local outlet in the Richmond, VA area to demo one. Ebay lists one(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3080641329&category=3275) but it doesn't seem like much of a deal. What's the street price on PB2+? Is there a reliable internet outlet that would have a good price? Direct from SVS, it looks like $1,300 shipped.

Euell

----------------

On 2/24/2004 3:05:20 PM soup nazi wrote:

I vote for the PB2+ as well. Best bang for the buck. Just use it as a side table or put a table cloth on it.
2.gif

----------------

Soup - I agree with your signature. I own a pair of BOSE - was sucked in like everyone else by their marketing campaign. They are now relegated to my garage - where I listen to ball games while working on cars and other stuff on the weekend. They even kind of suck for that purpose.