PS2, X-Box, or Game Cube?

Joe Shmoe

I own and play all 3 systems regularly, and I can say that all have their strenghts and weaknesses. My current fave is the XBOX, only because I'm not a big Square/Enix fan.

I say, if you're into online games and first person shooters, go XBOX. As I said, it's my current favorite. Great games, and most multiplatform titles look and sound best on XBOX. Also, the sound DOMINATES. Almost every title supports Dolby Digital, and it sounds amazing. Plus, it has the best game ever....Halo. 'nuff said. ;)

In response to above, though, a lot of new PS2 games support progressive scan, and almost all support Dolby Pro Logic II. A few here and there (such as GTA: Vice City) even support DTS. And you can buy a Hard Drive and Ethernet adapter for it (although these are already built into the XBOX, I'll give you that). But PS2 has a wealth of good titles also. Has probably 3 times more games than XBOX, and that's not counting the 2000 or so reglular Playstation games you can play on it. A great system also, I wouldn't part with mine.

Then there's the GC....I bought it because I wanted to play Nintendo's titles such as Metroid Prime. It's worth it for these exclusive titles, but don't expect to be playing a wide variety of games...at least not as wide as the above two systems. It supports Dolby Pro Logic 2 and progressive scan, but sadly, with no optical output, no Dolby Digital or DTS.

Final recommendation....XBOX. Great titles (especially this year), lots of FPSs, Action, Driving games....very few RPG's (although Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic is an exclusive, and my favorite RPG). Anyway, XOBX rules.

I agree that it depends on the type of games you're into. I own a PS2 and have played basically only one game in the past couple of years-SOCOM AND SOCOM II. This is the best online console game ever. If you like online gaming, with the mics and the interactiveness with actual human opponents, rather than the AI, online gaming is the ticket for you. PS2 does not currently charge for this, and Xbox only charges $50 per year. That being said, both Xbox and PS2 have great games.

Xbox is known for Halo. I've played it, and just don't like it as much as Socom. You will find others that like it more. It basically boils down to your preference, just like everything else.

I can only speak to that which I know, but I know that SOCOM II is the highest selling online game ever. When I'm online, there are usually between 25,000 and 35,000 people playing.

I also agree that each system has its strenghts and weaknesses. PS2 offers many of the same things that the Xbox does, but they are ad-ons, which drives up the cost. I would rent each one and play some games on each to see which one you like more.

I still have some decisions to make regaurding PS2 or X-box, but I do like PC games also... Quake, Doom, Splinter Cell they are great. Problem is that my wife works on the PC quite a bit so my only other (cheap) alternative is to get a seperate gaming system. Thanks for your help!

Xbox gets my vote. It has better graphics and sound, hard drive, and IMO the best FPS ever, Halo. A speculative PS III might beat it in performance, but that will not be out for over a year. There are a lot more RPGs on the PS, but for get-togethers nothing beats a good game of Halo. You do have to buy a DVD kit for the Xbox to play movies, but that is not make or break IMO.

I'd vote for either the Xbox or the Gamecube. The Gamecube has many kid-appropriate titles. And many of those (i.e. Metroid Prime, F-ZeroX, Zelda etc.) are even great titles for adults. The Xbox has a lot of great games as well.

The Gamecube has a lot of draw because of it's first party franchise games. You will only find Zelda, Metroid and Mario on this system and they are generally speaking all very high quality. New Metroid and Zelda games are being released this year, and for the adult gamer, the next Resident Evil chapter (which is Nintendo exclusive). Overall hardware is great graphics and very good sound. Plus, you mentioned an interest in wireless controllers, and the Gamecube has probably the best one around (the Wavebird). In my opinion, very much worth the price tage

If you want a really cheap and integrated solution, get the Xbox. I have an Xbox with a modchip that has emulators from the Atari 2600 to the N64 (essentially, any cartridge based system). This is why I say integrated, because if it is modded, the Xbox will literally do them all perfectly (and if the concept of this whole modding idea tweaks your interest, check out www.xbox-scene.com. You'll learn anything and everything you need there). The line-up for this system this year consists of Halo 2, Splinter Cell Pandora's Box and Ninja Gaiden. Overall, excellant graphics, excellant sound. This system has no first party wireless controllers, but the Pelican wireless controller feels half decent. The hard drive makes it worth the price tag.

As far as the PS2, I can't say I'm a fan... First of all, the system only has 2 controller ports (you can buy a multi-tap, but at this point you really shouldn't have to). The graphics are worse and while it does have the broadest support of titles, it also has the most "crap" titles (which comes with any lineup... there's always a ratio of some sort). I just feel that for what Sony charges for their system, they could have put a little more into it. 15.gif

Anyway, there's my 2 cents on the current generation of consoles.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 3/14/2004 3:52:52 PM BackBurner wrote:

x-box for 100 reasons .

But don't put any mods into it and then go online , microsoft will skwash your boxs ip address and you'll never game online with that box again.

----------------

That's not completely true. Mod chips come with an on-off switch for a reason 2.gif But yeah, if you go online with your chip switched off, you'll be booted off of there before you can say "intellectual property."