Cheap Subs

hooting_monkey

Ok, since im a poor 16 yr old with no life, and this thread didn't get much respodse in the ProMedia forums, which is the best sub listed below?

2 KLH POS's

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826208198&skuId=5377549&type=product&cmp=%20%20

The Athena

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806302541&skuId=5336095&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03045

A mass produced Sony

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806317490&skuId=5378913&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03045

A good ol' Yami

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051826218390&skuId=5539367&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03045

If anybody can give me some info, expiriances, suggestions, or other knowlage of these, feel free to do so. I have a $250 budget and these are goign to a 2.1, soon to be a 4.2. I also cannot order online....

Notice I said the thread didn't do well in the ProMedia forums. Obviously I am using it in conjucntion with a ProMedia 2.1. Since this is a Powered Subwoofer forum, and I do have a question about Powered Subwoofers, don't be stupid and say post in the ProMedia forums. Also if you didn't happen to read my first post, it says I cannot order online. It has to be availible at a major retailer. Please read nest time.

----------------

On 2/26/2004 12:17:24 PM hooting_monkey wrote:

Notice I said the thread didn't do well in the ProMedia forums. Obviously I am using it in conjucntion with a ProMedia 2.1. Since this is a Powered Subwoofer forum, and I do have a question about Powered Subwoofers, don't be stupid and say post in the ProMedia forums. Also if you didn't happen to read my first post, it says I cannot order online. It has to be availible at a major retailer. Please read nest time.

----------------

Whoa, woke up on the wrong side of the bed did we?3.gif Anyhow, I think of the ones you listed, Yamaha would be my choice too. Without a doubt, any velodyne, rsw, or svs sub (to name only a few) would be overkill for the promedia system. But like Erukian said, I don't think the SWS would be too much of a far cry. While it is designed to be more powerful for larger rooms or college parties or hormonally repressed girls like in Howard Stern's movie, it's not overwhelming and I'm sure it can be tuned to blend in with the promedia's well.

PS - Looks like we both have anime peeps for our avatars. High five!

----------------

On 2/26/2004 12:17:24 PM hooting_monkey wrote:

----------------

Just for future reference, it doesn't usually help you get more replies when you answer suggestions with that tone of voice. People are just trying to help, you don't need to get condescending. What about those Polk subs theEar and ProDJ have? See the "klipsch vs. polk" thread in this same forum. For the same money I might just get a couple SWS, those seem kinda hard to beat for the price.

I would go with the Athena sub,if I was forced to buy one of the four.The Sony is a real deal hard core POS and only deaf people with no taste for accuracy can like them.

Yamaha would be another choice,and may even please many who compared the Athena with the Yamaha.

If you value quality over boxy sound and boom boom get the Athena,but first listen to the Yamaha and Athena.

I highly recommend the Velodyne's VX-10, it can be found around $150 online. I've been playing with it lately and I would not hesitate to say I haven't found anything better under $300. I've also played around with the orignal Dayton 10" from www.partsexpress.com and I was thoroughly impressed with that as well, it came close to the entry level Velo's performance and it was only around $100. The new Dayton model has a bit larger enclosure and slightly more powerful amp so it's fair guess to say the low end should be slightly improved. The new Dayton model costs $130.

Sorry for the use of a strong tone in earlier post. I was pissed off because my ProMedia 2.1 got toasted. Thanks for all you peoples input. I hope for more as I won't get the sub until late March. I hape I can get some more info and suggestions. Remeber I can only get subs from major stores, as I live in Wisconsin. I also cannot buy online, as I have to credit card....

do you have any local hifi shops around your area.

try to look for a sub 300 dollars Alantic Technology sub. For movies, its a lot better then the yamaha and more powerful then the athena.

I heard the athena 8" at best buy, not really that great, and gets sort of buddy towards the lower end spectrum. Then again, those people probably dont know how to set them up right.