RSX 5, RCX4 Impressions & Recommendations

JewishAMerPrince

I wrote in last month looking for some impressions on the RX series speakers for use in a 5.1 system in my master bedroom. There didn't seem to be many people out there with RXs to help support my decision, but I went ahead and made the purchase anyhow. I received the speakers yesterday, did a quick hookup and setup and about two hours of listening and this AM decided I needed to add this post for anyone considering a similar setup for ANY application. I am very familiar with the sound of Klipsch Reference having gone from a 3 series to 7 series upgrade on my main theater system about a year ago. I set my initial expectations for the RXs low considering the cost of (1) RCX4 and (4) RSX5s was under $900 or about 25% of what (1) RC,(2) RFs and (2) RS speakers cost in the 7 series. My expectations were also lowered because of the smallish physical size of the RXs within my rather large (by comparison to most) MBR (26x14) and like most bedrooms is heavily dampened by carpet, draperies and a large bed. I also had set my fit and finish expectations low since I already knew that the RXs were made in China, I was expecting something that looked and sounded inferior to other Klipsch products. OMG was I in for a very pleasant surprise on all counts.

Fit and finish are flawless, besting my expectations by miles and miles, and even (embarrasingly) exceeding the fit and finish of my 7 series. The sound is very charachteristic of Reference series, forward, detailed clean and clear; all and all way superior to equivalent priced Synergies, and other brands. These little babies can really fill a room with full clean detailed sound. Driven by a very cheap but clean Panasonic RX25 (100wpc) receiver they can crank loud enough to be uncomfortable without getting harsh. I am anchoring this system with a venerable old Energy 10" powered sub with all the RXs set to small and crossover set to 100hz.

So, if anyone has the need for a highly cost and size effective surround system this is one very good way to go. For less than 2K you can set yourself up with speakers, Receiver and DVD player and join the magical world of Home Theater.

Jerry Rappaport

we have rsx-5's/rcx4/rsw-10(interchanged w/rsw-12)setup in the same room as rf-7's/rc7/rs-7/rsw-15.

the ref sats are hooked up to a yamaha rxv-1400. the large speaker ref sys is hooked up to a 200 w.p.c. 5-ch amp and pre-pro...

the difference in sound between the two is not as dramatic as you would expect.

the biggest difference between the two is bass output(naturally)and at higher volume levels,the bigger sys sounds better,and plays louder.

the ref sats are THE BEST sounding sat speakers i've heard,even better than the nice energy encore system we have.congrats on your system,and thanks for the input.

avman.

Space

I haven't really mounted them yet. The fronts are each temporarily sitting on top of a KG 3.5, and the rears are on our nightstands. I WILL be mounting the rears to the walls. The mounts look decent enough to me, and have a unique way of keeping alignment. I had purchased some universal satellite speaker stands before the RSXs arrived that turned out to be far too puny for these somewhat sizable Sats. I'll be shopping for the SANUS stands tomorrow. I understand that they are making one for the RSXs (at least according to Klipsch).

JR

Hey

I posted on your last request about some info on this setup for your bedroom , I dont know if you remembered what i posted , I babelled about using hollow wall mounts to ancor your speakers ( RSX-5 ) to the wall , Well time has passed and ill tell you something , These speakers are sounding better with time , I havent had any regrets about this HT setup and i have no problem promoting it , in all honesty, a Perfect system for me . Thanks for thinking the same way that i am.

I've been looking for a fairly cheap center speaker to upgrade my 5.1 system (see below) to 6.1 and was considering the RCX but was a little worried about the comparative power ratings of my other speakers, and the rms rating of the RCX. Does anyone have any input on how th RCX would perform with the rest of my setup?

Andre

Yes I remember your post, thank you, it was probably the only one I got on the RSX and RCX.

OM

Objectively I think it would perform very well. Power ratings could be an issue, however I think that under most circumstances you couldn't stand in the same room with the RCX if it were fed more than 10 watts CONTINUOUS power, and I am sure it's peak power handeling capability is several times it's 75 watt continuous rating. The same goes for your RF15s. Timbre would be may main concern, however, it is my understanding that Klipsch has attempted to timbre match all the reference line so that they may be used interchangeably to assemble a system to ones own requirements.

JR

I completely agree that these are the best sounding small sat's available(at least that I've heard). I picked up a couple of the RSX-5's for the computer on an impluse but they've just been sitting in the closet because I have no sub or amp yet. Right now I'm using a PM2.1's but I'm not sure whether it's a smart move use the Promedia's amp section to power the RSX-5's because I don't know the impedance of the 2.1 sat's.

Frankie

It's probably not a good move. Impedeadance issue or not, the promedia amp probably doesn't have enough power to drive the RSXs without clipping. Clipping destroys speakers by creating heat in the voice coils. While it may not burn them out, clipping may damage the speakers clarity, especially in the high frequencies.

JR

Frankie - go ahead and try the Ref Sats with your PM 2.1. The impedance won't be a problem. As far as clipping, etc. there's a simple solution. If you crank it up enough that you hear a lot of distortion just turn it down a little. Preventing damage to speakers is as easy as using your ears.

I am thinking about getting RSX'4 for my Promedia 5.1 Ultra. I think the amp is rated at about 60 watts @ 4ohms into 5 channnels. Im more worried about the center being that its 2 drivers. Do you think I will be able to at least play them as loud at my old PM sats. My biggest reason for upgrading is the pm sats are a little harsh. Also the crossover for the sub starts at 140 and I think takes over at 120 and down. What are you thoughts?