My New Scott

T_Shomaker

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Taylor, I was told wrong by one of the larger Scott collectors in town on the speaker connections! Looh at the center channel, and all you will notice is the "O" and "H". The O is common or ground(silver wire), and the H is hot(copper wire.) This is repeated again for the left and right channels.

The two wires that come out from the guts which are hooked up to the 8 ohm taps up above - only set the actual speaker taps below for 8 ohms. You can move the wire leads to 4, 8, or 16 ohms, but always hook the speaker wires to the lower set of taps.

Remember to thank each of the donors individually - they went out of their way to help you. When you thank someone, they will always be inclined to help again if you run into trouble. It is a good lesson to learn at your age - it will aid you for the rest of your life!12.gif

Taylor,

Just pick up a meter like listed above and keep a eye on the bias if it has to be adjusted by a huge margin it will be time for a new set of tubes. The tubes in your amp are just not stellar on tube tester but still very much useable ! Like Ryan said a blue glow is pretty common. Its also very cool looking. If Dave didn't get a chance to walk you through Biasing I can call you and walk you through it anytime this is a important thing to check every so often.

Craig

Dave,

It really doesn't matter as long as they are both the same and the speakers are in phase.

A good test for speaker phasing is to listen one way then reverse the phase. Some amps have a switch on others you have to switch the wires to one speaker. Do the switch orwhere ever easiest at the amp or the speaker.

Listen to the system both ways with a recording that has both good bass and a centered instrument. When the speakers are out of phase the bass MAY be a little weaker,but you will hear two definite sound sources and little central instrument. When the speakers are in phase, there should be an improvement in bass but, more importantly, the stereo image will merge and you will have a sound stage in front of you with that central instrument and the individual speakers will seem to disappear.

The reason I say the bass MAY be worse is that if the speakers are far apart the bass cancellation will be minimized.

On Taylor's amp there is a phase switch. It's probably on the back near the speaker connection.

Rick

Edit: I see a lot of guys that say that my speakers are wired properly the plus goes to the plus ,etc. Yet they wonder why their stereo image isn't correct and blame the speakers. But, who is sure that the internal wiring or the voice coils are correct. Not many are willing to devote the time to hook up a battery to correctly phase their speakers from the cone back to the amp. I know that when i play my Scott the black banana plug goes into the - plug on the right channel, on the Jolida, the black plug must go into the red plug to be properly phased. Go figure!

Yeah, tell me about it. Ok, heres the plan:We will take the original plan on how to wake up Taylor's parents, and use them to wake all them up! We will turn on Back in Black as loud as our Klipsch speakers can take it, and together with all of us, we will be able to wake them up! Maybe not...

I have been awake since about eight thirty but I can't turn on my stereo because it would wake my brother up who got home at five in the morning (he is a valet). I left the Scott on when I went to bed at 3 so it should be good and ready to play when I can turn it on2.gif .

Oh BTW I can't post pics because I don't have a digital camera

Taylor

My brother woke up so I turned up the amp to like 5 or 6 and played the first track on DSOTM where it gets really loud. He came into my room yelling at me because he couldn't hear the TV ou in the living room. Well I think that's what he said I couldn't hear what he was saying. The amp sounds great, it's like a whole different stereo. It completly changed the way the Heresys sound. The harshness of the Yamaha is now gone. The highs are much smoother. I have kept the loudness on because the bass is so much better.

My brother keeps ruining everything, he is no fun11.gif ! He went downstairs so I'm going to go back up there and listen to it loud again.

----------------

On 2/28/2004 12:26:20 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

My brother woke up so I turned up the amp to like 5 or 6 and played the first track on DSOTM where it gets really loud. He came into my room yelling at me because he couldn't hear the TV ou in the living room. Well I think that's what he said I couldn't hear what he was saying. The amp sounds great, it's like a whole different stereo. It completly changed the way the Heresys sound. The harshness of the Yamaha is now gone. The highs are much smoother. I have kept the loudness on because the bass is so much better.

My brother keeps ruining everything, he is no fun
11.gif
! He went downstairs so I'm going to go back up there and listen to it loud again.
----------------

Remember, tubes sound great at low volumes as well. 2.gif

----------------

On 2/28/2004 12:55:40 PM Piranha wrote:

----------------

My brother keeps ruining everything, he is no fun
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif"> ! He went downstairs so I'm going to go back up there and listen to it loud again.
----------------

Remember, tubes sound great at low volumes as well.
2.gif

----------------

Yeah but they sound even better loud!

----------------

The amp sounds great, it's like a whole different stereo. It completly changed the way the Heresys sound. The harshness of the Yamaha is now gone. The highs are much smoother.

----------------

Yep, PWK designed them using tube amps. They still sound best that way.

Taylor, you are one lucky kid...enjoy your new Scott amp! I'm still waiting for my BEZ 300B SET to arrive so my Cornwalls can properly sing via valve power!

Your blue tube glow is nothing...my bro had a thin blue glow inside each his stock Chinese EL34s. And my BEZ 6SN7 SRPP line stage preamp uses two different regulator tubes; the OC3 has a pinkish cast, and the OD3 a purplish cast to it...they're really nice to see glowing in the dark!

Maybe in the not-to-distant-future, you may consider hooking up another single Heresy to your amp's center channel output for 3-channel stereo...it's the way good ol' PWK liked his audio system, and so do many here on this forum. Somethin' to think about when you're blasting AC/DC to your parent's delight (heh)!