Second System: The new Rage - Sub $80 Digital

Lordy Mike. Throw some of the output section mods into something like the players listed above and that thing will be retired to ye olde Closet Retirement Village...

It might even do this bone stock! Follow the recs I made a few posts above and you will be surprised.

As a final note, these players seem to REALLY mesh well with tubes... It was a real synergistic match with the EICO HF-81 and Scott 299B with the Scott losing a bit in the brightness department. In fact, with the EICO HF-81, I think one of those dumps could challenge some heavy hitters for chump change. I would put this $60 player and EICO against some serious gear and not be embarrassed. I dont want to build it up too much, as there IS BETTER... but for $60?????? BOOM BOXES cost more than my EICO - Wal-Marter!

kh

Kelly : I read an article in some HT mag not so long ago that basicly said entry level players in todays market equate to player costing thousands of dollars 10 years ago. I firmly believe this myself

I bought a toshiba SD-V290 combination DVD / VHS player from wall-mart just after christmas , This thing was so cheap thay almost had to pay me to carry it out the door . lol

Bloody thing plays everybit as good as my ________ $$$$$ player .

Signed : I'm embarassed i paid so much for my ______ $$$$ player .

This pioneer sounds darn good! Almost and i mean almost as good as my Marantz SA-8260 and thats a $900 player 1.gif It sounds great on Linear PCM 16bit 48KHZ, lots of bass and smooth mids and highs and DVD Audio sounds very nice at 24bit 96khz, its a very smooth player. It uses the Burr Brown 1791 DAC's10.gif

Kelly,

You are preaching to the converted here. I wrote some time ago about a locally produced DVD player from a company called Comet. Normal retail is around $130 but one of the stores had a mixup and sold them for $70. Tony and I picked one up each.

We had zero expectations on the quality front and bought these merely as they seemed to include almost everything you can expect from a DVD player (on board decoder with 6 outputs, optical and Coax, DTS etc. etc.)

I cant tell you how surprised we both were to find we prefered the playback of CD on this unit over both my Marantz CD6000 and Tony's Pioneer (cant remember the model number - the top of the range from a few years back with the thick loading tray that takes the CD's upsidedown).

The only problems we have experienced to date with the unit are:

1. The tray closes on its own whilst you are in the middle of inserting a disk so you have to be quick.

2. There is a slim gap between the faceplate and the tray - just wide enough for a disk. I had to void the waranty by opening the cover to remove the 6 CD's my daughter had stuffed in there! Funny thing is - the unit still played with five of the six in place (we discovered her trick on disk 6 and didnt test it out to see if it played thereafter until said disks had been removed.

Here are some nice reviews of the Pioneer DV-563A, The L/R (also 2-channel) DAC is the Burr-Brown DSD1791 and the rest of the channels use the Burr-Brown DSD1702 DACs.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/dvdplayers/1203pioneer/

http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_DV_563A/4505-6473_7-30470421-2.html?tag=review

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=hirez&n=165676

I bought the Toshiba SD-3950 this afternoon at BestBuy but there's been too much going on for me to listen to it much. What I have heard so far, just a couple hours, sounds good.

But, and it's a big BUT

there is some annoying clicking or chirping from the unit, which I think is probably the laser mechanism tracking. I can just barely hear it from my throne when the volume is totally down, and not at all when any music is playing. But it is a drag and I'm not sure whether it's something I can live with or not. Luckily I have a month or two, whatever their return policy is, to decide.

The reason why members of the new crop of cheapo DVD players sound as good as they do?

the higher rez converters (24/192 in the case of that Toshiba) mask the cheap converter design by pushing the filter noise up out of the audible spectrum.

This is precisely the reason why there is such a huge industry push in the Pro Audio market towards 24/96 and 24/192 audio - it's a manufacturer push that will allow them to basically put crappy, poorly built converters in the A/D and D/A boxes they sell, and have the user not be able to tell the difference.

Nothing wrong with it on the consumer end, AFAIC. You guys get to enjoy better quality sound output from your CD's without breaking the bank.

Just don't be surprised if, in about 13-16 months, the thing starts freezing in the middle of a disc for no apparent reason. The other reason they're so cheap is because the tracking mechanisms are very, very poorly built, and very, very susceptible to normal use knocking them out of alignment.

It's a disposable unit. Don't expect it to be a tank and you'll enjoy it.

----------------

there is some annoying clicking or chirping from the unit, which I think is probably the laser mechanism tracking. I can just barely hear it from my throne when the volume is totally down, and not at all when any music is playing. But it is a drag and I'm not sure whether it's something I can live with or not. Luckily I have a month or two, whatever their return policy is, to decide.

----------------

It's a defective unit. Swap it out, before the 30 days runs out on you.

I'm not sure if it's defective or if they are all like this. There have been some other complaints for the same exact thing when I was searching for reviews. But you're right, I might as well return it to see if the next one is quieter. I'd be pretty happy with it if it weren't for the noise issue.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 7:53:54 PM paulparrot wrote:

I'm not sure if it's defective or if they are all like this. There have been some other complaints for the same exact thing when I was searching for reviews. But you're right, I might as well return it to see if the next one is quieter. I'd be happy with it if it weren't for the noise issue.

----------------

They're not all like that, I promise. I put several of them through the wringer demoing them on various TV's while I was working at BB. Never had one do that. Customer returns on that Toshiba were pretty low as well - and in Lynchburg, people will return stuff for nothing at all - I guarantee that if it was a really widespread problem, peeps would be unloading those suckers on the R/E desk.

Handel,

You think I have that kind of money to burn? Actually, I don't need another player at all, so only bought it because it was really really inexpensive and out of curiosity because of some of the reviews I read. One guy actually said it was the ONLY CD player he had EVER heard that he liked!

Griffinator,

Okay then, I'll return it next time I'm out. Thanks.

Been following this thread closly, very interesting information. I am currently using a 5 yr old Yamaha CDC 755 changer, and though happy with it, I really don't get a chance to do much listening to other peoples systems to compare it with other units. (I'm at work, but best as I can recall, and from looking at the Yamaha Old item listings, that's the one.) I have been putting off getting a DVD player, 90% of the movies we have are our 4 yo daughters on VHS. If anyone has experience with this vintage Yamaha players, how would you say these new, inexpensive, one unit does all pieces compare? For the price, I can't really see going wrong. I just wish there was a way to copy all these dang tapes to DVD, or is there? I assumed they were all copy protected, but I've been wrong 9 times already today, and it's only 7 o'oclock at night!!

Griffinator,

Did you hear any transport noise on these Toshiba units? I don't want to exaggerate it, it's not like an alarm clock going off, but it's definitely noticeable. I'm just wondering if maybe you didn't notice it with all that godawful subwoofer noise always going on at BestBuy! How could you stand that TTTTHHHHHHHUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP TTTTHHHHHHHUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP all the time, anyway?

----------------

On 3/4/2004 8:26:34 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

Been following this thread closly, very interesting information. I am currently using a 5 yr old Yamaha CDC 755 changer, and though happy with it, I really don't get a chance to do much listening to other peoples systems to compare it with other units. (I'm at work, but best as I can recall, and from looking at the Yamaha Old item listings, that's the one.) I have been putting off getting a DVD player, 90% of the movies we have are our 4 yo daughters on VHS. If anyone has experience with this vintage Yamaha players, how would you say these new, inexpensive, one unit does all pieces compare? For the price, I can't really see going wrong. I just wish there was a way to copy all these dang tapes to DVD, or is there? I assumed they were all copy protected, but I've been wrong 9 times already today, and it's only 7 o'oclock at night!!

----------------

If these are home movies you're talking about, they wouldn't have any copy protection on them. There are indeed lots of different DVD recorders available.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 8:33:24 PM paulparrot wrote:

Griffinator,

Did you hear any transport noise on these Toshiba units? I don't want to exaggerate it, it's not like an alarm clock going off, but it's definitely noticeable. I'm just wondering if maybe you didn't notice it with all that godawful subwoofer noise always going on at BestBuy! How could you stand that TTTTHHHHHHHUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP TTTTHHHHHHHUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP all the time, anyway?

----------------

LOL!

In the BB where I worked, the Video department (where these units were located) was several hundred feet from the Car Audio section.

I worked in Home Audio most of the time, which was directly adjacent to Car Audio. Whenever those goofs would fire up the subs, I'd just fire up the Klipsch SF-2's (and later the SF-3's) with the KSW-12 and load up "Pull Me Under" from Dream Theater's Images and Words album.

The subs would stop, and I'd have a crowd checking out my speakers in no time flat. 9.gif