Second System: The new Rage - Sub $80 Digital

----------------

On 1/4/2005 12:47:29 PM paulparrot wrote:

Audio Flynn,

Don't you ever get tired of listening to cymbals? Where do you even find CDs of just cymbals? I guess maybe it beats listening to 1KHz sine waves all day.

----------------

I guess you have never heard the Llangollen Cymbal Orchestra simply wicked.

Sometimes i even listen to Bob Dylan and I focus on the cymbals.

Ever since I bought my daughter the drum set 6 years ago it has been a bit of an obsession.

When we bought the set it was really basic but I had a pro snare already for her. Then a friend of hers was getting all new Sabain cymbals for his birthday; spoiled only child thing.

Her was selling off the old set of Zildjan. I bough the ride and high hats for $ 200 (or less as i remember) including the ride stand (very beefy).

It is not an awesome set but for the $ 850 I have in it the components sound real competent.

I wounder what parts of the drum set Mr LeMay listens to?

Well Jeff at Shopko wasn't all that helpful, seemed he was more interested in getting his department closed down and getting the hell out of the store at 8 bells rather than helping me. Then again, it IS Shopko, so I didn't expect too much. They had the 3950 on display over Christmas, he can't tell me if they have any unopened old stock, all they have now on their computer is the 3960, and isn't sure if they have the box/manual/etc that came with the display model. He was willing to give me 10% of for the display model, which is kinda a crapshoot, I know, but in the town it's in, a farming community, I doubt they had many people fiddling with it. Granted, I'd have to get a cousin/uncle/aunt to pick it up for me, then not actually get my hands on it for a month or three, but it sounds like the 3950 is a better unit than the 3960.

I can't believe I'm talking about buying something from Shopko on this forum and still holding my head high, but for 50-60$, what the heck.

p.s. I'm gonna try and get him to throw in a set of Crap-Masters on the deal since it's a discontinued model and all.

fini, you have truly missed your calling. Amy should put a sticky on a new thread that includes nothing but "fini-isms".

As far as these players being an "investment", hell, I spent more than these units cost on drinks when I took my employees out for for lunch on New Years Eve. I am by no means flush with money, but I will venture to guess they sound no worse than my 6-7 year old mid line Yamaha cd changer, and I need to get a dvd player anyway, so it's a gamble I'm willing to take. Unless, of course, anyone here would care to just give me a new or slightly used $2-3000 player that would meet the approval of those that can afford such things.

neo my problem is that the 3960 doesn't have an optical output so it can't be used as a dvd player in a 5.1 channel HT system. This thread touted these toshibas as a wonderful "do it all" type of player. Check out the 1st post by coda on the 1st page of this thread. Who wouldn't buy one after reading that?

I had also recently purchased a sony 7.1 receiver. It took me about 6 months to figure out why my new receiver & my new dvd player wouldn't play movies in 5.1.

I hooked my ancient kenwood dvd (which has an optical out) back up & was finally able to enjoy 5.1 from my new receiver.

The LED info on the front panel of the 3960 is minimal. It only shows the track number. You have to turn on the tv to access the important info and all menus. That's fine if you're watching a movie through the 3960 (why would you though? It doesn't have an optical out for 5.1 sound) but it's a pain in the arse if you're using the 3960 for music. I don't want to turn on my TV to know what my CD player is doing.

The 3960 is mechanically loud. It chirps and chugs constantly. It can be heard over the movie most of the time. Imagine having a cricket chirping while you're trying to watch a movie or listening to quite passages in music.

IMHO the 3960s only attribute is that it will play the mp3 format.

You get what you pay for. I'm not too bitter because it was only $70 or so out of my pocket. The 3960 would be a great unit for a kids room. Other than that it's not worth buying.

I got a similar unit for my 75 year old father in law, who only wanted to watch rental DVDs on his plain old TV and also listen to CD's. At $49, the Philips unit sounded great and looked great on the TV.

For surround, yes, it needs some help, but for the $$ invested, it was a no-brainer for him.

D0N,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the gist of this was that the 39x0 makes a good cheap CD player. Its use as a DVD player would be secondary if even on the radar for this discussion. Besides which, in MH's first post, he talked about hooking it up to his Eico. He'd be using analog outputs for that.

Finally, what stops you using the coaxial digital out for your 5.1 needs?

O

DON, you got it all wrong! This thread is about the musicality of the 3950 as a CHEAP CD Player (for a WHOPPING $49)! The other features are just a side benefit! This thread was started by Kelly not Coda. Go back and reread the thread from the beginning!

I bought it for the dvd player. Afterall, it IS marketed as a dvd player. I've read the whole thread and saw a few members saying they needed a new dvd player and were considering the toshibas. I just don't want someone to make the same mistake I did.

I was using the coaxial output from the 3960 but my reciever didn't recognize the 5.1 signal. As soon as I plugged the optical output from the kenwood into the reciever it lit up like a christmas tree... indicating the 5.1 was now working.

No problems comprehending on this end. Maybe on your end neo? 2.gif

A bunch of people on this thread have said they need a new DVD player. C-Taste-beer-budget mentions it on this page a few posts up.

The 3960 is not a good dvd player IMO. It may be a great cd player... if you don't mind turning on your tv to access the menus where most of the cd players functions are found...