Speaker post jumpers

MarvinG

If one does NOT intend to bi-wire or bi-amp, I know the dual posts need to remain jumpered, but I've read weher some users replace the KLIPSCH supplied jumper with speaker wire. Why is this necessary to do? Is the quality of the product as shipped inadequate in this regard???

Marvin

----------------

On 3/7/2004 8:08:06 PM DeanG wrote:

Well, if you look at it simply from the perspective of the conductance value of what's available -- copper is definitely better than gold.
----------------

Dean,

Are the jumpers gold plated or brass? I thought that I read in the manuals they were brass jumpers. And yes copper does conduct better than gold, however gold won't corrode.

John

----------------

Well, if you look at it simply from the perspective of the conductance value of what's available -- copper is definitely better than gold.

----------------

If the thing is completely gold it'll be better. Transfer between 2materials make it worse, that's why........

And copper corrode over time as stated above...... in long run u have to keep replacing it, copper oxide insulates completely

"Well, if you look at it simply from the perspective of the conductance value of what's available -- copper is definitely better than gold."

Are we talking thermal or electrical conductance here? Am I under the mistaken impression that gold is a better conductor of electicity than copper? I know that silver is better than copper.

gold then silver then copper. copper is the worst of the three, but it is much more cost effective, that is why it is the most widely used conductor. gold and silver are not very cost effective. you do not get that much of an increase in quality for the price you would pay, can you imagine how much a pure gold speaker wire would cost. phew. 11.gif

----------------

----------------

sorry gold is better then copper. gold is the best conductor. copper is just more cost effective, as i have already stated.

----------------

sorry gold is better then copper. gold is the best conductor. copper is just more cost effective, as i have already stated.

----------------

Actually, the resistivity of silver is 1.4 x 10^-6 Ohm/cm, copper is 1.7, gold is 2.4, and aluminum is 2.8. Gold is used to prevent corrosion. Silver is not used because of economic reasons and for certain properties at certain frequencies (will have to look that up).

John