Tesla/JJ 12AX7 ECC83's

Piranha

These are a nice sounding tube in a Scott 299D integrated. I bought a matched quad from Uncle Ned for $39.80.

I am also running a quad of JJ EL34's in my 272.

Do they make KT88's?

Does anyone have any input good or bad on this manufacturer?

Thanks!

Piranha,

Nothing but good things to say about JJ from my end.I own a HEAVYLY modified Anthem Integrated and had tons of problems with it as the mods made it more and more transparent.As a last effort (I was in stupid deep,money wise and still not happy)I replaced the entire compliment with JJ.WOW! Everyone knows tube rolling makes a difference but these tubes saved this amp from eBay or worse.I was so impressed I bought one of their amps and I've never looked back.The Anthem was good,about 40-45watts per,EL84out,but the JJ is another animal,70watts per(very conservative)of KT88 power.JJ built their line of amps to showcase their tubes,I bought it without even hearing it first.NO REGRETS.BIG,CLEAN,CLEAR and LOUD!!Price was right as well.Just a point of interest.JJ Electronic and JJ tubes have NOTHING to do with the old firm Tesla,except the CEO and owner of JJ Mr.Jan Jurco was at one time an engineer with Tesla.After the wall came down he purchased some of the equipment from the then defunct Tesla,moved it to Slovakia and started his own company.Truely new and improved in everyway the products JJ makes have NO relation to Tesla except those stated.Tesla tubes were crap,JJs are most certainly not.Several articles,including a KT88 shootout have appeared recently in Vacuum Tube Valley regarding JJ.And no,I don't work for JJ. 1.gif

Analogman

I scored a good trio of strong used Telefunken 12AX7's some time back complete with the PA amp.

Sold the RCA 6L6's the amp had for 40 bucks.

Bought a NOS tele 12AX7 last fall for ten bucks.

I'm into a quad for 15 bucks.

Also bought a pair of NOS Mullard 12AX7's last fall for ten bucks.

I guess I better shut up.

I do have some JJ's floating around here somewhere.........

I actually prefer the old Tesla 12ax7s and EL34's to the current JJ production. Especially the EL34's - and not by a little bit either! Just my opinion and not to say anything bad against the JJ tubes as they were perfectly adequate. Analogman, have you ever heard the old Tesla el34? "Crap" is a pretty harsh term. I still have a quad - shoot me a pm and maybe I can arrange a try out for you.

I had a quad of el84's in my 299 for quite some time. I replaced them with Ei Elites which bettered them slightly. In fact, if you find good ones (as they are apparently a mixed bag in terms of microphonics) I prefer Ei new production to the JJ. Especially the 12ax7.

First,Thanks for the offer kev313."Crap" was too broad as my exposure is limited.I just found them unreliable and inconsistant (my batch) which certainly doesn't make them ALL crap.Sheltie Dave,sorry I didn,t get the "buddy time bonding" thing,but please note,I've only been here a very short while.The only "BUD" I have ever had is my Son so I am new to this sort of thing.I have swilled a lot of Buds however1.gifYou know this thread reminds me,I've got a couple of small boxes of various miniature tube types,most barely used,including an octet

of EiEL84 that I could stand for about a week.Made my ears bleed9.gif I will compile a list of what I have and post here and someone can make an offer if you're interested.

NOSValves,to me it does make a difference1.gif

Analogman

----------------

On 3/9/2004 7:59:50 AM kev313 wrote:

I actually prefer the old Tesla 12ax7s and EL34's to the current JJ production. Especially the EL34's - and not by a little bit either! Just my opinion and not to say anything bad against the JJ tubes as they were perfectly adequate. Analogman, have you ever heard the old Tesla el34? "Crap" is a pretty harsh term. I still have a quad - shoot me a pm and maybe I can arrange a try out for you.

I had a quad of el84's in my 299 for quite some time. I replaced them with Ei Elites which bettered them slightly. In fact, if you find good ones (as they are apparently a mixed bag in terms of microphonics) I prefer Ei new production to the JJ. Especially the 12ax7.----------------

Ei Gold Elite to JJ? Hmmmm??? I guess my ears are very different than yours. The JJ's sound a lot better than the Ei's to me. JMHO

P.S. My neighbor tried both as well and he now owns JJ 12AX7's. 2.gif

I just put in for an order of Quad matched set of Ei KT90 output tubes for my Dynaco's, I hear the KT90's are the best sounding of the KT88 new production family and can take a beating, I am going to bias these things super hot which is what they like from others experiences. I cant wait!

----------------

On 3/9/2004 12:04:34 PM Georg F. Handel wrote:

I just put in for an order of Quad matched set of Ei KT90 output tubes for my Dynaco's, I hear the KT90's are the best sounding of the KT88 new production family and can take a beating, I am going to bias these things super hot which is what they like from others experiences. I cant wait!
----------------

I hope the Ei KT90 is better than the Ei Gold 12AX7's. Let me know what you think of them please.

I bought a quad of Valve Art KT88's for my Mark III's. We can compare notes when I get my Mark III's back.

Thanks!

----------------

On 3/10/2004 12:16:55 AM Piranha wrote:
I hope the Ei KT90 is better than the Ei Gold 12AX7's. Let me know what you think of them please.

I bought a quad of Valve Art KT88's for my Mark III's. We can compare notes when I get my Mark III's back.

Thanks!

----------------

You bet, they should be here sometime next week.

----------------

On 3/10/2004 12:44:25 AM Piranha wrote:

So, you have your Mark III's and new pre?

----------------

Yes I do, The Preamp is breaking in nicely and sounds wonderful and the amps are very smooth and clean sounding, I will report to you on the KT90's once i get them broken in and see what i notice diffrent.

Guest Anonymous

Piranhaman, you went from a creep15.gif to a GREAT guy amd ya made the old guy happy to boot. The best part of the whole thing is NOW ya feel Great about YOU9.gif and ya got some fun stuff to boot.

Good going buddy2.gif hope to see ya soon, BTW it's in the 30's out now, could you please trade some pizza, and beef for some of your weather6.gif12.gif