Is it safe to crack the bass to full on my A/V receiver?

KAiN5 (banned )

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if you want a bunch of 150Hz mud in your music. Those "bass" and "treble" controls do not control the entire band, but rather a single frequency. Bass control is usually between 150-250, Treble is typically 5-6Khz. Why? Because these are the frequencies our ears associate with "bass" and "clarity".

Hence the Bose Acoustimess.

rf7 are full range speakers so they can well reproduce a very wide frequency range.

if you add some bass with cranckink up the bass management on your AV receiver the sounds will not sounds true but very very boomy.

try for a moment if you want but i m sure you will reset the bass to 0db because you will hate the sound it will make.

ohoh??

so there is a probleme...

if dvd sounds good and and cd have weak bass it s not normal.

in my opinion you should have weak bass in dvd(because dvd have a special channel for bass) and cd should sounds normal(it s only in stereo so with rf7 no need for a sub because it s some full range speakers)

check cables running fron your cd player to your receiver or setup from your cd player.

----------------

On 3/9/2004 2:54:43 PM m00n wrote:

I know TheEar loves to hurass me on this, but I have both treble and bass tonal controls cranked. Never had an issue and I prefer the sound.

----------------

Good. Let me join in with the harassment. What in the heck are you thinking about?! 9.gif

No, seriously. The "loudness" contour is a habit that has to be un-learned. Once you quit the max-treble/max-bass setting cold turkey, you start to appreciate what the mixing engineer intended you to hear, how much more realistic the music is, how much more detailed everything becomes - and that "loudness" sound becomes like nails-on-chalkboard to your ears.

----------------

On 3/9/2004 6:26:30 PM Griffinator wrote:

Good. Let me join in with the harassment. What in the heck are you thinking about?!
9.gif

----------------

I can't help it. I like it that way. Anything else sounds flat to me. 4.gif

Do you use a toslink digital cable and use your dvd player as a cd player? If that is the case swap it out for a coax nothing really expensive or cheap. I did this and got back the bass i was missing for along time since the whole dd and dts. I had quite a flat tinny sound before i had coax. But make sure you get a descent one i had a coax that was just as tinny from radio shack.

Can't go wrong with any mid priced ones.

OH and by the way i am totally with Griff on the tone knob thing. Don't unless you really really like it that way. I quit cold turkey and i used to be the one who was always hitting the bass boost button. Nothing but mud. Now i hear alot more inner detail. Of course that has alot to do with owning klipsch to.

I might sound a little mOOnish here, but i also seem to enjoy crancking Base and treble way up. My receiver, Denon AVR3803 has three stereo modes:

Pure Direct - total bypass of all internal circuitry/video shutoff, source DAC

Direct - bypass of internal audio circuitry

Stereo - receiver circuittry controls enabled, including base and treble.

So, the same audio track from the same source in PureDirect and Direct modes sounds to me a little flater and with less sound stage compared to Stereo Mode when i turn the treble and base all the way up.

Is something wrong with my ears?

PS To make things even worse, i have to confess that my most preferred mode for listening to stereo sources is 7/5 channel stereo which is available on Denon. Though base and treble controls are not available in this mode, it simply blows away all other above mentioned modes in terms of the listening pleasure.

Before i went cold turkey i used to crank the high and lows and scoop the mids completely out. And that is how alot of my music i used to listen to was on their guitar amps so i thought this was the way to do it on the receiver. Hay what ever is your bag. Go for it!

LOL... Thats a withdrawl I'm not willing to suffer through.

Actually to be very honest. I never am in my theater to listen to music. The only thing those speakers are used for is movie watching. No other reason to be in there really. I don't just sit in there and listen to music. I'm too restless for that. Got other things to do...

I've got three different setups in our house, two are surround and one is a stereo only setup. The first thing I did when setting each of them up is find the tone defeat button and turn it on.

I completely agree with the others, you have to turn off the boost and let your ears get used to hearing what its supposed to sound like.

----------------

On 3/9/2004 6:26:30 PM Griffinator wrote:

Good. Let me join in with the harassment. What in the heck are you thinking about?!
9.gif

No, seriously. The "loudness" contour is a habit that has to be un-learned. Once you quit the max-treble/max-bass setting cold turkey, you start to appreciate what the mixing engineer intended you to hear, how much more realistic the music is, how much more detailed everything becomes - and that "loudness" sound becomes like nails-on-chalkboard to your ears.

----------------

I am with you Griff! Just for sake of curiosity, I tried the full-on bass and treble, and I thought it sounded like $#!+! The treble was just so grating and ear-piering to me, and the bass just sounded overdriven and muddy - it was horrible! I immediatly turned it back down to the flat setting, and the music just sounded much more natural and well balanced. I'll admit, unlike m00n, I do spend alot of time listening to music on my system. I have not tried cranking everything up on the movies, but after my experience with the music, I'll probably just get the same results with movies.