Corrected Post-MARK III"s with MAC C22

Has anyone had any experience with Dynaco Mark III's with a McIntosh C22 preamp?

Do you have to spend the money that it takes to get a Mac or will a Scott LC-21 or 130 do, as some on the Forum have said?

There is a big price difference. Can you hear the difference?

Thanks for any info.

Mike

Sorry for the double post, but I miss typed Mark II's in the first one. I meant Mark III's

Im using the Dynaco Mark III's completely rebuilt and modified with an Audio Experience Symphonies + preamp, it is hand made by a gentleman in Hong Kong by the name of Chu Chui Wai, I love the sound it produces. It is very open, dynamic and clear and very very smooth. I paid $630 shipped for it and he makes them to order, it is a tube preamplifier with point to point soldering and he uses high quality capacitors and components in the preamp, has 4 RCA inputs for 4 external players. (3) 12AX7A vacuum tubes are used in the stage section , one 6x4 tube with solid state regulator for HV B+ power supply. Individual circuit for volume.

Here is a link to the preamp:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1082620238

Those of us who love vintage preamps are in the minority. They are way too complicated with way too many features for most, but I have been using a C22 in my main system for YEARS and have not found anything else that sounds "right" to me. I can't get behind most of the modern preamps for two HUGE reason-- First is that alomost ALL of the new ones lack a mono switch. If you listen to mono LPs and don't have a mono switch you are really doing yourself a BIIIIIG disservice. They sound noisy and thin until the mono switch kicks in. Second, I listen to jazz shellac 78s at least once a month and without good tone controls you can't listen to them as the curve is NOT RIAA!!!

I don't know about the stand-alone scotts, but have owned a few Fisher preamps and a great number of Scott integrated amps. The MAC will be a lot "darker," and not NEARLY as bright or forward as the Scott. Most of the guys around here LOVE the sound of the Scott and maybe for the type of music they lsiten to they are "better," but if you listen to old jazz LPs you'd be hard pressed to find a better preamp than the McIntosh C22-- it's lush without being syrupy and mates REALLY well with the somewhat dry sounding KT88/6550 amps you own--it will take some of that dry edge off of the Dynacos.

But then again, for $2500 (the going rate for a really nice C22) you could buy a Scott and a few hundred records and be VERY happy. It all depends on how much money you feel comfortable spending, I guess . . .

Never heard a C-22 but I have heard a Scott 130 with my EX Dynaco Mark III's (but keep in mind these amps were very much way beyond stock In fact the only stock part of the circuit was the transformers and choke). The combination was very nice and well balanced the only reason I quit using it was from a wear and tear stand point in my shop I just could not see using the Scott 130 when I was constantly changing out gear for testing I had to replace 3 of the RCA jacks from this and just didn't want to ruin a great vintage preamp. I bet a C-22 would sound awesome too.

Craig

Well, at last count I had about 4500 LP's, so yes, I will be listening to a lot of LP's.

I am not sure whether I will moderize the Mark II's.

Aas a matter of fact I have one playing as one side of my system and my Dynaco St 70 as the other, and frankly I can not hear any difference. Niether in tone or loudess. They both sound just as loud when I crank it up and use the balance to A/B them

Should'nt the MArk II's be louder?

I may not keep them if there realy is not difference in loudness.

HELPPPPP!

Mike

On 3/9/2004 5:50:32 PM NOSValves wrote:

Never heard a C-22 but I have heard a Scott 130 with my EX Dynaco Mark III's (but keep in mind these amps were very much way beyond stock In fact the only stock part of the circuit was the transformers and choke). The combination was very nice and well balanced the only reason I quit using it was from a wear and tear stand point in my shop I just could not see using the Scott 130 when I was constantly changing out gear for testing I had to replace 3 of the RCA jacks from this and just didn't want to ruin a great vintage preamp. I bet a C-22 would sound awesome too. Craig

----------------

Craig,

At Smilin's you heard my C22 with the MC240 - albiet a bit too brief to form a proper opinion. I just hauled out my turntable this weekend - installed a new Grado Black and have been smilin' ever since! I think there are many great preamps out there - the C22 is one of the classics and after 40+ years - still delivers. For those with a vinyl appreciation - check out the Mobile Fidelity pressing of the first Rickie Lee Jones album -WOW!!!!3.gif2.gif9.gif10.gif

MarkBK

"If you are using really efficient speakers they may become so loud with either amp that you can't turn them up much louder before destroying your ears or the drivers."

Sitting 8 feet back with the 40wpc QUADs and Klipschorns -- I can say the ears go long before the drivers do. The truly amazing thing is that my QUAD preamp only has 15db of gain, and I can't take it past the 10 o'clock position without bringing my sanity into question. I've taken the QUADs to what I believe is the limit of what they can do (just past 12 on dial) -- and I can tell you it's nothing short of frightening. I don't sense any compression or clipping -- but my ears are definitely telling me I'm into dangerous territory as far as my hearing is concerned. I did one song like this -- never again.

A free CD for the loon who can guess the Band. Of course, I get to choose the CD.16.gif

----------------

On 3/9/2004 8:48:31 PM DeanG wrote:

"If you are using really efficient speakers they may become so loud with either amp that you can't turn them up much louder before destroying your ears or the drivers."

Sitting 8 feet back with the 40wpc QUADs and Klipschorns -- I can say the ears go long before the drivers do. The truly amazing thing is that my QUAD preamp only has 15db of gain, and I can't take it past the 10 o'clock position without bringing my sanity into question. I've taken the QUADs to what I believe is the limit of what they can do (just past 12 on dial) -- and I can tell you it's nothing short of frightening. I don't sense any compression or clipping -- but my ears are definitely telling me I'm into dangerous territory as far as my hearing is concerned. I did one song like this -- never again.

A free CD for the loon who can guess the Band. Of course, I get to choose the CD.
16.gif
----------------

What a girl !!2.gif

I used a Marantz 7C with "modernized" MkIIIs until today.15.gif It's now packed and will ship out tomorrow. The combo sounded great although the Marantz is about as expensive as the C22 if not more. I guess I'm looking to modernize (keeping a mono switch though for my old mono jazz lps).

I have to say the MkIIIs sound pretty good right now running through the headphone jack of my CD player. Now where did I ever get the idea to do that.2.gif

That Tom Longo guy -- thank God he came to his senses!!

Mark, I'd love to settle in with a pair of Craig's amps, but I would have to sell the QUADs to do it. I really like them, and would hate to part with them. Actually, the three pieces together really have the synergy thing going big time. The QUAD preamp isn't as open sounding as the linestage of the Blueberry, but it really punches out some might fine CLEAN when I'm Rock'in.

Guess I'll have to drag the QUADs to the next Myth and Legends tour, and see how they fair against the Craigmeister's brew -- Providing I can still get into the Parrot's house after all of the sh!t I've given him here in the last couple of months.9.gif

Why thank you Paul. As always, very gracious. I keep telling people you're not small minded -- but no one will believe me. 2.gif

I don't know what the hell a "fops" is, but these British beasts are O.K. in my book. I definitely want The Peach/Very Rotten Dogmeat combo -- but I don't think I could bring myself to sell the QUADs to do it. Did you ever look at the schematic for those things?

Gimme that old dirty pentode sound.

----------------

On 3/9/2004 9:41:08 PM garymd wrote:

I have to say the MkIIIs sound pretty good right now running through the headphone jack of my CD player. Now where did I ever get the idea to do that.
2.gif
----------------

That guy with so little experience I bet
2.gif

Dean,

Paul and I have been planning in very devious detail just how were going to torture your turn coat butt so absolutely your welcome
2.gif

----------------

On 3/9/2004 5:33:20 PM Georg F. Handel wrote:

Im using the Dynaco Mark III's completely rebuilt and modified with an Audio Experience Symphonies + preamp, it is hand made by a gentleman in Hong Kong by the name of Chu Chui Wai, I love the sound it produces. It is very open, dynamic and clear and very very smooth. I paid $630 shipped for it and he makes them to order, it is a tube preamplifier with point to point soldering and he uses high quality capacitors and components in the preamp, has 4 RCA inputs for 4 external players. (3) 12AX7A vacuum tubes are used in the stage section , one 6x4 tube with solid state regulator for HV B+ power supply. Individual circuit for volume.

Here is a link to the preamp:

----------------

Georg,

So from what you say below you already have your Mark III's and new preamp? Give us the complete rundown of what you think about the new gear you have please. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

----------------

On 3/10/2004 12:09:38 AM Piranha wrote:

Georg,

So from what you say below you already have your Mark III's and new preamp? Give us the complete rundown of what you think about the new gear you have please. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

Well, the sound is very smooth and clean. You can just tell that it has some power behind it, I donot have to turn my volume much past the quarter mark to get loud volume, the definition on voices and instruments is nice and there is a spacious feel to the sound through my Marantz SA-8260 on CD audio and SACD. DVD's sound great through my Pioneer DV-563A drive on Dolby 2.0 and LPCM 16bit 48khz on my music videos. I have an external DAC ordered and on the way to hook my Sony 300 disc into and upsample my CD's to 24bit 132khz and see how that turns out. I also have a quad matched pair of Ei KT90's on order to replace the Svetlana 6550's that are in there now, I have heard that the KT90's make a big diffrence over those tubes and can take a very hot bias which i intend to set them at around 1.7 volts which is over 80 mili amps a tube. I want the output transformers to glow red hot1.gif