What should I get next

Thors1982

I just bought the sub... and the power conditioner, but I already want to figure out what I should get next :-)

2 RF-7s

1 RC-7

2 RS-7s

1 RSW-15

Denon 3803

HTS3500 Monster Power Center

Onkyo DXC220 6 disk CD Player

Mitsubishi WS-42311 42" widescreen HDTV 1080i

X-Box :-)

I am thinking the DVD player needs to be replaced. What about everyone else???

Going for a new DVD sounds good to me. One of the combi players like Denon so you can listen to DVD-A and SACD. Then when you get the money and the urge to upgrade again you may want to look for an amp. After that ofcourse you will want to dump the Denon receiver and get a pre/pro. Just never ends.

1.gif

My DVD player was the cheapest part of my Home Theater, it was only like $100.

I really like the Denon 3803, I will upgrade it, but for now it is still new. I really want to upgrade to like a B&K reciever or seperates one day.... but that probably won't be for a couple of years.... trying to slow down the home theater spending :-)

----------------

On 3/10/2004 8:37:01 PM Thors1982 wrote:

I really like the Denon 3803, I will upgrade it, but for now it is still new. I really want to upgrade to like a B&K reciever or seperates one day.... but that probably won't be for a couple of years.... trying to slow down the home theater spending :-)

----------------

Yes, the Denon AVR-3803 is a great receiver. I have a Denon AVR3802 myself. I would not bother upgrading to a bigger reciever, instead, I would get a seperate amp(s) and use the Denon as a pre/pro. That is what I am currently doing with mine, and the Denon works beautifully as a pre/pro.

Me, the next likely upgrade for me will be a new TV, followed by a new Universal player, and eventually followed by a dedicated pre/pro. That is looking a good 5+ years down the road, though (unless I got lucky with the lotto or something).

Now, with the talk of all the really cheap, but nice universal players hitting the market, I may end up getting one a lot sooner then anticipated.

I would think that klipsch sub would flat out crush an svs but i havent' heard one yet. I was going to buy one but got a really good deal on mine. Next step to sell mine and buy and svs if their that good. I would recomend buying another sub would probally be your best bet for movies no doubt. Having two will fill it in better. If you have the room. A tuffy between seperate amp or another sub. Hmmmmmmmmm if you watch more movies go for the sub. Just my opinion and if you got the space. What about an 18 inch sub like and earthquake?

----------------

On 3/10/2004 9:45:23 PM wheelman wrote:

I would think that klipsch sub would flat out crush an svs but i havent' heard one yet. I was going to buy one but got a really good deal on mine. Next step to sell mine and buy and svs if their that good. I would recomend buying another sub would probally be your best bet for movies no doubt. Having two will fill it in better. If you have the room. A tuffy between seperate amp or another sub. Hmmmmmmmmm if you watch more movies go for the sub. Just my opinion and if you got the space. What about an 18 inch sub like and earthquake?

----------------

He just got his RSW-15 few days ago 9.gif

I'd say......... go for some videos like DVD player or even projectors? I'm always wondering what if I'm using RF-35/5/7s and I'm still having small monitor/TV that's smaller than the speakers. 3.gif . IMO I don't like CRT/Plasma...... they get you tired within a movie length

----------------

On 3/10/2004 9:52:48 PM ccsakura wrote:

He just got his RSW-15 few days ago
9.gif

----------------

I agree, I would not bother with getting another sub. The newly aquired RSW-15 he's got now is plenty good and be sufficient. Perhaps later in the future, it may be a consideration, especially if a good deal on one can be found. Either a better DVD or outboard amplification should be the next upgrade move. BTW, just what are you using for the DVD player? I don't see one listed. Are you using the X-Box for DVD playback? If that is the case, then definitly, the next thing to get would be a decent DVD player.

I retract my statement about the sub, I didn't realize that he had one.....must have slipped right by my tired little eyes. Sorry about that.

I have heard the RSW series and the SVS 20-39PC+ and I'll stick to the SVS personally. I have read good reviews of the RCW series, but I think it's over-priced personally. The SVS is a bit cheaper in price, but a very good contender if you are in need of a sub.

So, I would probably go with a new DVD player. And then a amp.

Sorry for the confusion...I'm tired.

I think everyone would agree new DVD player :-) my cheap one just isn't cutting it anymore.

Then, I agree I need an amp, but I am waiting for at least a year for that.... I am broke hehe

I like Wheelmans suggestions.... DVDs are much cheaper than a new amp :-)

Also, where would 2 more speakers for 7.1 fall in all this mess??

Sorry... I didn't even notice my DVD player wasn't listed

I am currently using a

Mitsubishi DD-6040

Anyways thanks for the help everyone

Okay, I honestly don't mean this as a smart buttocks answer, but if I had the system you describe, and I wanted to drop some money on something music/audio related, I'd buy myself a season subscription to the symphony. (Subscriptions to a chamber music series, a jazz series, the opera, etc., would be viable alternatives.)

Reason? It's worthwhile to have a standard against which to measure your audio system, and a standard with which to calibrate your ears. And when all is said and done, live music, played by living, breathing musicians, right in front of me, sounds more "authentic" than does recorded music played back on even the best audio system.

So my advice is to spend $50-1500 on a dozen tickets to live musical performances.

Okay, if I were jonesing for some hardware, I'd buy one of those 65" HDTV monitors, whose prices seem to have recently dropped dramatically. To the extent that a system will be used for home theater, a good quality, huge picture is nice to have. And if one is willing to settle for less than a plasma monitor, the cost is no longer truely outrageous.

If your 42" monitor satisfies you, dump the (admittedly, very nice) Denon 3803 and buy amp(s) and preamp. Although, honestly, there's nothing wrong with the 3803.

Yeah, pick up a DVD player. It's an inexpensive upgrade. (No need to spend big money to get a good DVD player.)

Depending on the specifics of your room, spending money on treating the walls, ceiling, floor, etc., might even be worthwhile. Or buying a new piece of furniture on which to sit and enjoy your system.

Seriously, it doesn't sound like you have any urgent need for better hardware. And it's no sin to hold off and refrain from buying for a while. I mean, buy more stuff, if you like. But it sounds like you're probably already in pretty decent shape, equipment-wise.