Banana Plugs

vandec54

for me it was convienance.....the ones hanging on walls...would be a PIA to use the binding posts with bare wire....but shoving a double banana plug on made my life simpler...plus on the back of reciever it is much easier...with all them other wires....

----------------

On 3/11/2004 3:27:00 PM vandec54 wrote:

Please excuse me for my ignorance, but how exactly does the banana plug go into the speaker end? I have RF3-II's. does the plug get stuck right into the post on the back of the speaker?

----------------

Yuppers....they are called 5 way binding post...

1. Wire through hole crank down

2. Spade end wires

3. them solid copper end doohickey things through hole and crank down

4. Single banana plugs

5. Double banana plugs.

What's probably throwing you is that the speaker posts come with little plastic caps in the end. They need to be pried out with a tiny screwdrive or knife point. They pop out pretty easily once you get an edge under them. Just did mine a few weeks ago. Very tidy.

----------------

On 3/11/2004 3:27:00 PM vandec54 wrote:

Please excuse me for my ignorance, but how exactly does the banana plug go into the speaker end? I have RF3-II's. does the plug get stuck right into the post on the back of the speaker?

----------------

I use and recommend Phoenix Gold Pro Duals. I have used them for 10 years now and they are well worth the money. They can be found at www.partsexpress.com for $6.95 each. You can tighten them down and they never loosen. They accept 9 to 14 guage wire and are stackable.

Keith

I'm going to be using either 14 gauge 4 wire or 12 guage 4 wire cable, and double up on the wires. I'm looking for compression fit banana plugs.

I know if I used 14 guage 4 wire, and double up, the thinkness of the wire will 'just fit' msot plugs ( If I do the math, this confirms it , ie 14 gauge= 0.0641 inches , so 2 leads is 2 x 0.0641 = .1282 which just shy of 8 gauge, and most compression plugs will only take a make of 8 guage).

BUT it I go with 12 gauge 4 wire, and double up, leads are 12 gauge = 0.0808, so 2 leads is 2 x .0808 =.1616, which close to 6 gauge! I cant seem to find a banana plug to fit!

Is there such a thing, or should I just stick with 14 guage 4 wire.

Man , so many variations even with plugs!

What's the deal with 'locking plugs'?

At first I thought this referred to the wire being locked in via a set screw, but I gather that's synomomous with compression, and this has nothing to do with locking plugs.

I was told locking plugs are terminated the same way (eg screw) as a non-locking plugs, but when inserted into a 5 way binding post, can be twisted and locked into place .

Eg: http://www.speakerrepair.com/ebaypics/banana-l-side-appart.jpg

So does this mean:

a) that the vertical locking portion of the pluh is spring loaded such that is disappears as you push the plug in and then springs open (kind of like a toggle bolt)?

B) that all binding posts can accoomdate a locking plug?

Are locking plugs the norm given they have that advantage thay cannot easily be pulled out, or is this just marketing hype and non-locking plugs are just fine?

I have the regular, non-locking plugs from speakerrepair.com and they fit quite snugly into both my receiver and speakers. They would never fall or slip out without a tug.

I can't imagine why any set-up would want locking plugs, considering that would probably lead to damage if the wire were pulled, tripped upon, etc. And if it won't be pulled, why need to lock them?

I still can't believe they were only $30 for 20 while BB wants $20 for 4 Monster brand plugs that aren't nearly as nice. Behold the power of marketing and brand recognition.

I've got to get me some of that.

9.gif

----------------

On 3/13/2004 7:21:30 AM tripod wrote:

speakerrepair has those too. Are all the posts that distance apart, even on receivers?

They have them for about $3 each, or $2 each if you buy 20.

----------------

you need to check your receiver.... i know that pioneer elite receivers are not the standard spacing.... you need to get individual plugs for that application....

Part Number 091-1260

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-1260

$6.95 for a set of 2 red and 2 black connectors....

1.gif

I have tried many of those bananas from Parts Express and the quality is reflected in their price. Some are useless, to me. I personally would buy good plugs or use bare wire. Of course, everyone has their priorities I guess.

Keith