Winter Park Colorado

T_Shomaker

My family is going to go to Winter Park for Spring Break this year and I was a little curious about the place. How are the runs espically the black and double blacks. I told my stepdad that if he went down a double black I would too (he is a really good skier and has succesfully been down one before). How are the lessons there. Is this place going to be packed? Is it a haven for idiots?

Thanks,

Taylor

Yeah, I've been to Winter Park a couple of times. Great Place. They have some nice runs though I'm not an excellent skier so I stayed away from the Blacks. Generally the crowds weren't to bad though being the popular resort that it is and depending on when you go it may be more crowded than other times. During spring break it will probably be pretty crowded.

It's been years, but Winter Park was one of my favorite places to ski. With two mountains Mary Jane and Winter Park you get a great variety of trails. Mary Jane is mainly black & blue trails and Winter Park - mainly blue and green. One of the things that I liked was there are quite a few short black trails and black trails with "bail-out" junctions. During spring break it's gonna be crowded, but Mary Jane won't be near as busy as Winter Park. Have fun!

check these out! trail maps

Winter Park is great! It tends to lean slightly toward more advanced skiiers. If your planning on taking lessons, I haven't heard any complaints. I live in Fort Collins myself(about 3 hours away) so I get there a few times a year. I'll be just up the road at Copper Mountain over spring break. Have fun, just don't kill yourself!2.gif

Oh you guys are so lucky. The best place I can hit up which is still 8 hours drive away is lake tahoe, which is blah compared to Colorado I'm sure. Colorado is one of the best places to ski on earth isn't it? I mean, along with Utah, Canada, and Sweden, was it?

Hey om13934, I live in Ft. Collins as well, finishing up my last semester at CSU. It's cool to see another Coloradoan, especially from Ft. Collins.

Anyways, Winter Park is a real fun ski resort. Like mentioned above, there are two main mountains, Winter Park and Mary Jane. Mary Jane (majority blacks and blues) leans towards the more advanced area of the two while Winter Park (majority blues and greens) is the easier. Winter Park will probably be decently full on the weekends, but not as much during the week, mostly due to it's slightly less convienent location from Denver (you have to drive over Berthoud Pass to get to it, instead of just shooting up I-70 like most of hte other big resorts). A haven for idiots... I would not say so, I am sure you will all enjoy yourselves.

Winter Park:

New Snow: 0"

Base Depth: 66" - 69"

Lifts Open: 18 of 23

Surface Snow: Packed Powder

• Like 1

I've been to Winter Park a couple of times. I think it's worth the extra drive off I-70. It is large. Even when it's crowded, I'm sure you can find a run or two for yourself. I've been to CO skiing on several occasions. I'd say the only thing that separates the blues/blacks/dbl blacks is the number and size of the moguls. The blacks aren't any steeper/longer/more exposed per say, just they are generally mogul runs. I think this is especially true for Winter Park.

----------------

On 3/11/2004 10:05:01 PM Jim Cornell wrote:

When you get off I-70 onto 40, your ganna drive right through my little town of Empire stop in.

Regards Jim
9.gif

----------------

I really wish I could but I don't think that my mom and my stepdad are going to want to go listen to some speakers after that long drive from St. Louis.

If you want the best bowl skiing you should go to Arapahoe Basin. Not to far from Breckenridge. They have a black run there that is called Pavalicinni. Right down the main lift that will let everyone see how well you can do. Talk about some pressure. Used to live there from 79-81. Loveland pass is not to bad as it is more for the locals. If you go to Idaho Springs there is a pizza place called Beau Joe's Mountain Pies. Highly recommended. Cheers

Ahhh, Winter Park...many fond memories hangin' out at Rollins College with my buds watchin' the babes sunbathe on the campus lawn beside the palm trees...

Uh, you're not talkin' about Winter Park, Florida, are you? Oops, my bad.

Spent 12 weeks at Lowry Air Force Base in Denver (now closed), and traveled throughout CO. Loved Royal Gorge, Red Rocks Ampitheatre, but especially Pikes Peak (lost my virginity there at over 14,000' above sea level...that was cool)!

Ahh, Red Rocks. The Dead '79 what a show. Went to school at

the School of Mines across from the Coors brewery. On Friday's we would slip out of Integral Calc and have a few.

Luckily the teacher would also show up.

If you get so inclined go to The Historic Mint restaurant in Dillon. Great place. Cheers.