AMC THEATRE ????

love_hertz

Just curious? Anyone in this forum work at a BIG namebrand theatre? If so what kind of speakers are behind those big humungous screens? Before a show starts, when the lights are on you can see the surround speakers, I counted 8 speakers and upclose you can see the JBL symbol. Anyone have pictures to show what gear they have at these BIG showings? Thanks.

EV is also a big player in theatre sound. Some AMC auditoriums used a rig called the Petronis, after it's designer. Some AMC screens were not suited for the placement of speakers behind them; above the screen the Petronis rig used an EV coax with a compression driver and CD horn nestled in the mouth a a straight basshorn. The subwoofers are placed below the screen. I've heard the Petronis and it's very good.

An excellent multiplex near me, the Showplace, uses EV speakers. These theatres have excellent sound and picture, thay care about a quality presentation.

Classic Cinemas, a Chicago chain of dollar shows, uses HPS-4000 rigs in their theatres; this system used Klipsch speakers. HPS sounds very good.

It's interesting how Altec, which once completely dominated theatre sound, dropped the ball when theatre owners demanded systems that got louder and went lower. But aggresively led JBL was Johnny-on-the-spot. Of course the old Altec VOTs are still the best sounding theatre rigs in terms of tonality and midrange realism but the new rigs have more boom-boom.

All in all I'd say the finest digital multi-channel theatre rigs today still don't sound quite as good as the multi-channel magnetic sound 70mm roadshow epics of the 50s and 60s reproduced over Altec A4s driven by Western Electric and Altec tube amps. But perhaps my memory is faulty. But I'll NEVER forget the sound of Ben-Hur, South Pacific, El-Cid, Cleopatra and How the West was Won in those downtown roadshow houses. Hell, that's what got me into hi-fi. 1.gif

From a rep of www.senator.com, a authentic 800 seat vintage theater in Baltimore, MD.

We have always kept our system state-of-the-art and it is a fortuitous combination of factors that results in the sound quality we are able to achieve.

It's got a lot to do with the relatively large auditorium, its asymmetrical shape, the high ceiling, the 8 / 18 inch JBL subwoofers with huge QSC amps, the 5 modified Altec "Voice of the Theatre" bass cabinets behind the screen with JBL horns, bi-amped with active crossovers powered by QSC amps, and the 12 Klipsh "Heresy" surrounds speakers , powered by QSC amps that all adds up to a really sweet and powerful combination.

Glad to hear that you "get" what we are all about regarding our sound quality.

Put THAT in your HT!

I should ask this guy I know about this one...

He is the THX calibrator for all of the MARCUS theaters in the Midwest

he also has the best home theater I've ever heard/seen...in his crazy soundproof THX spec'd apartment...

he had the B&W THX system with the 802 grade subwoofer(i don't know the model--the big black glossy one...) powered by Lexicon and Parasound. He had the projector that rolled out of the ceiling via remote, and it was all hooked into line doublers and other such gizmos. For movies it was spectacular...for music...it was loud.

LOL--when Gladiator was in the theaters I wanted to see it in a 6.1 enviorment at least. I mentioned it to him and he asked what theater I was going to. I told him and he said "ok..don't go to the 9:20 show, that theater isn't as nice as the 10:05 show. when you get there you want to sit "x" # of rows back from the screen and 2 chairs off of center because thats where the calibration point is because my guy was off by a little for the rear surrounds and we haven't got over there to fix it yet.."

it amused me that he knew exactly where I should sit....

LH---Use this link to the Lansing Heritage website. Looking around there you'll find articles on the history of motion picture theatre loudspeakers with many photos of WE Mirrorphonic and Fletcher systems, MGM Shearer Horns and the Altec VOT. You'll also find catalogs with JBL and Altec theatre speakers. www.audioheritage.org

Also, the very site we're on here has info and photos on Klipsch theatre speakers.

For more theatre speaker info check the websites of JBL Pro, EV and HPS-4000.

For what is worth. The Omnimax at Navy Pier in Chicago uses JBL.

A few years ago during a show they turned on the light behind the screen to show off the multitude of speakers. At least the JBL logo was on some of them. I assume they were all JBL.

Gil