Best A/V Receiver for Klipsch RF15-25-35

aaabbas

I'm a nubee and need help.

I recently purchased a reference surround sound configuration with RF15's, with an Onkyo SR701 A/V Receiver. I am very disappointed. The high's were great but the mid's were almost non-existant and the lows not very pronounced, even with my RF 8" sub.

I'm looking at exchanging my receiver with another and am looking for suggestions on which would compliment the Klipsch the most. I'm told the combination with Onkyo and Klipsch is not a very good one, since both are very Briliant by nature.

I'm also considering upgrading to RF25's or 35's. My family room is approximately 18 x 20, with 10' high cielings which is also open to the kitchen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Andy

----------------

On 3/16/2004 3:00:58 PM aaabbas wrote:

I'm a nubee and need help.

I recently purchased a reference surround sound configuration with RF15's, with an Onkyo SR701 A/V Receiver. I am very disappointed. The high's were great but the mid's were almost non-existant and the lows not very pronounced, even with my RF 8" sub.

I'm looking at exchanging my receiver with another and am looking for suggestions on which would compliment the Klipsch the most. I'm told the combination with Onkyo and Klipsch is not a very good one, since both are very Briliant by nature.

I'm also considering upgrading to RF25's or 35's. My family room is approximately 18 x 20, with 10' high cielings which is also open to the kitchen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Andy

----------------

I've noticed that many of the postings on the AVR forum talk about how Onkyo do not sound good with Klipsh. I haven't "heard" this in a showroom, but that is why I like feedback from people that have.

A really good match are the PIONEER elite line--they have a very laid-back, not to bright sound which balances well with the Klipsch sound.

here is a great forum link. If you are in no hurry, and do some reading you can find a good match.

http://pub106.ezboard.com/baussiedvdandhtforum

here is the largest forum on the planet--if you post there you'll probably get quite a few responses to your question as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=90

some of the things I've been told that sound good with the Klipsch speakers are Pioneer Elite,H/K, ROTEL,B&K(I hear B&K just sound WONNNDERRRFULL with Klipsch...very warm, rich sound..but they are pricey in compairison to the other brands out there..)...

The ones that I've read about that DONT sound good with Klipsh..

Sony, Denon, Integra(higher end Onkyo)

the ones people were "back and forth" on

Yamaha(many say its very bright) and NAD(NAD are very neutral-some LOVE it..some dont)

I think bang for the buck the Pio ELITE line has some nice pieces that aren't "flagship" but have a great sound none the less and compliment Klipsch very well.

If you go to the forums I would think the best way to ask this question would be to find out which receivers are "naturally" bright in sound. A Bright receiver with bright speakers will sound very harsh. SOME say Klipsh are naturally a little bright(I'm not saying they are, I'm just saying this is what people have said), and if this is true you want to find a more neutral sounding receiver to balance that out. It also, could be your cables as well, but thats a whole other ball of monkeys that I'm sure someone will bring up....

I hope this helps a little, Sorry about your first purchase--I know how much of a letdown it can be when you unpack a piece, hook it up, and are just dissatisfied with the sound, pack it up again and take it back...

Welcome. Get ready for a fun ride, the upgrade roller coaster!!

1) Receivers: Harmon Kardon or Denon. I owned two H/K receivers, and both H/K and Denon sound great with Klipsch reference series. Much warmer and ballsier (sp?). I have run an AVR 525 and now an AVR 7200 with Klipsch reference 3II and 35 series and am now making the leap to a compact reference seven front (RB75s, RC7).

2) Subs: depends on your budget. If you want to stay Klipsch, at least a RW12 (or preferably) a RSW12 or RSW15. I actually prefer SVS and HSU subs to Klipsch, both performance-wise and buy-wise (for the money). My personal favorites of both companies (for the money) are the SVS PB2-ISD (or PB2+) or the HSU VTF-3MkII. If you wanted to stay about $600 or under, I would recommend an SVS 20-39PCi or a HSU VTF-2. I own both (in addition to a PB2-ISD), and both are great subs for $600 or under.

3) Mains: Try #1 or #2 first. Then, certainly upgrading to a RF25 or RF35 front would be a good idea. (or heck, just jump straight to sevens). One thing to consider - if you contemplate ever running multi-channel discrete music (DVD-Audio, SACD), you may want to keep your RF15s and use them as surrounds. Having been recently hooked to DVD-Audio and SACD, I moved my RF3IIs to my side surrounds because direct-radiating speakers perform better in the medium (as compared to surrounds: RS35s, etc.)

Good luck and keep us posted.

-----------------

Samsung TXN3245FP, Harmon Kardon AVR 7200, Denon DVD-2900

RB75s (ordered), RC7(ordered), RFIIs, RC3II, SVS PB2-ISD, SVS 20-39PCi

Yamaha RX-V1300, Onkyo SKS-HT500, Axiom QS-8, HSU VTF-2

I would first look a Yamaha or Denon. I've owned a Denon and currently use a Yamaha, both were/are very nice, but there is a myriad of choices. H.K., Onkyo, the afore mentioned Yamaha & Denon, Pioneer Elite and the list goes on. Any of these SS units should work well in a HT set up. Dont under power your set up though you want to run your AVR in its cleanest and most efficient range. Youre likely to get as many different responses as you get responders. If you are looking for a true 7.1 you will have to pony up a few more $$. Most of the less expensive AVRs that offer 7.1 do so with a modified 5.1 where the rear and sides surrounds are really the same split channels. My suggestion is to Demo them in a set up where the peripherals (speakers, DVD/CD,etc) are the same units. That way can compare equals and not your retailers preference. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your Onkyo. I have the TX-DS797B and absolutely love mine. Are you sure you don't have problems with your room? I run Heresy's and until I upgraded from my SW8 I thought the sound was excellant. I ran my sub in a corner loading and was amazed at the sound it produced. Of course the new subs are better and I can hear what I was missing.

Try repositioning your speakers and see what happens. Then you will be tweeking for the rest of your life. Cheers.

My family room has the same dimensions as yours. After reading a bunch of posts from this forum and some others, I went with the Denon 3803. Absolutely love it. I demoed the Pioneer Elite 45tx, the HK (forgot the model #), and the Yamaha RXV2400. I liked the sound from the Denon but this is personal preference. The best thing to do is see what your budget is going to be and get a few models and demo them yourself. This is what I did. Good luck!