Winter's last gasp?

Parrot

Wow, that's beautiful Paul. Here in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California we have to endure 84.6ºF at 1:00 p.m. with a gentle breeze and clear blue skies... hmmm, maybe my next project should be a 6.1 meadow in a wooded glen. Actually, the weather has been far better than usual for this time of year. Our on site weather station is predicting rain... so I guess I'll crow before my feathers get wet. Enjoy the seasons! -HornEd

PS: We also have no shortage of Red-breasted Robins or Red-headed Peckers either... it's like we went from mild winter to temperate spring to warm summer breezes in just a few weeks.

Yesterday that had 15-18 inches in Iowa, around 300 miles south of me. I took the afternoon off and was at home tearing apart an old wooden shed/work shop/storage area, sweating like a butcher in just a t-shirt and jeans and 42 degrees. Old owners had 7 layers of roll type roofing on in with nails every 2 inches along the edges. ICK. I'm ready for sun and some warmth, myself. We've had our 70 inches of snow this year, I need to see the waves out the picture window, not snow drits!!

Yesterday there was just a hint of green in the grass of Lincoln Park. Today there was a little snow.

Saying that "Spring is here" is just tempting fate.

Ha. I'm off to L.A. on business tomorrow. If time permits I'm going to stop at Disneyland. Smile.

Gil

At least you have seasons, here in TX we generally have hot and cold, or green and brown. I really enjoy your part of the country, but can't imagine living through all that winter weather. My backyard is already an Ortho weedkiller test ground, but that's probably my own fault.2.gif Enjoy it while it lasts.

Paul,

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful. Growing up in the south, I've never seen snow enough to get tired of it. My kid attitude drives my wife (who is from Iowa) crazy. She suggests to spend one winter in the midwest and I'd have had enough!

Thanks, Daddy. It's all just a matter of personal preference. Many people leave Ohio, especially as they get older, just to get away from winter weather, and never seem to regret it. But I love it. Jasmine the dog can't get enough of snow. She turns into a sled dog when her feet touch it and she's always running, or diving headlong into drifts. This is Jasmine in the center.

jazcenter.jpg

Beautiful pictures Paul, especially the first one. It's been a wild winter. Just 2 1/2 weeks ago we, here in Piedmont of NC, had 8" of snow, some had well over 12", and 3 days later it hit 68 degrees and it was gone. Then last weekend we had a freak wind storm to come through with a cold front. They said the jet stream dipped down to 15K ft. We had sustained wind of 45 and a gust 74mph, lots of wind damage. We had no idea what was going on, came out of theatre and and was almost blown away. No power at work for 2 days, I work about 3 blocks from downtown Charlotte. Bring on spring!

BTW: Rock Hill, SC had 18-22" of snow out of that snow storm.

----------------

On 3/16/2004 4:23:58 PM paulparrot wrote:

Ohio was hit with a snowstorm late last night, maybe 6 inches. Good to see some white stuff once again before Spring.

----------------

Oh yes, how I remember living in Ohio, but only briefly. Here in Virginia, we got only rain today. Yeah, that storm that dumped on North Carolina just missed us to the south. It seemed this winter, the snow either misses us to the north or just to the south. We did get a couple of good dumpings here, but I've definitly seen worse.

However, will be interesting to see what I encounter when going up to Vermont for this weekend. From looking at the weather reports, it looks like there is another storm forcasted thursday/friday - and we may be right in the middle of it there at Killington. The skiing is going to be freaking awesome!

We got rain like Steve said and I got rear-ended because some idiot decided to drive 40 mph when everyone else was going 10. She slammed into a sweet young 24 yr old girl in a little Chevy Prizm who in turn nailed my rear-end. My teeth rattled I got hit so hard. Traffic was slow because of the rain and the fact that we had JUST passed another similiar accident. The girl was taken to the hospital but luckily is OK (I called her just a little while ago). Luckily MD changed the law regarding who's responsible in those situations. It's now the driver at fault as opposed to who hit you. My Acura survived it pretty well although half my exhaust system is hanging about 6 inches from the ground. I still have a headache, neckache, backache, etc. and since I've had 3 back/neck surgeries over the past 15 years, something like this usually bothers me for a few weeks. The worst part is dealing with repairs, rental cars and insurance companies (3 different ones). Not to mention a car is just never quite the same after an accident.7.gif

It's all due to audio really (and this forum). I was on my way to the post office to mail out a few lps to someone here!15.gif

----------------

On 3/16/2004 10:45:42 PM Grateful11 wrote:

BTW: Rock Hill, SC had 18-22" of snow out of that snow storm.

----------------

Hey Now! That's awfully close to my old stomping grounds, having been born and raised in Camden, SC. I attended a few magnificent concerts at Byrnes Auditorium and the incredible 4 manual Aeolian Skinner Organ in that space. I don't know if you've ever been in Byrnes Auditorium at Winthrop, but if you ever get a chance to hear a performance there, GO!

the last time I was in Charlotte was 1979 for the good 'ole Grateful Dead.

ah.. memories.

We didn't get any snow to speak of in Kentucky this year. Bums me out. If it's going to be cold, at least it could be pretty for a few days.

Beautiful pictures, Paul, thanks for posting them.

ciao,

Forrest

I don't have a camera but here in PA we got alot especially on top of the hill. I looked out on my deck and their was like two foot. It was pressing pretty hard on the glass doors. I love fall and spring. But winter nah. It's cool at first but whoa give me a break we got it big time this year and temperatures were torture.

----------------

On 3/16/2004 11:28:39 PM garymd wrote:

We got rain like Steve said and I got rear-ended because some idiot decided to drive 40 mph when everyone else was going 10. She slammed into a sweet young 24 yr old girl in a little Chevy Prizm who in turn nailed my rear-end. My teeth rattled I got hit so hard. Traffic was slow because of the rain and the fact that we had JUST passed another similiar accident. The girl was taken to the hospital but luckily is OK (I called her just a little while ago). Luckily MD changed the law regarding who's responsible in those situations. It's now the driver at fault as opposed to who hit you. My Acura survived it pretty well although half my exhaust system is hanging about 6 inches from the ground. I still have a headache, neckache, backache, etc. and since I've had 3 back/neck surgeries over the past 15 years, something like this usually bothers me for a few weeks. The worst part is dealing with repairs, rental cars and insurance companies (3 different ones). Not to mention a car is just never quite the same after an accident.
7.gif

It's all due to audio really (and this forum). I was on my way to the post office to mail out a few lps to someone here!
15.gif

----------------

Gary,

Glad to hear you survived! I was in a similar situation about 6 or 7 years ago, but I was the middle car. I didn't get injured, but my truck was totalled (it doesn't take that much). You're right about all the other dealings being a PITA. I guess the real question is: Are the LPs OK??

Paul, beautiful pictures! We've been having Ed's weather here. It was so nice out yesterday morning, I decided to leave it out all day.

Hi Forrest,

Here's a link to some pictures of the snow. They're not mine but it's all I could find. The one picture shows 13" in Rock Hill but a friend of mine, who is originally from Ohio, said he measured 18-22". They had thundersnow too that night. I've only seen that once in the blizzard of '93, when the NC mountains got over 3ft in some places.

http://www.charlotteappleclub.org/photogallery/FebSnow/FebSnow.html

Grateful