OT: A very, very sobering read

Griffinator

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for shingling in with a solar wind, Griff. With lots of mountain acres, a better solar solution (i.e., cost-effective and minimally obtrusive) is a part of my ecological concerns. I am building a low emission hybrid rubber-tired "train" and narrow- gauge road system to provide "low-mass" transportation in the pristine expansion contemplated for my resort. -HornEd

PS: While the bulk of our energy here in the Santa Cruz Mountains can be traced to fossil fuels, we mountain folk tend to be of hardy, frugal and ecologically sound stock. So far, renewable sources of energy have made us feel good... but not provided the cost-effective alternative they were cracked up to be.

Griff,

I'm real interested in this stuff, too. Keep in touch. It's time for a new roof on my house, and I'd love to explore solar panels that have a bit more WAF, if you catch my rays...

DEAN......It will not be easy to change to other fossel fuel sources but it can be done. Believe me we are working on it. & it will be forth comeing. Dont worry about the mid east & Russia putting the Squeeze on our balls. Im Russion & I wouldnt think of touching your balls. The greatest producer of greenhouse gases is china. BUT as a so called devloping nation they are exempted by the international Kyoto treaty from cutting its carbon dioxide emmissions. China spews out 19 million tons of sulfer dioxide a year & contributing mightily to acid rain. 700,000 lives are lost every year & respiratory diseases cause nearly a quarter of all deaths in the countryside. That news usally doesnt get out to our end of the world. How will China unengineer that problem is anybodys guess. China is producing 20 milliontons of raw sewage produced in the cities each year. ONLY 10 PERCENT of which is treated. Its dumped straight into the rivers and lakes. Chinese scientists are finding direct links between water pollution and high rates of liver, stomach & esophageal cancers. Their consumption of oil will soon out strip ours.

----------------

On 3/19/2004 10:58:09 AM fini wrote:

Griff,

I'm real interested in this stuff, too. Keep in touch. It's time for a new roof on my house, and I'd love to explore solar panels that have a bit more WAF, if you catch my rays...

----------------

Here's another link for the solar shingles.

http://www.oksolar.com/roof/

I'm really intrigued by that prospect. Particularly since the potential damage to the glass "reinforced" panels is high in my area, where we get more hail and ice in the winter than snow. And hey - WAF has to be good on a product that looks just like a regular shingle.

Somebody mentioned that this topic might NOT be appropriate here, but I think that some aspects of US and global economy are certainly appropriate to an home movie and music reproduction system forum. Take exchange rates, dollar values and outsourcing. (Is it better to give than receive?)

All other things being equal (they are most assuredly NOT), some countries can make our front-end equipment for less than we can. Their dollar exchanges at a rate lower than our USD. Is it better to receive those items, or give the jobs here, locally, and spend more of our hard earned paychecks?

When the USD is strong, imports are cheap. Is it better to ignore global currency trends, pay more and buy here at home? How about when the USD weakens? Should the countries we refuse to buy goods from, should they in turn also refuse to buy our goods?

When you need a component for your HT system, should you buy a piece built in $17/hr US or use the $.17/hr Indian labor rate?

7.gif

Colin : Case in point would be general moters , how many jobs were lost in both the united states and canada combined so they could build there product in mexico ?

The olny way general moters could offer a product at a reasonable price was to build it cheaper , unions have driven labour costs in canada and the usa past a profitable point for the manufacturing industry.

Silicon vally is another case in point , products are developed there but manufactured in china or other sweat labour nations .

The worlds an even changeing place Eh ? There is a old chineses saying that goes something like " May you live in intresting times " .

We sure are .

something else to consider....

China is starting to be a big user of oil products...including oil as fuel...

and when they get all them billions of peeps in cars....they will be the largest users.....something to ponder as the world grows older and wiser...

----------------

On 3/19/2004 10:26:19 AM LOADEDTUNES wrote:

No i'm not anti-american , i'm just another person on the ouside looking in .

Our countries are so close together that , what one does effects the other .

No harm no foul ? I already said i was sorry for bring this up .
15.gif

----------------

Sorry too, LT. I was so long in composing my response to you, that by the time I'd posted it, you'd already extinguished the flame. Please forgive me for being so quick on the trigger. Politics and religion, Oy! Somebody needs to keep a waterhose trained on me at all times.

It's alright .1.gif

Some subject matter has a way of hitting home harder then others , depends who you are what you do and where your from .

I guess the BSE thing was more behind my rant than i'd like to admit to myself. My brother took over our family farm after the folks passed on , he lost the farm a few week after christmas due to the mad cow deal.

I'm still a bit pissed at him , but it's not his fault . Just hard to see the family farm disappear , place with so many childhood memories. But i can't wish living in poverty on my own brother and thats where he was headed.

Simply amazing how 1 sick cow effects the lives of an entire country .

Better we found it and kept it out of the food chain then have people contract this illness.

There is website that has been around for awhile under the topic of different forms of energy, which they claim exist now. (ZERO POINT ENERGY, Quantum Vacuum) According to the web site, the US government, oil, and nuclear industries are conspiring to keep these new technologies from going public because of the greed of those industries.

There is HUGE money at stake here. If such FREE ENERGY technologies did exist and could bring energy to all, I would imagine they would go to extreme measure to keep things under the carpet as long as possible.

Check it out... Warning It's deep stuff.

http://www.seaspower.com/EnergyDisclosureDec122003.htm

----------------

On 3/19/2004 10:53:15 AM steelie wrote:

... and, my understanding is that any excess power you generate from your solar panels you can sell back to the electric company, right?

shoulda finished reading your post grif

----------------

I am pretty sure your right on the money their. As for Alaska don't we have alot of oil there. I know we should go alternative but we could use the alaska oil untill we get switched. But it isn't going to happen no way. The only thing is were going to have to set examples to other people so others may be positively influenced. Me and my friends have been talking about this for sometime. I have alot of carpenter friends that think solar is good. It's more expensive but it will pay for itself in the long run. Alot of people just arent going to be able to afford it. Have you seen the hbo undercover special blue vinyl? how bad vinyl is for the environment? But it's cheap and that is what people want. Cheap oil, cheap homes. Everything helps no doubt even us talking about it. Just watching that tv show makes me never want to buy vinyl siding.

Too bad the guy is very uninformed.

Before any of the dire consequences these individuals seem to think will happen, they (and all of you for that matter) should take a close look at nanotechnology. All of the things they describe and fear are already being addressed at a furious pace in nanotech R&D labs all over the world. This is no longer some 'beam-me-up-Scotty' sci-fi fanstasy. In fact, many, if not all of you are, or have used, nanotechnology products already. It is truely the next 'industrial revolution'. And it will eventually (10-20 years) have a major impact on virtually industry group. Interestly enough, even Haliburton Oil is investing heavily in it. Their wholey owned subsidiary Brown & Root, owns (& shares facilities) with Houston based Carbon Nanotechnologies Inc., a Rice University spin-off.

In the meantime.....if you're worried about gas & oil prices, I suggest you simply invest in it. My current pick is PetroKazahkstan (PKZ). Based in Kazahkstan, a former Soviet Union 'state', the 8th largest country in the world, borders western China (also a near & future term big oil user), & they also export oil to Iran of all places. They also drill in Canada & the US gets about 50% of its oil imports from Canada.

Cheers

Has anyone heard of plasma technology ofcource. But have you heard NASA using it for a source to excellerate their space shuttles (speed of light mayby)? I can't quite remember but it was interesting i seen it on the NASA channel. And i still want to know what's up with the Alaska oil.

----------------

On 3/19/2004 5:55:36 PM tbabb wrote:

I don't think it was plasma technology. It is an Ion propulsion drive. Takes years for it go get up to speed, but can accelerate forever.

- tb

----------------

I am pretty sure it was plasma. Man now i am going to have to start watching NASA. I like some of the educational stuff on their. I just forget i have it. I wish i could of been more specific. But i am pretty sure it was plasma. Almost positive. Damn my short term memory.

Tbabb i agree with you on them keeping a lid on the new technologies and i heard rumors of oil companies have a monopoly on patents or buy out all the new patents for new fuel sources. It's messed up what people will do for money and not their brothers and sisters. But i got the point Griff was trying to make. We should start now bettering ourselves and conserve as much energy as possible and for Godsakes lets start helping others and future others instead of being greedy F#$ks. And that goes for every country. God Bless all nations. If we were all Blessed their would be no need for war. Peace out