2 pairs of Moondogs now on E-Bay !.......................

Cut-Throat

"it will probably be a cold day in hell before a set (Moondogs) show up used on Audiogon." (11/10/03, DeanG)

There had been five set of Moondogs popping up on eBays and Audiogon in the past four months and Hell is still hot everyday!

----------------

On 3/18/2004 7:00:00 PM neo33 wrote:

"it will probably be a cold day in hell before a set (Moondogs) show up used on Audiogon." (11/10/03, DeanG)

There had been five set of Moondogs popping up on eBays and Audiogon in the past four months and Hell is still hot everyday!
----------------

I wonder why ?

Hi, Neo:

I like the Moondogs because they are a very straightforward and good sounding -- rather classic -- SET amplifiers. I just have a fondness for them, and have had them and used them for a long time.

The parafeed DRDs are MUCH quiter, have better and faster transient detail, use no coupling capacitors between stages, have power supply isolation because of the Ultrapath connection on the output, as well as a partial bypass on the 2A3 cathode resistor. Like Leo with his parafeed Moondogs, as well as Lessard's Horus, I have gone back and forth with the input stage cathode resistor bypass capacitor. At this point, I'm not using a capacitor in that position. Nor do I have the grid stopper resistor that is on the stock DRD amps.

I like them both, but the reasons are different. The parafeed DRDs have such a low residual noise floor, and that's just a characteristic I like in an amplifier. I always wonder if Ron W. would sell the DRD kits without the OPT. One could take those savings and use it toward plate chokes and parafeed OPTs. The DRD is really the closest thing to my amps now available, and I just modeled the input stage on mine after the work done on the DRDs by Jack Eliano and Ron. W. I just built the best qualities of two amps I really liked (DRD and the Horus) into a single different design. There is really nothing left of the former Horus at this point, but it was/is an excellent amp.

If you found a well-built pair of Moondogs, it wouldn't be a mistake (in my opinion) to make that investment. They would last a lifetime and still be great sounding SET amps! I'm a collector, I guess, which would also explain the 15 or so antique chiming clocks we have in the house. Our house is like a tube-driven clock shop!

Sorry for the long-winded reply to your question, Neo. Make sure of the build quality, and ask for pictures of the inside of the amps if you're considering this as a possibility.